Sudden rise in road noise?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So about 2 weeks ago, I noticed the road noise in my car had gone up by a decent amount. It doesn't appear to be coming from any certain side of the car but who knows.

Today, rotated my wheels and made sure they were properly inflated and they actually were a few PSI higher than they should be but I brought it down and I still hear the noise. The car drives fine so I don't believe there are any alignment issues. When I had the wheels off, I inspected for any abnormal tire wear and it was all good. Tires still have 5-6/32" so we're good there as well.

I don't know what to check for next. I doubt it's a wheel bearing issue as it seems to be the same on both sides but I mean, I'll check for that I suppose.

Just looking for other ideas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Generally as tire tread wears down, road noise increases. The fact is our cars don't have a whole lot of sound deadening so it's more noticeable.

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol I just went thru this. I thought the same. Bearings. I could hear my sound from the back. I did rotate and sound went to the front. Yup I need a alignment I had crazy uneven tires.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If "road noise" started right after you rotated the tires then you have the cause:
1) mis-mounted tire/tires.
2) one or more tires worn significantly more or in "strange" (alignment issue) pattern.
3) directional tires now going the wrong way.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If "road noise" started right after you rotated the tires then you have the cause:
1) mis-mounted tire/tires.
2) one or more tires worn significantly more or in "strange" (alignment issue) pattern.
3) directional tires now going the wrong way.
The rotation was an attempt to solve the noise issue.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Generally as tire tread wears down, road noise increases. The fact is our cars don't have a whole lot of sound deadening so it's more noticeable.
It was kind of sudden. Only about 15k or so on them. (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 plus)

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just brainstorming in a completely different direction...

If you had a headcold or are allergic to seasonal pollen; a change in those situations (or having your ears cleaned out) will often feel like a sudden increase in road noise.

This happened to me.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Have same tire on our '12 Si - BTW they are unidirectional.
lol no it's not.

the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the optimal Ultra High Performance All-Season choice. Michelin has gone from a directional (V-shaped) tread pattern in the Pilot Sport A/S Plus to a non-directional asymmetrical (bigger outside shoulder) tread design with the Pilot Sport A/S 3.
The 3, 3+, and 4 are all bidirectional/non-directional.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
lol no it's not. The 3, 3+, and 4 are all bidirectional/non-directional.
Unidirectional was the wrong word to use. The tires must be mounted on the rim in one direction. All 4 of my 91W Pilot Sport AS 3+ (build dated FW3819) have the word "Warning" with an arrow pointing to the word "OUTSIDE" embossed into the tire! Not sure what happens if they're mis-mounted. Best check yours too!

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Strange that all 4 of my 91W Pilot Sport AS 3+ (build dated FW3819) have the word "Warning" with an arrow pointing to the word "OUTSIDE" embossed into the tire! Best check yours to!
Outside is not the same as directional. Directional means the tire is required to rotate in one direction only, so the tires are mounted differently on the right side wheels vs. the left side wheels. When you rotate these directional tires, you cannot change them between the sides, only front to back so they will always rotate the same direction.

What you're seeing is what most modern tires have, which is a mounting orientation. It has an asymmetrical tread where there is a wide rib intended to be the cornering shoulder for better traction. It has to always face outward on the wheel when mounted, but once mounted it does not matter how you rotate your tires because no matter what, the outside of the tire is mounted on the outside of the wheel. Front to back, side to side rotation, etc.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unidirectional was the wrong word to use. The tires must be mounted on the rim in one direction. All 4 of my 91W Pilot Sport AS 3+ (build dated FW3819) have the word "Warning" with an arrow pointing to the word "OUTSIDE" embossed into the tire! Not sure what happens if they're mis-mounted. Best check yours too!
The problem just started after 15k miles. Hopefully some gnomes didnt turn my tires around on my wheels while I slept :p

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
The problem just started after 15k miles. Hopefully some gnomes didnt turn my tires around on my wheels while I slept :p
I noticed leaving the back seat down increase the road noise and exhaust I can hear. The floor is very thin in the back and not a lot of sound d deadening. Yes I am talking type r hatch.
there’s only two things that give sudden increase in that kind of sound. A belt shifting in a tire or a bearing somewhere in drive train. Could be wheel bearing or even carrier bearing in trans. As a tech Ive had at dozens of wheel bearings made noise but you couldn’t distinguish which side with out putting the car on the lift. If you removed anything from the car for weight you’ll hear more also.
Sponsored