Subwoofer/sound upgrade options for a leased 2017 LX Coupe?

immaxf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Manual
I'm looking for an economical way to upgrade my subwoofer (maybe other speakers?) and have these ideas so far:

• Rockford Fosgate P300-10 in the trunk
  • Custom subwoofer enclosure like this one, also in the trunk
  • Underseat powered subwoofer like this
Because it's a lease, I don't want to get too carried away making modifications to the car. Any thoughts on the above options or other ideas for how to get a subwoofer installed?

Also, how much of a difference in quality will I notice if I replace the stock 6.5" speakers with something like the Rockford Fosgate Primes?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
You can install the P300 sub and those 6.5"'s without having to make any modifications to the car, so no worries due to it being leased.

I think you've covered all the possible ideas for how to get a sub installed, except for putting one down inside the spare tire (or removing the spare and making the whole spare tire well a sub enclosure with fiberglass).

geolemon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Honda Civic EX (original owner), '17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Skip the all-in-one and underseat options, and "all in one" in general, honestly. Even kicker (whom I love). Results are always sub par, on top of sub optimal...

It's dictated by physics - the relationship between enclosure size and efficiency, amplifier size and power, and shallowness and excursion capability. It's unfortunately a worst case scenario on all fronts:
  • Tiny enclosure. (causes low efficiency)
  • Low profile, low excursion subwoofer. (limits output capability and power handling)
  • Small, low power amp. (To even hope of brute-force overcoming the other critical limitations, you'd need massive power - which that sub wouldn't handle even if you had it)
I'm somewhat in the same boat...
I have a hatch and want to retain my storage capacity, so I'm pondering two options - both require ditching the spare.

1) spare tire well enclosure for two over-achieving eights I have, or one good ten (like an old school kicker CompVR), with amp racks in the rear side areas of the trunk by the tail lights (meaning: 1/2" MDF panels behind the carpeted walls, to allow you to screw the amp to the wall in a very lease-reversible way with 1/2" screws), or

2) twin small enclosures in each rear trunk location (secured with a screw or two through the empty enclosures to 1/2" MDF panels hidden behind the carpeted panels, in a very lease-reversible way - same as the amps above - then install the sub(s) into them), with an amp rack in the spare tire well.

For option 1, depth might be shallow, and "low profile" subs are pretty meh-performers.
For option 2, amps need airflow to avoid heat issues - might need to engineer a little fan-driven cross-cooling.

Or in your case:
3) like your picture you linked - a single sub in a sealed custom fiberglass enclosure. You can use the same space on the other side for an amp rack. That was my solution in my last car, an Optima, which is a sedan as well. Restoring back to return the lease was simple - pull them out, brush out the few screw holes through the carpet that held things in place, and you'd never know anything was ever there.

Side note: a single 10" sub in a sealed enclosure can be excellent, but you'll want to shop for one that has BOTH high excursion and high powerhandling, and you'll want to buy an amp that will be able to deliver that power. It's going to be in a pretty tiny enclosure, which means you'll need brute-force power to push it anywhere near it's excursion limits (read: make the subwoofer play loudly). In a tiny enclosure, most subwoofers reach their thermal capacity (power handling) before they reach their excursion limit (max loudness). Something to consider.

Last edited:

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm looking for an economical way to upgrade my subwoofer (maybe other speakers?) and have these ideas so far:

• Rockford Fosgate P300-10 in the trunk
  • Custom subwoofer enclosure like this one, also in the trunk
  • Underseat powered subwoofer like this
Because it's a lease, I don't want to get too carried away making modifications to the car. Any thoughts on the above options or other ideas for how to get a subwoofer installed?

Also, how much of a difference in quality will I notice if I replace the stock 6.5" speakers with something like the Rockford Fosgate Primes?
I have the P300-10 in my car and I love it. One day I'll upgrade to a real subwoofer but if I was leasing a car I would definitely go that route. Very easy to set up yourself and if you take it to a pro they can install it in like an hour.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
I have the P300-10 in my car and I love it. One day I'll upgrade to a real subwoofer but if I was leasing a car I would definitely go that route. Very easy to set up yourself and if you take it to a pro they can install it in like an hour.
Im looking into getting that exact subwoofer for my leased 2017 Civic Sedan, is your Civic a sedan too? If so, hows the fitment in the trunk?

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yes mine is a sedan. Plenty of room it'll only take about half of that space up against the seat. I've actually upgrade to dual 10s and they still give me a good amount of room.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Yes mine is a sedan. Plenty of room it'll only take about half of that space up against the seat. I've actually upgrade to dual 10s and they still give me a good amount of room.
Cool thanks for the input dude! I cant wait to order this next month with my wire kit.
Sponsored