Summer ending- temperatures dropping - tire pressures getting lower

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Having driven around all Summer with correct tire pressures (as constantly monitored by add-on Direct pressure/temperatureTPMS), this morning, after a cold night, I had one one my tires alarm with low pressure.
Note: The Honda TPMS system was oblivious to this low pressure, and did not give any indication.(as expected)

So a quick trip to Costco, and the friendly tech there, topped up the Nitrogen in all the tires. Had him set all 4 to 36 psi (approx 3 psi high), and I can bleed off the excess if needed one morning when the temperatures are low,

I realize most in here are savvy about Tire Pressures and how they change with temperature, and how you will need to top them up as the temperatures drop... but for anyone that is not aware of this, you might want to check your pressures as winter approaches, and be aware that the Honda INDIRECT TPMS is not going to inform you of this decrease in pressure as ALL the tire pressures will be dropping the same as the colder weather arrives..
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The tire pressure low light generally come on when a tire gets around 6-7 psi low. At least that’s what I've noticed

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The tire pressure low light generally come on when a tire gets around 6-7 psi low. At least that’s what I've noticed
My understanding is that the HONDA oem INDIRECT TPMS will only detect a low tire pressure if that tire with the low pressure is the only one going low. If all tires go low by the same amount, the Indirect TPMS will not alarm.

The Indirect TPMS system is only really designed to detect when ONE tire starts to go low (typically because of a puncture), and since all cars (sold in the USA, manufactured after a certain date ) ) are required to have some sort of Tire Puncture/low pressure waning system, the INDIRECT TPMS was the cheapest way for Honda to achieve this, as it is only really Software, looking at already measured parameters, (ie wheel rotation speed).

ie The Honda INDIRECT TPMS is NOT going to alarm as winter approaches, and the weather gets colder, resulting in all 4 of your tires, having decreased tire pressure.

For about $30, you can get a DIRECT TPMS with its own display, and then you can tell if any tire pressure changes, measured to 0.1 PSI (absolute accuracy may not be that high, but that is far better than 6-7 Psi )

Honda Civic 10th gen Summer ending- temperatures dropping - tire pressures getting lower s-l400

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-S...ring-System-4-External-Sensor-US/323913168430
I have one fitted in the SI.. Works very well. Only negative is that it is that the display is not that Bright, so is difficult to see in strong sunlight.
Not so bad for me, as I am able to keep the car in a garage, and at the start of any trip, it is then really easy to read in the shade, and I always know what my starting pressures are. It also alarms with both Visual and Audio alarms, if any tire pressure (or Temperature) goes outside of limits, I can adjust & set myself on the unit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Summer ending- temperatures dropping - tire pressures getting lower TPMS_Gauges

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My understanding is that the HONDA oem INDIRECT TPMS will only detect a low tire pressure if that tire with the low pressure is the only one going low. If all tires go low by the same amount, the Indirect TPMS will not alarm.

The Indirect TPMS system is only really designed to detect when ONE tire starts to go low (typically because of a puncture), and since all cars (sold in the USA, manufactured after a certain date ) ) are required to have some sort of Tire Puncture/low pressure waning system, the INDIRECT TPMS was the cheapest way for Honda to achieve this, as it is only really Software, looking at already measured parameters, (ie wheel rotation speed).

ie The Honda INDIRECT TPMS is NOT going to alarm as winter approaches, and the weather gets colder, resulting in all 4 of your tires, having decreased tire pressure.

For about $30, you can get a DIRECT TPMS with its own display, and then you can tell if any tire pressure changes, measured to 0.1 PSI (absolute accuracy may not be that high, but that is far better than 6-7 Psi )

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-S...ring-System-4-External-Sensor-US/323913168430
I have one fitted in the SI.. Works very well. Only negative is that it is that the display is not that Bright, so is difficult to see in strong sunlight.
Not so bad for me, as I am able to keep the car in a garage, and at the start of any trip, it is then really easy to read in the shade, and I always know what my starting pressures are. It also alarms with both Visual and Audio alarms, if any tire pressure (or Temperature) goes outside of limits, I can adjust & set myself on the unit.

TPMS_Gauges.jpg
Or you could, ya know, just check the pressure with a 5$ gauge every week or two, then head to your local gas station and pay $1.50 to fill them up to desired pressure.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Or you could, ya know, just check the pressure with a 5$ gauge every week or two, then head to your local gas station and pay $1.50 to fill them up to desired pressure.
Every time you check the pressure with gauge, you risk loosing some nitrogen.
You cannot monitor the pressures when you are driving
You cannot monitor the temperatures when driving
You do not get an immediate indication that you have lost (or gained) pressure.
You get to check pressures before the start of each trip, and it takes 2-3 seconds
You get to monitor your pressures (and temperature) while you are driving, and the tires are heating up.
If you go to COSTCO, you can get the tires topped up with Nitrogen to any pressure you ask for, for FREE.

I set my pressures at the start of the summer, and they have remained good all summer... without having to keep checking with a gauge, and risk loosing pressure while measuring.

Also, it's really my wife's car -- she drives it most of the time, so it make it really easy for her to check the tire pressures each time she drives the car, without having to mess about with tire gauges etc.

And most importantly (to some) , it LOOKS good, and is a lot of bang for your buck.

But like all MODS etc, its a personal choice -- everyone can do what they want -- and so can I .;)

(I like electronic gadgets - which is why I also have fitted an Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauge!!)

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just like knowing how to check your engine oil, being able to measure the pressure of the tires and do it regularly is a basic knowledge to acquire.
And it allows me to see the state of my tires.

I would not pay to add nitrogen, I would use my hand pump.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just like knowing how to check your engine oil, being able to measure the pressure of the tires and do it regularly is a basic knowledge to acquire.
And it allows me to see the state of my tires.

I would not pay to add nitrogen, I would use my hand pump.
Who is PAYING to add Nitrogen ?.. Not me ;) .. I get the Nitrogen Top-off, and the Top-off service for FREE from Costco -- so my hands don't even get dirty :D

Plus, I get to see them doing it -- no hidden"out the back in the dealer's service bay".

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First time I hear something is free, do you fill up you gas tank for free in the same time ?
I'm kidding . Why is nitrogen fill up is free at Costco

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I definitely vote for the electronic tire pressure monitor if it's well made, over manual checking tire pressures.

Checking tire pressures with a gauge is a chore. It takes time, is even more obnoxious in summer or winter when it's very hot or cold, and is not even convenient in the garage, since the car is usually too close to the wall/other stuff at least on one side. Additionally, it is practically impossible to do it always perfectly, without loosing too much air, particularly with cheap gauges.

I check my oil with pleasure at least a couple of times a week, but I hate checking tire pressures. I have probably a dozen different gauges and inflators including simple sticks, large gauges on metal sticks or rubber hoses, and electronic gauges with automatic compressors. But I do it at most once a month and often less often. So I will soon get some sort of electronic device, although I don't like too much those bulky sensors attached to the wheels.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
A simple dial analog 0-60 psig gauge works quite well for my Civic. The recommended pressure of 32 psig is approximately mid-scale for best accuracy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slime-5...e+gauge}:nr+qu:{slime+tire+pressure+gauge}:qu

An example of an inexpensive gauge which should be adequate.

The pressure monitoring system on the Civic is for protection against blow-outs which could occur for severely underinflated tires. It's not designed to be all that accurate. Just a safety system not unlike a warning light which illuminates for a brake problem, etc.

Using nitrogen could be beneficial if:
  • If you have one or more cars that are primarily used at the racetrack
  • If you drive very sparingly and your car sits unused for an extended time
  • If you own collectible cars that are seldom driven any great distances
  • If you have to put your car in storage for a significant period of time
For the vast majority of drivers nitrogen offers no advantage.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First time I hear something is free, do you fill up you gas tank for free in the same time ?
I'm kidding . Why is nitrogen fill up is free at Costco
It is FREE because they do not charge.
No, you do not have to get gas -- I don't use Costco gas.

I assume they do it to help attract customers -

But you are right -- there is not much FREE in this world anymore - but --

One one thing that is FREE, is a Private Pilot's License.
No charge for issuing the License, and no charge for a replacement.
The only "FEE" is the $10,000+ for PPL Training, to qualify for the License.

But the Actual LICENSE is "FREE" :thumbsup:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I think Costco can offer free N2 refills because relatively few people will use them.
You would need to wait just to get your tires pumped up and few people will bother.

I always had free tire rotations but mostly didn't bother to come on time to keep the store "mileage warranty."

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think Costco can offer free N2 refills because relatively few people will use them.
You would need to wait just to get your tires pumped up and few people will bother.

I always had free tire rotations but mostly didn't bother to come on time to keep the store "mileage warranty."
Every time we have gone to Costco, just for N2, we have never had to wait.

Just drive up to the outside of one of the open bays, go to the bay entrance (without going in .. Liability insurance etc), and just get the attention of one of the mechanics.
I have always found they are very prompt and eager to help.

Of course, COSTCO does not charge for the FREE N2 topup, but many are going to "TIP" the helpful service guy, so there is a good incentive for them to be so helpful and accommodating.

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag

s-l400.jpg

TPMS_Gauges.jpg
Some people say due to the way the valves are made, they sometimes cause the air to leak and gotten flat tires from having them installed. Did yours do that at any time since u had them? Is there anything u need to watch out for/careful with when installing?
Sponsored