Strange Thing Happened When Driving My 2021 Type R Today - Your Expertise Requested

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
I was out in the countryside enjoying the sporting capabilities of the Type R. After utilizing it's performance quite sucessfully on some distant backroads, I went to pass a group of motorhomes, trucks towing boats etc. As I was blowing past the group, I believe in as I was accelerating in 3rd gear, there was an instant where the acceleration just stopped, like I had hit a wall. I then shifted up to 4th gear and continued accelerating. While I was driving quite fast, I was not redlining things. A few minutes later when I came to another road, and turned onto it, I tested accelerating rapidly again. This time, there was not a definite stopping of the acceleration but at two points, there was a slight hesitation and I noted that a yellow light instantly blipped on and off in the oil temperature gauge window. After that, the car ran fine the rest of the way home, though I was not again in a position to test hard acceleration again.

What happened? I've had the car for nearly a year now, and never experienced this before.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Do you drive with your emergency braking turned off? It might have kicked in when passing those cars? I turn that off it freaks me out personally and I don't want it on when I'm not ready for it.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Do you drive with your emergency braking turned off? It might have kicked in when passing those cars?
That would be my guess, too.
I turn all the nanny features off all the time. I hate them. But, that's just me.

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wasn't actually sure you could turn off emergency braking. How do you do that?

But, I can't imagine that was the issue, as I would have seen the big yellow indicator pop up?

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Sounds like the traction control light coming on/off.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Emergency braking, happens on my other Honda w/sensors frequently. There's a recall out or coming soon.

friday9x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Happens with my 21 as well. You're more than likely seeing that Honda Sensing is seeing an object or a non-existing vehicle and panic braking. Also, I've noticed that if your aggressively overtaking vehicles and get too close to the rear end of another vehicle, the vehicle will cut all throttle, flash a yellow !, and possibly brake.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I wasn't actually sure you could turn off emergency braking. How do you do that?
In the owner's manual, starting on Page 495 is an explanation of how CMBS works and how to turn it off.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda sensing on the Civic was trash on my 20 Sport so I'm not surprised it is on your 21 R. Turn all that stuff off if you are going to do any spirited driving. The amount of times it saw ghost vehicles is insane.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

But, I can't imagine that was the issue, as I would have seen the big yellow indicator pop up?
It can come and go pretty quick esp if you're focused on the passing. To turn off just press and hold the button to the left of the steering wheel. It'll beep and notify you then it's off.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
You dont happen to be a left foot braker?

OP
OP

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It can come and go pretty quick esp if you're focused on the passing. To turn off just press and hold the button to the left of the steering wheel. It'll beep and notify you then it's off.
Thank you for the information!
Sponsored