NoobButImTrying

First Name
Katrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
So,I bought a 21 CTR in May and with winter approaching realized... these are summer tires. I live in Memphis so it's not Appalachian Mountain winters or nothing but I'm worried about it. What do you do for winter tires?? You just buy them, get them put on, and take the summer ones with you? Bring them back to a shop and swap them in spring? And.. any ideas for storage? I live in a small one bedroom apartment.. I don't even think I know anyone that would be able to store them for me. Is there like.... places that do the changing and storage for you? Lawd Jeezuz help me.
Sponsored

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I have a set of all-seasons mounted on a second set of the stock wheels, but I have the luxury of a garage to store them in.

I wonder if you set the wheels and tires on the floor with a tabletop, would it make a good coffee table? lol.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
Almost all dealers do storage for a fees (at least in canada), check dealers websites, if theres option of seasonal tire storage.
Local tires hops can be cheaper.

Just an example(I didnt use it)
Honda Civic 10th gen Summer to Winter Tires? 1632154544393

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
I have a set of all-seasons mounted on a second set of the stock wheels, but I have the luxury of a garage to store them in.

I wonder if you set the wheels and tires on the floor with a tabletop, would it make a good coffee table? lol.
mmmm yes enjoy coffee with hint of rubber scent /s
Maybe the wheels only is fine but def not tires

OP
OP

NoobButImTrying

First Name
Katrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag

Haha, side tables is a cool idea but probably wouldn't even fit in my living room either.

I thought about another set of stock wheels. Is it best to have the tires mounted on new wheels or can they just be replaced ony current wheels and rebalanced? You would just take them to a tire shop?

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Haha, side tables is a cool idea but probably wouldn't even fit in my living room either.

I thought about another set of stock wheels. Is it best to have the tires mounted on new wheels or can they just be replaced ony current wheels and rebalanced? You would just take them to a tire shop?

It comes down to your individual situation. If you have the tires mounted and rebalanced every time, on the one hand it will save you money by not having to buy a second set of wheels (there are no cheap steelies option for this car AFAIK), but you do have to pay to have them mounted and balanced twice a year. Also not every tire shop has the correct tire machine to do this. You need to check around. We will call the storage question a wash since you have to store them anyway.

There are some positives to having a second set already mounted and balanced. You can swap them over whenever you want by yourself. no need to make an appointment or try to plan around a sudden change of weather. Also (assuming you have the same size) you can use one of the extras as a temporary spare. Mine didn't come with a spare.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Having dealt with winters here in Canada I can tell you having a dedicated set of winter rims with tires on them is so much easier. Just get a set of Acura tire totes if you can find them and most dealerships will swap wheels every season for a pretty cheap fee. No need to get the wheels balanced every time either.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
If you have the money go for a second set of (I would advise smaller, like 18" or even 19" if you can't abide 18s) wheels with dedicated winter tires. That's the gold standard solution. You can of course get winter tires for the 20s, but man, those suckers ain't cheap, and as others have noted, the swapping process is more involved and riskier, given the general level of ignorance about these cars and their special needs.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Note, store tires on rims/wheels horizontally. Tires without rims should be stored as if rolling. Either way, bag them airtight. Summer tires need the oils to make them sticky. Leaving them in open air lets them dry out.
Sponsored