Sub in the hatchback

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
I did a search and was surprised not to find a tread on sub / sound system installs on the hatchbacks, like there for wheels, etc. So, Looking to add a sub and speakers to my new EXT hatchback. I can't take up the hatch area with a Ported box as I transport my bicycle back there; doable, but prefer not to.

Post up your install pics or direct me to a tread if it exists, please.
Sponsored

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
Not many have done it. I started a thread about this recently and got no responses. Good luck.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I did a search and was surprised not to find a tread on sub / sound system installs on the hatchbacks, like there for wheels, etc. So, Looking to add a sub and speakers to my new EXT hatchback. I can't take up the hatch area with a Ported box as I transport my bicycle back there; doable, but prefer not to.

Post up your install pics or direct me to a tread if it exists, please.
There are a few "upgrades" for those that have the Sport Touring Models, Si, and Type-R. They are the 3.5" Center Mid and the Subwoofer. As far as upgrading the entire system is rare, or just not posted.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are a few "upgrades" for those that have the Sport Touring Models, Si, and Type-R. They are the 3.5" Center Mid and the Subwoofer. As far as upgrading the entire system is rare, or just not posted.
Likely just not posted. I am doing a single 12" and tweeters in my '19 hatchback EX. I've seen a few people do subs under the seat or something but that's not a solution for someone like me who is used to 2 12's. I haven't actually done the sub in mine yet, but I have most of what I need removed from my old car already. I'll post it up when I get around to it.

OP
OP
wuaname

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
Are you doing with a sealed box or ported? I am. Ot going to do an underseat set up b/c the base will be inadequate. I have a Kicker 10” powered sub in a Mustang and it has the perfect bass for me, but they don’t manufacture that mode any longer. The new model is like 100 watts vs 300-400 I have on the older Kicker.

So I’m thinking of a sealed box since it could be a smaller box vs a ported; 10”.

Which 12” are you putting in?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The head unit makes a full system complicated for certain trims. There are a few write ups involving new dsp and amps pushing new speakers and an epic write-up on upgrading CTR audio with hidden amps and a stock enclosure add-on to allow for higher excursion subs

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
my current situation. i finally just gave up with the factory system.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sub in the hatchback VID_20190220_104945.mp4_snapshot_00.02.792

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you doing with a sealed box or ported? I am. Ot going to do an underseat set up b/c the base will be inadequate. I have a Kicker 10” powered sub in a Mustang and it has the perfect bass for me, but they don’t manufacture that mode any longer. The new model is like 100 watts vs 300-400 I have on the older Kicker.

So I’m thinking of a sealed box since it could be a smaller box vs a ported; 10”.

Which 12” are you putting in?
It will be a sealed box with a 12" JL w3v3-4. My amp is a Pioneer mono-D block amp that will output 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. I used to run it at 2-ohms with 2 of these subs but I don't want that added vibration in my Civic and likely will not be playing music as loud these days.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
my current situation. i finally just gave up with the factory system.

VID_20190220_104945.mp4_snapshot_00.02.792.jpg
Can you post some pictures that show how this is mounted, and what it lloks like around the edges. (Very dark in this photo)>

Did you install it yourself, or did someone else ?

It's an interesting solution.. rather than replace the existing Head Unit and loos it's functionality, ADD a tuner/amp as a separate system.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Can you post some pictures that show how this is mounted, and what it lloks like around the edges. (Very dark in this photo)>

Did you install it yourself, or did someone else ?

It's an interesting solution.. rather than replace the existing Head Unit and loos it's functionality, ADD a tuner/amp as a separate system.
I'll do a separate post. I feel like I hijacked the OP's thread.

But it's a short-depth 'mechless' Kenwood. And it's only friction that's holding it in place. I had to cut the rubber lip that allows passage from the shelf to the USB and 12V below to gain depth. But that's it. Power is from the 12V accessory. And my remote (memory) 12V is a tap off of the smart entry fuse. The stick selector fits a tad close to the face of the thing. But it's do-able. And I ended up painting the chassis gloss black for a better look. It's still a work in progress. But I'm just happy to have some listenable music again.

OP
OP
wuaname

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
It will be a sealed box with a 12" JL w3v3-4. My amp is a Pioneer mono-D block amp that will output 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. I used to run it at 2-ohms with 2 of these subs but I don't want that added vibration in my Civic and likely will not be playing music as loud these days.
JL Audio saysThe 12W3v3-4 is best used with amplifier power in the 150W - 500W range. So it must have pounded well with 300 watts rms......

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
JL Audio saysThe 12W3v3-4 is best used with amplifier power in the 150W - 500W range. So it must have pounded well with 300 watts rms......
Oh yeah I have moved that system between 4 different vehicles so far. It's the best sounding setup I've personally heard. Not the loudest or highest of quality, but it just hits every note perfectly to my liking.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag