Suggestions for Winter tires on rims for civic hatch sport touring Montreal area

vickenp

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I know its a little early, but looking for suggestions for size and brand/model - for a decent set

cheers
Sponsored

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
On my '19 Sport hatch, I opted to go with a 17 inch rim with 215/50/17 tire. Instead of ugly steelies, I use Nissan Maxima wheels, like this:

Honda Civic 10th gen Suggestions for Winter tires on rims for civic hatch sport touring Montreal area 62379-nissan-maxima-wheel-rim-aly62379u78-nj60un7856f-403002y925__98122.1534892018

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran 235/40/18 Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires on 18x8 alloys for 2 winters. I didn't have any issues driving through deep snow in rural areas. I even overtook SUVs with all-season tires on the highway. You'll most likely encounter bottom clearance issues before traction issues. These were surprisingly quieter than my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 summer tires.

I currently run 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. They aren't as good as the Michelin X-Ice XI3s in deep snow but they get better mileage on wet/dry pavement. These were much louder than the Michelin X-Ice XI3s.

Both tires had issues starting from a stop on uphill snow. I'm guessing its the combination of 8 inch wide tires and low curb weight.

235/40/18 or 225/40/18 will fit great on the oem sport hatchback wheels.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Living in Montreal, have you considered switching to this set up year round due to conditions of the roads? :p
Honda Civic 10th gen Suggestions for Winter tires on rims for civic hatch sport touring Montreal area unnamed

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I picked up a set of 8th gen alloys on Kijiji for 200 bucks. Spray painted them black. Have lasted great for 2 winters so far. I'm running Blizzak WS80s.
Honda Civic 10th gen Suggestions for Winter tires on rims for civic hatch sport touring Montreal area 20181111_130226
Honda Civic 10th gen Suggestions for Winter tires on rims for civic hatch sport touring Montreal area 20190207_110523

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run 205/60R16's on my Sport Touring in the winter. They're on steelies, but I slap on 10th gen Civic replica wheel covers. Tires are long discontinued Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3's, which I had on my 2006 Acura TSX before I traded that in for the Civic. Just lucked out that they fit on the Civic as well, so saved myself from having to get new tires for the winter. They're a more performance oriented winter tire, so dry road handling is great compared to regular winter tires. As they are at the age that they shouldbe repalced, depending how this pandemic goes, I may keep them for one more winter if I am still going to be mostly working from home. Otherwise, I will likely replace them with the new Michelin X-Ice SNOW's that will be coming out this fall, which are replacing the X-Ice Xi3's, but will go for the more appropriate 215/55R16 fitment.

Downsizing to a more narrower tire (and smaller rim size) is generally recommended for winter tires, as you'll get better traction - and they will be less expensive.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I run 16 inch steelies. 16s are the stock on non-sport hatches so fitment is no problem.

mrsirking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Any suggestions on where to purchase new tires and/or wheels from?

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any suggestions on where to purchase new tires and/or wheels from?
Believe it or not, check a Honda dealer. They often have a lowest price guarantee on tires. Another place that has good prices and selection is Wheels Direct in Scarborough.

mrsirking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Believe it or not, check a Honda dealer. They often have a lowest price guarantee on tires. Another place that has good prices and selection is Wheels Direct in Scarborough.
Honda told me to come in mid-October for the best deals so will definitely be checking them out as well. As of now, the best deal I've found for winter tires + rims has been from 4tires.ca.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda told me to come in mid-October for the best deals so will definitely be checking them out as well. As of now, the best deal I've found for winter tires + rims has been from 4tires.ca.
Fall is also when all the manufacturer rebates for winter tires are available, so good to wait until then.

RufflesSCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
I always hear great things about the Nokian Hakkapeliitas.

The Bridgestone Blizzak WS90, Michelin X-ice Snow and Continental Vikingcontact 7, are new and are replacing their outgoing models. (WS80, X-Ice 3 and WinterContact Si). They're all up there rankings as well.

I just ordered a set of Continental Vikingcontact 7's myself, and had them installed on my 9th gen winter rims yesterday. They're replacing my 7 year old Michelin X-ice 3's.

I ordered from blackcircles.ca who are based out of Quebec.

Also have a look at quattrotires and 4tires who are also based out of there.
Sponsored