Strut bar flex?

acdrag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I installed a strut bar about 2 weeks ago and never had a strut bar on my car before but can someone enlighten me as to how much flex there should be when a strut bar is installed? Should you be able to push down on the center of the bar and it'll easily flex/bend a bit? Or is it flexing because I installed wrong?

The bolts for the brackets were torqued to 40 ft lbs and the bolt for the the bars was hand tightened hard.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you installed the Sirimoto bar, that sounds about right. If you push hard in the center there will be some flex. That's because it's a 3 piece bar not a solid one piece bar. Also you might want to make sure the bolts you hand tightened are torqued to 35 or so.

OP
OP

acdrag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you installed the Sirimoto bar, that sounds about right. If you push hard in the center there will be some flex. That's because it's a 3 piece bar not a solid one piece bar. Also you might want to make sure the bolts you hand tightened are torqued to 35 or so.
so all three piece bars will have some flex to it? i dont really have to push down on it 'hard' but if i do put a bit of force itll flex..

Bankerbalt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI sedan, 2008 Cobalt
the bar doesn't really do anything anyways.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I don't notice much flex at all on my 1 piece UR bar. Have not either on all 1 piece bars I've had whether from the factory or aftermarket

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Strut bars resist longitudinal loading. Imagine it as keeping the top of the two struts from flexing closer to each other. Up and down flexing is not really a good gauge.

Have you guys seen the STI flexible strut bar? Yup, it purposely has a flexible center. I've read the results, but unfortunately, I can't understand why it works.

See the 13th post for how it drives.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22441

Pictures of the flexible strut bar.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=...nZQKHV8uAagQ_AUICigB&biw=1067&bih=683#imgrc=_

Last edited:

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 S2000
The idea is that is does not add stiffness in compression, but does in tension (only keeps strut bats from spreading during cornering).
Sponsored