Sunaco 93 octane or ExxonMobil?

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I keep switching between the two assuming that the cleaning agents are different. If you had to choose one. Which one? The connection between NASCAR and Sunaco pulls me in that direction... but... That is just marketing. Thoughts?
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I keep switching between the two assuming that the cleaning agents are different. If you had to choose one. Which one? The connection between NASCAR and Sunaco pulls me in that direction... but... That is just marketing. Thoughts?
Cleaning agents are probably the same, as long as both are listed as top tier, which I know Exxon is. Don't fall for the fancy wording, it's all gimmicks. If the station is listed as top tier, you are good to go.

The governor here in CA has launched an investigation into why name brand gas stations are charging so much, when the gas they dispense is no different from the smaller stations

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The real question is what should I do to get 93 octane in California, when my highest unleaded option nearest me is 91?

I have options to blend octane boosters or E85. I'm on a TSP Stage 1 tune, stock clutch, and no flex fuel kit.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The real question is what should I do to get 93 octane in California, when my highest unleaded option nearest me is 91?

I have options to blend octane boosters or E85. I'm on a TSP Stage 1 tune, stock clutch, and no flex fuel kit.
I would say stick with and live with 91. You are not losing much from 93. You would need 93 or flex fuel when trying to make over 250 or 300 WHP, which would require fbo and tuning. With TSP stage 1, 91 octane is fine, at least that is what my fuel trims and k control showed

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sunoco 93 Ultra has been exceptional for me, has the Top Tier detergents and is consistently cheaper than Shell 93.

As far as 91 versus 93, get the 93 with a tune (if you can) to keep knock control as low as possible with something like the TSP Map 3. I mean, the numbers Derek's posting are with 93 as far as I know.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
They're both good. See which one has the best rewards program and go with that.

I do work for Marathon Petroleum Corporation in the midwest, drive a pickup ~1000 miles a week and just rack up Speedway rewards points. (Marathon owns speedway). So I just always get Speedway gas and rack up as many points as possible and exchange the points for fuel gift cards.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sunoco 93 Ultra has been exceptional for me, has the Top Tier detergents and is consistently cheaper than Shell 93.

As far as 91 versus 93, get the 93 with a tune (if you can) to keep knock control as low as possible with something like the TSP Map 3. I mean, the numbers Derek's posting are with 93 as far as I know.
They say 91 octane is minimum. They tested on 93. Unfortunately we cannot get 93 in California, the chemical they used (MTBE) to boost the octane is banned in CA due to being a cancer causing carcinogen, and all vehicles without Flex fuel kits can't use higher than E10

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They say 91 octane is minimum. They tested on 93. Unfortunately we cannot get 93 in California, the chemical they used (MTBE) to boost the octane is banned in CA due to being a cancer causing carcinogen, and all vehicles without Flex fuel kits can't use higher than E10
Amirza, here in Maryland, MTBE was banned in 2006 but we still get 93 octane. Basically ethanol replaced MTBE.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Amirza, here in Maryland, MTBE was banned in 2006 but we still get 93 octane. Basically ethanol replaced MTBE.
So is there a difference in Ethanol content between 93 and the lower octanes?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All gas stations (except for stations that sell E85) only use e10 blends, and every car sold here except cars that use flex fuel have warnings on them not to use any fuel higher than E10. Might be an emissions thing here

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So is there a difference in Ethanol content between 93 and the lower octanes?
Not here in Maryland. Whether it's 87, 89, 91 or 93 all our gas is 10% ethanol.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
In my part of oklahoma we only get 91. But we have two sets of pumps, ones with ethanol blend of 10% up to 91octane and others with 0% ethanol up to 91 octane.

The zero ethanol is usually about 60cents more a gallon

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
All gas stations (except for stations that sell E85) only use e10 blends, and every car sold here except cars that use flex fuel have warnings on them not to use any fuel higher than E10. Might be an emissions thing here
I'm thinking of getting a flex fuel kit, then. This is the first time that my local gas station has E85. I filled up with some last time because some people on here said that they use it to try and achieve 93 octane, but I don't know if it's best for my car without that kit and a Stage 2 tune.

I'm just afraid to mess up my clutch, but I don't drive too hard to do what others do (floor it in 5th and 6th or under low RPM's, or go upwards near 20 PSI).

If this seems like a decent venture for me, or if what I'm doing is safe with it (running some E85 but not too lean), somebody let me know! Haha.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of getting a flex fuel kit, then. This is the first time that my local gas station has E85. I filled up with some last time because some people on here said that they use it to try and achieve 93 octane, but I don't know if it's best for my car without that kit and a Stage 2 tune.

I'm just afraid to mess up my clutch, but I don't drive too hard to do what others do (floor it in 5th and 6th or under low RPM's, or go upwards near 20 PSI).

If this seems like a decent venture for me, or if what I'm doing is safe with it (running some E85 but not too lean), somebody let me know! Haha.
I may be reading your post wrong but why would you need to upgrade to a flex fuel/stage 2 tune setup if you don't drive it hard or go above 20 psi?
Sponsored