Strange sound with milltek ec approved exhaust

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
I have installed my 3" catback milltek exhaust with carbon tips and on high speed and revs i have this strange wind noise in the back .
Bumper and all pipes are tighten..
On high speed its loud as fuck Sounds like intermittend missfire but the engine is ok ..changed the Position from the last muffler but its like before. Maybe the rear Tips are the Problem that the airflow airflow under the car is going into the rear tips and the exhaust gas and the airflow make this sound.
. Any ideas .?.

Sponsored

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have installed my 3" catback milltek exhaust with carbon tips and on high speed and revs i have this strange wind noise in the back .
Bumper and all pipes are tighten..
On high speed its loud as fuck Sounds like intermittend missfire but the engine is ok ..changed the Position from the last muffler but its like before. Maybe the rear Tips are the Problem that the airflow airflow under the car is going into the rear tips and the exhaust gas and the airflow make this sound.
. Any ideas .?.

Im on the same boat as you, been troubleshooting this issue for months. I data logged a pull and everything software controlled looks ok. Tighened all the clamps across the catback to ensure no leaks and still does it. It happens on the top end of the rev range but it does not do it always. I call all milltek owners to chime in. My exhaust is the full resonated version tho.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol...nothing is wrong. I have the non resonated one. It's the muffler...you're hearing the exhaust flow more. I usually only notice it more when I put the back seat down or if I put the windows down.

I can't be certain, but I believe they designed that muffler to help prevent it from having a lot of drone...so what you're hearing is the exhaust flow going through all the channels in the muffler at those higher rpms.

I feel like it sounds like a dang jet taking off at those higher rpms...I don't mind it.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
lol...nothing is wrong. I have the non resonated one. It's the muffler...you're hearing the exhaust flow more. I usually only notice it more when I put the back seat down or if I put the windows down.

I can't be certain, but I believe they designed that muffler to help prevent it from having a lot of drone...so what you're hearing is the exhaust flow going through all the channels in the muffler at those higher rpms.

I feel like it sounds like a dang jet taking off at those higher rpms...I don't mind it.
:D yep like a jet coming taking off.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its not alone this jet Sound its with this intermittend missfire sound without having Real missfire.. And thats defo not normal and really sucks while driving at high rpm.
I never hear misfiring in high rpm...so yeah, sounds like you have an issue...and I can't imagine an exhaust causing misfire. Are you running a tune, maybe you need that harness switched out?

I didn't hear misfire in that vid, just fyi

OP
OP

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
Maybe the Carbon tips are the Problem that Air is going from behind into the carbon Cover trugh the pipe and there are massiv wrong airflow that make this noise..

Somebody told me there could be a leak and fresh air goes in the pipe and the exhaustgas can fire up in the exhaust..

My next steps are drive without tips..
If its still there i will watch into the last silencer maybe there is something in there.. Last thing ist so reinstall the hole exhaust and put it back together with exhaust glue to prevent any leaks..

OP
OP

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
I never hear misfiring in high rpm...so yeah, sounds like you have an issue...and I can't imagine an exhaust causing misfire. Are you running a tune, maybe you need that harness switched out?

I didn't hear misfire in that vid, just fyi
No i havent a tune.. Its stock.. In about an hour i will check my car on a Lift..
I will tell you about my experience.

OP
OP

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8

I know some other guys with the milltek and they havent the same noise like me.. So there must be an issue .

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
maybe I'm thinking I hear what you are hearing lol. I thought from your vid it just sounded like the exhaust flowing through the muffler. That's the sound I hear on mine, like I said though, only when I have the back seats down or windows open.

I listened to it while it was on the dyno and it didn't seem to make that noise from the outside...which made me think it's just something you'll hear from inside?

I'm hoping it's nothing for your sake...it's probably nothing and you're making yourself think there's something wrong :)

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I listened to the vid again...I've definitely heard that sound before and always felt it was just the muffler. I have the polished double wall tips....so I doubt it's your tips?

Quite honestly, right now, I don't have the exhaust on. I might put it back on here today or tomorrow and I'll try listening again and let you know (but I'll be using different tips).

OP
OP

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
Its defo the rear silencer. I drove without the big last silencer and the strange sound was gone!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah! Okay so I guess I was right in suspecting it was the muffler. If you can look inside it and you see the channels...hence why I think it makes that sound at high rpms. I think they made it that way...like most mufflers to prevent excessive drone

Last edited:

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ah! Okay do I guess I was right unsuspecting it was the muffler. If you can look inside it and you see the channels...hence why I think it makes that sound at high rpms. I think they made it that way...like most mufflers to prevent excessive drone
I deleted my muffler comment cause it could be the middle resonator. So lets wait for him to comment.
Sponsored