Strange sound at startup

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
well...my brand new 400 miles HB sport is also making those start up grinding noise.

boston_george

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatch Sport, 91 Crx Si , 94 Del Sol Vtec
Country flag
well...my brand new 400 miles HB sport is also making those start up grinding noise.
2017 sport with 420 miles and I've had the cold start engine ratteling noise since day 1. Is the general consensus that an oil change clears up the issue?

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Weird analogy but my new back in '07 Rincon ATV would tick at idle so bad I swore I never heard a motor sound that loud, like a lifter not secured..Honda said it's normal..7,000mi. and 8 years it's gone but it hung in there ticking for 3-4 years then diminished...turned out through the loop of wrong causes to be a designed decompression function so the starter has longevity..still didn't sound like a together motor for a long time..I was hot about it...but I knew it was not damaging the engine.

This could be similar....except we still don't know exactly what going on, again, it doesn't inspire confidence at all.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
2017 sport with 420 miles and I've had the cold start engine ratteling noise since day 1. Is the general consensus that an oil change clears up the issue?
On the contrary, the consensus is that oil change does not clear it up. Also, the startup noise discussed mainly in this thread is the warm start up grinding noise, not the cold.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
NO, I don't think there is any consensus through all these posts at all. The consensus is a VTC actuator, not an oil change.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NO, I don't think there is any consensus through all these posts at all. The consensus is a VTC actuator, not an oil change.
Been awhile since I've visited this post. @HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA, has there been any news from Honda acknowledging this annoying problem in the 1.5T? 13,300 miles later the grinding is still there albeit not getting worse. Honda's wish is being answered that by discounting the complaints as normal, the complaints will eventually die down. For now, I am living with it and monitoring, and although I still like this car, my trust in the Honda brand has waned.

ohioflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T 2016
Been awhile since I've visited this post. @HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA, has there been any news from Honda acknowledging this annoying problem in the 1.5T? 13,300 miles later the grinding is still there albeit not getting worse. Honda's wish is being answered that by discounting the complaints as normal, the complaints will eventually die down. For now, I am living with it and monitoring, and although I still like this car, my trust in the Honda brand has waned.
Honda have found the solution to this which is a replacement in CVT module. I've changed mine and the grinding is now gone.

OP
OP
edwanny

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Honda have found the solution to this which is a replacement in CVT module. I've changed mine and the grinding is now gone.
So do you just go to them and tell them about the grinding? Or did you get a letter? And how long did it take?

ohioflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T 2016
So do you just go to them and tell them about the grinding? Or did you get a letter? And how long did it take?
I persuaded them to record my car starting sound and luckily my car stated grinding the first time they film. After that, it took them about 1-2 month to proceed with CVT replacement.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
I persuaded them to record my car starting sound and luckily my car stated grinding the first time they film. After that, it took them about 1-2 month to proceed with CVT replacement.

If you still have it, could you post the repair order from the dealer that agreed to CVT replacement ? Not doubting that was the problem, so we all have some ammunition going back to our respective dealers (redact personal info of course)

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
If you still have it, could you post the repair order from the dealer that agreed to CVT replacement ? Not doubting that was the problem, so we all have some ammunition going back to our respective dealers (redact personal info of course)
keep in mind this is an individual from Thailand...whole different ball of wax as far as dealership networks...I'd bet money no north American dealership would do this, unless HOA gave approval which is doubtful.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, sad to see, sounds like they figured it out. But at the end of the day we can't do jack shit here in North America. That's why I'm trading my car before end of warranty because just imagine what a cvt replacement would cost out of warranty. Too risky for me to "hope" it doesn't get worse if screws something up really bad..

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, sad to see, sounds like they figured it out. But at the end of the day we can't do jack shit here in North America. That's why I'm trading my car before end of warranty because just imagine what a cvt replacement would cost out of warranty. Too risky for me to "hope" it doesn't get worse if screws something up really bad..
@NorthernEX-T you hit the nail right on the head there. @ohioflyer, as much as I'd like to keep my car until the wheels fall off, the cost of replacing a transmission would probably be a third the cost of the car by the time I'm out of warranty. I think I would prefer to sell or trade her in. Last I took my car in, they kept it for 11 business days, only to tell me the noise was normal and they couldn't hear any grinding at all even after all the instructions I've given and videos I've shown. Seriously. We'll just have to see if a TSB will be issued for the NA cars affected. Class action lawsuit might speed up the process.
Sponsored