Suggestions on sub for 2017 Civic EX?

number41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Just got my son a 2017 EX. It's a sedan version not the hatchback. I know very little about the stereo but the spec sheet mentions 8 speakers/180 watt.
Probably one of the first things I want to do for him is add a small sub. I want something like maybe one 10". Just to fill in the low end.
I saw an Apline offering on crutchfield but it was ~$750. That's over my budget.
A powered sub is perfectly fine.

What all do I need?
Sub, something to interface with the factory head unit? Wiring? Wiring harness?

Thanks alot for any suggestions.
Sponsored

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
If you want something that good and easy install get the
Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-12, P300-10, or even P300-8
They are under $200 each and since they have a intelligent auto turn on/off function you dont need to run a remote turn on, you just need to run a power and ground wire and a signal which you can do by tapping the speaker wires. I also like the Detachable Power/Ground connector so you can remove it easier

Here is an install video of it

OP
OP

number41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
thanks. I will take a look at it.

OP
OP

number41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Still researching this. The p300-10 looks like it will do the job. But alot of places are out of stock???? Anyone know of a good authorized dealer?
I will also check the one local shop that I know deals with RF.

I have a decent grasp of installing but it has been a while. Anyone that can offer any detailed info I would appreciate it.
For example one thing that confuses me is do I tap into the rear or front factory speakers? I have seen people mention each so I am not sure which is best?
And the video linked about mentions polarity doesn't matter??? Can someone explain that a bit?
Is there a wiring diagram someone might have?

Lastly, (and I know I'm asking alot of questions) but what is a good wiring kit ? I don't want to get something too cheap.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-43397-Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P300-10.html
this place sells it BUT they are very hit or miss on actually having it in stock, I had a few issues with them but they are always like the cheapest reputable car audio online store, their customer service can suck, if you purchase and its not in stock they wont tell you, your status order will just remain in process forever until you contact them.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I actually used the NVX wiring kit which is reasonably priced for what it is but for you who is just installing a power sub you only really need a power and ground and fuse because the P300-10 take high level inputs and auto turn on so you dont even need a LOC or a remote turn on wire.

For polarity i think he just saying the sub can switch polarity but make sure the wire polarity match.

I would just tap the rear for convenience

Still researching this. The p300-10 looks like it will do the job. But alot of places are out of stock???? Anyone know of a good authorized dealer?
I will also check the one local shop that I know deals with RF.

I have a decent grasp of installing but it has been a while. Anyone that can offer any detailed info I would appreciate it.
For example one thing that confuses me is do I tap into the rear or front factory speakers? I have seen people mention each so I am not sure which is best?
And the video linked about mentions polarity doesn't matter??? Can someone explain that a bit?
Is there a wiring diagram someone might have?

Lastly, (and I know I'm asking alot of questions) but what is a good wiring kit ? I don't want to get something too cheap.
Sponsored