Sub Woofer rattle - fix problem instead of turning down bass

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Some time ago I came across this great solutions in another forum, and it might be of interest here.

Yes, one solution to a rattle that is "caused" by the "Sub Woofer, is to turn down the bass.

The better option is to track down what is rattling and fix it .. often a very simple fix IF you can find what is rattling. That is the difficult part, especially of it is intermittent and only occurs in certain parts of certain audio.

Note 99% of the time it is not the actual Sub Woofer speaker that is rattling, but rather it is caused by the speaker causing something else to resonate and rattle.

A great solution is to get one of the "Audio Signal Generator" apps, and run on your phone, with its audio over Bluetooth to your audio center.
You can slowly increase the frequency, and typically you will find that the rattle is cause by a resonance, and at a particular frequency. At that frequency, the rattle will be steady, and you can then far more easily track it down, and find what rattling piece of the car you have to hold to stop the rattle. Then it is just a case of putting some padding, or securing that rattling part.

Eventually, you will find them all, at all rattle frequencies, and thereafter NO RATTLE, and you can turn your bass up as much as you want to blow out your ear drums !
Sponsored

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
At that frequency, the rattle will be steady, and you can then far more easily track it down, and find what rattling piece of the car you have to hold to stop the rattle. Then it is just a case of putting some padding, or securing that rattling part.
How exactly would you do this? I'm no good DIY kind of guy, and I don't want to cut into the car's interior parts, remove parts, or put things on top that look like a ratty-ass job of sorts.

I haven't yet gotten my car but I foresee this being an issue even with the 2019 Si sedans.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
How exactly would you do this? I'm no good DIY kind of guy, and I don't want to cut into the car's interior parts, remove parts, or put things on top that look like a ratty-ass job of sorts.

I haven't yet gotten my car but I foresee this being an issue even with the 2019 Si sedans.
My post was to find the rattle -- fixing it will depend on what is causing the rattle.

If you cannot fix it yourself, at least you can demonstrated the rattle to your dealer, or anyone else you trust (what did I just say !! :rofl:) ... let me correct that and remove the "else" .. it then reads more realistically ... or anyone you trust.

BTW: No rattle or any other issues with our 2018 Si Coupe .. - probably because it has not been back to the dealer since we drove it off their lot at the time of purchase.
Sponsored

Last edited: