OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Some people say due to the way the valves are made, they sometimes cause the air to leak and gotten flat tires from having them installed. Did yours do that at any time since u had them? Is there anything u need to watch out for/careful with when installing?
Got the same identical system installed on the 2018 si and the 1987 Maxima, for over a year now. (Maxima 2+ years)
Neither have any issue with the sensors leaking on the Valves, despite having removed them a few times to change Pressures between summer & winter.

And if they did leak, you would get a warning to tell you exactly which one was leaking, as opposed to an Idiot Light, that "something is wrong -- take it to the Dealer (with your check-book)"
Sponsored

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
No Costco membership card needed for this tire fill up?

If so, this is very helpful info!

Thanks!

Last edited:

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
If your tires are topped up with nitrogen the pressure shouldn't go down during cold weather, unless you have a mixture of air and nitrogen inside your tires.
This is wrong actually - nitrogen is still a gas that obeys the standard physical laws. Reducing temperature always reduces pressure with the other variables held constant. PV = nRT. What pure nitrogen does is reduce losses due to the n term of the equation (the amount of gas in the tire) because N2 is a larger molecule than O2, which stops it from escaping through the tire wall as easily as O2 does.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is wrong actually - nitrogen is still a gas that obeys the standard physical laws. Reducing temperature always reduces pressure with the other variables held constant. PV = nRT. What pure nitrogen does is reduce losses due to the n term of the equation (the amount of gas in the tire) because N2 is a larger molecule than O2, which stops it from escaping through the tire wall as easily as O2 does.
Actually just read about this in consumer reports. They said that while nitrogen did pass through the sidewall at a slower rate,it wasn't that much slower. They said they did these tests over a year.
So I don't know if it cost more money for nitrogen if you do have to pay for it, but they said it really wasn't worth it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
For the tires the difference between almost 80% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen is none for all practical purposes.

The only real difference (and it's still not very important for normal driving) is the moisture. The water inside tires will keep condensing and evaporating again, causing an additional pressure fluctuation with temperature changes, relative to dry gas.

Dry air would be as good as nitrogen, but there is not much difference between the price of compressed dry air and nitrogen. So the obvious choice is to go with nitrogen, not dry air. It also is more convincing to car owners because of the additional talking point about the aggressive nature of oxygen.

Everyone who uses an air compressor with a tank should know how much water can accumulate in the tank if it's not regularly drained. And the manufacturers recommend draining after every use to minimize corrosion of the steel tank. Can water and air in the tires cause some corrosion of the rims? Possibly, if they are steel rims with damaged paint. But rims falling apart from internal corrosion has not been a major problem over the history of automobiles.

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I use 78% Nitrogen in my tires.....Check them every 1000 miles or so, they leak down about 4 lbs on each vehicle, a CTR and a Santa Fe.
Most folks drive around with low tires, low oil, and don't care. Good for the economy when they have to buy cars and tires more often.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I read that the way the TPM works is it senses the rotational speed of the wheels. If one wheel is turning at a different rate than the others then that's why the warning light goes on. It doesn't know what the pressures are. So if all four tires lose pressure equally due to colder temps the system won't sense anything.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I read that the way the TPM works is it senses the rotational speed of the wheels. If one wheel is turning at a different rate than the others then that's why the warning light goes on. It doesn't know what the pressures are. So if all four tires lose pressure equally due to colder temps the system won't sense anything.
No, the second generation indirect TPMS will work even if all tires are equally deflated, which may happen because of a significant temperature change.
You can prove it to yourself experimentally by deflating all tires equally and seeing the TPMS light come on after some driving.

elmer255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I get the nitrogen in my tires from the good Lord. Seeing as how the air we breath is 78.09% nitrogen, I go with that and the $20 12v air compressor I keep in the trunk of my ‘18 Hatch Sport. To each his own but I could never deal with relying on having to take my car somewhere to have something that is so simple as putting air in the tires done.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I use 78% Nitrogen in my tires.....Check them every 1000 miles or so, they leak down about 4 lbs on each vehicle, a CTR and a Santa Fe.
Most folks drive around with low tires, low oil, and don't care. Good for the economy when they have to buy cars and tires more often.
Cool, I go with a mix of 78% N/21% O/0.1% Ar/0.04% CO2/0.0x% other.

Then I swing by the free air pump at the gas station on base roughly two or three times a year, or when I swap wheels, or if I've been eyeballing the tires and one looks different from the others. Or maybe I'll use the 12V compressor I normally keep in the basement. Super convenient. Same procedure as when I used to autocross, too, although some of the hardcore racers brought their own bubbles for faster fill-ups.

tobylester

First Name
Toby Lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback.
Country flag
My son and I took a road trip this past weekend in a 2019 hatchback that we bought new in July. It’s been colder for a couple weeks. The display showed low air pressure. One tire had 14 pounds and the other three tires had approximately 22-25 pounds each. I’ll make sure to check the pressure every few weeks after that experience.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My son and I took a road trip this past weekend in a 2019 hatchback that we bought new in July. It’s been colder for a couple weeks. The display showed low air pressure. One tire had 14 pounds and the other three tires had approximately 22-25 pounds each. I’ll make sure to check the pressure every few weeks after that experience.
Something's wrong. Check the valve core of that tire and make sure it's fully seated. It shouldn't be ten psi lower than the others.
Sponsored