Stuck between two tires and looking for recommendations!

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello all! I'm stuck between two tires, the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus vs. the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season. I'm looking for all season that will offer a good amount of dry traction, as well as wet traction. Tire noise is a big one as well, since my current tires roar and are driving me insane. I drive in an area that is usually around 90 degrees in the summer and around 45 degrees to below freezing during the winter. I do occasional trips to Deal Gap, but it's just casual driving. Which one would you recommend? Are there any other recommendations for the price point ($150 per tire)? Thanks!
Sponsored

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Conti DWS06 plus, though it's about $170/tire. Absolutely no regrets.

P. S. A budget friendly tire - probably BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/s Plus

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve enjoyed the summer variant of the General G-max and there is an all season variant that is aggressively priced. There should be some testing data over on Tire Rack for them (I chose mine based on that data and over the generally liked Indy 500 summer tires). Noise is good and wet traction is outstanding. I mean really, being able to go WOT in 2nd on wet roads w/o losing traction gives me confidence of being able to panic brake in similar conditions and not have my stopping distances crazy long.

They were under $150… I think I’m the $130-140 range per tire. I liked them so much I got a set of 4 for my 300zx afterwards. For a old 400 hp RWD car w/o traction control of any kind, I’ve been *very* impressed.

Tire purchases are things I spend a pile of time on because you don’t want to be stuck with investing in mediocre tires with plenty of tread you hate for years and 10ks of miles. I usually do a lot of reading over the objective and subjective data on Tire Rack and Consumer reports. I have gotten rid of tires “early” at 4 to 5/32nds because their end-of-life performance was very poor with regard to wet traction and noise. If I was driving around at lower speeds in town in dry conditions, I’d probably be fine going down towards 2/32nds but few tires I’ve had seem to perform well down that far.

Good luck. ?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (W or Y load rating only - we have the Ys) have worked well for us in the NE and on our Alabama and NC trips.

OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve enjoyed the summer variant of the General G-max and there is an all season variant that is aggressively priced. There should be some testing data over on Tire Rack for them (I chose mine based on that data and over the generally liked Indy 500 summer tires). Noise is good and wet traction is outstanding. I mean really, being able to go WOT in 2nd on wet roads w/o losing traction gives me confidence of being able to panic brake in similar conditions and not have my stopping distances crazy long.

They were under $150… I think I’m the $130-140 range per tire. I liked them so much I got a set of 4 for my 300zx afterwards. For a old 400 hp RWD car w/o traction control of any kind, I’ve been *very* impressed.

Tire purchases are things I spend a pile of time on because you don’t want to be stuck with investing in mediocre tires with plenty of tread you hate for years and 10ks of miles. I usually do a lot of reading over the objective and subjective data on Tire Rack and Consumer reports. I have gotten rid of tires “early” at 4 to 5/32nds because their end-of-life performance was very poor with regard to wet traction and noise. If I was driving around at lower speeds in town in dry conditions, I’d probably be fine going down towards 2/32nds but few tires I’ve had seem to perform well down that far.

Good luck. ?
[/

Good luck. ?
I've also checked on Tire Rack and heard some good things about the Generals from a friend. I'll look into those. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Conti DWS06 plus, though it's about $170/tire. Absolutely no regrets.

P. S. A budget friendly tire - probably BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/s Plus
Thank you! I'll look into those!

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
I had General G-Max AS-05s on my hatch and loved them. Absolutely would recommend them. On my Si I currently have the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons (pretty sure they're the tires that came from the factory) and I'm not a fan. Wet traction is very iffy at times. Drove the car home in the rain and slid a bit when getting off the highway. They're also rather noisy as far as squealing goes. Seems like any time I take a turn with any kind of speed they're screaming. The AS-05s however I found had great wet traction. I would get them again however we get lots of snow up here and when I do decide to get new tires I'm going with the Conti DWS 06+

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had General G-Max AS-05s on my hatch and loved them. Absolutely would recommend them. On my Si I currently have the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons (pretty sure they're the tires that came from the factory) and I'm not a fan. Wet traction is very iffy at times. Drove the car home in the rain and slid a bit when getting off the highway. They're also rather noisy as far as squealing goes. Seems like any time I take a turn with any kind of speed they're screaming. The AS-05s however I found had great wet traction. I would get them again however we get lots of snow up here and when I do decide to get new tires I'm going with the Conti DWS 06+
Those are the all seasons I mentioned. I opted for the summer variant as I live in GA and our winters are super mild. I can’t say enough how impressed I am with the wet traction with their handling, dry traction and noise being good… though nothing spectacular. I had the stock Goodyear summers and I think the General G-max summer beat them handily, even back when they were new… and they did not age gracefully.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
General GMAX as5 owner here for 20k miles. Great tire for the money.

Torrential rain every day all summer June through September. Superb wet traction and handling

Way better dry handling than stock Goodyear's. Noise is so so. Never experienced ice or snow with em in the balmy South Carolina winters
Sponsored