Strange sound at startup

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Dretlaw Maybe its time for another dealer opinion. I was lucky that a master tech and another tech come and look at my car. You should insist of a Master tech at the second dealer. Because sooner or later the noise gonna become something worse.
Going to wait until my first oil change. Should be coming up soon. Thanks.
Sponsored

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
Going to wait until my first oil change. Should be coming up soon. Thanks.
Yea, I don't know why the your dealer was not able to replicate the noise, but mine was able to. I think that your dealer did not follow exact instruction to replicate it.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, I don't know why the your dealer was not able to replicate the noise, but mine was able to. I think that your dealer did not follow exact instruction to replicate it.
I think when I told them that it might be the actuator it turned them off that a customer is telling them what the problem is. And I strongly believe that this actuator issue is bad news to the dealer as they r not being paid out the way they are expecting to be.

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I think when I told them that it might be the actuator it turned them off that a customer is telling them what the problem is. And I strongly believe that this actuator issue is bad news to the dealer as they r not being paid out the way they are expecting to be.
Maybe its time for another dealer, because not happy customer = lose sales in both car and service.

I did not mention the VTC actuator at all when I arrived at the dealership, and I heard the master tech mention it as a problem for the Accord, the CRV and possible my car when I show him the video with the hood up. But at least the tech send my complaint to AHM, instead of dismissing my complaint straight away as something normal.

One weird thing, that I ask the SA about the CVT surging and audio update TSBs, and when he show it to me through internal Honda website, there is none for my car.

Last edited:

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Dretlaw @NorthernEX-T

Honda engineers got back to my dealer, but they was not able to give an explanation for the noise. AHM did tell the dealer to test with another 1.5T car; they was able to replicate the noise on the other car.

Small update: after making smaller volume noise at the dealer, my car decide its time to make the noise louder while staying park at home like my first video. So I'm baffled :(:(

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange sound at startup yXDTKhc

Last edited:

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
Last night while going to sleep it occurred to me that this topic is creating mass hysteria. I have no way of knowing that the noise will get worse with time. I do not know if it is the actuator. It is totally possible that the noise will turn out to be benign and irrelevant. However, I still think powell's noise unfortunately sounds different in one of the posted videos so that he may have a problem (his is more chain clacking, whereas ours is more continuous and smooth). Finally I reinstate that our noise may not be harmless however.

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III with ATP
Vehicle Showcase
Heyo. Mine is doing the grind on cold starts as well, but a little more staccato like...and it seems to only make the noise when the starter is turning. I dunno, I'm getting pretty fed up with all this nonsense. Honda must have in their minds that all their customers are idiots and will settle for whatever bullshit they try to feed the customer. My transmission has started the surging/jerkiness as well. I've had this car at the dealer 10 times. That's right, 10. I put over 70k miles on my 2011 Civic and other than maintenance, it was at the dealer once for something and it was my fault. So yeah.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
That is sad Cabecker. I know how that feels per my vw. My car has been good in the last few days. I think honda sent a message via a satellite to correct my problem :spaz:

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
when I get back to work on tuesday I will post both the accord and crc responses on Hondas end. it describes whats going on with their grinding noises. it also states that replacing the vtc actuator will not fix the problem as someone mentioned earlier.

they are working on a redesigned vtc actuator and expect to have an update by the fall.

will post updates on Tuesday.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
My noise is back. I wonder if the noise will change or go away when the weather gets cooler.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when I get back to work on tuesday I will post both the accord and crc responses on Hondas end. it describes whats going on with their grinding noises. it also states that replacing the vtc actuator will not fix the problem as someone mentioned earlier.

they are working on a redesigned vtc actuator and expect to have an update by the fall.

will post updates on Tuesday.
So in other words, we should be expecting a recall? Thanks for the update @HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA!

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My noise is back. I wonder if the noise will change or go away when the weather gets cooler.
I think that the heat plays a big part with it getting worse to the point that it will also make that grinding noise on cold starts. I hear a hint of it on cold start, but not bad yet and not consistently as when it's been driven and rested for 2-3 hours. It's been 109 degrees farenheit in Central California and this turbo engine runs very hot.

I guess we won't know until winter gets here.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I think that the heat plays a big part with it getting worse to the point that it will also make that grinding noise on cold starts. I hear a hint of it on cold start, but not bad yet and not consistently as when it's been driven and rested for 2-3 hours. It's been 109 degrees farenheit in Central California and this turbo engine runs very hot.

I guess we won't know until winter gets here.
This is the hottest running turbo or any engine I have ever owned and I have owned a lot....

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

Brought it to the dealer over this noise. Showed them this video.

they kept the car all weekend. Three techs heard it and said "normal for this engine- fuel pump noise"

This is the only car Honda uses this engine for, and I don believe any grinding is "normal" on a brand new car, especially considering they are FINALLY acknowledging the VTC Actuator noise on the 2012-2015 Si- which sounds identical to this.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

Brought it to the dealer over this noise. Showed them this video.

they kept the car all weekend. Three techs heard it and said "normal for this engine- fuel pump noise"

This is the only car Honda uses this engine for, and I don believe any grinding is "normal" on a brand new car, especially considering they are FINALLY acknowledging the VTC Actuator noise on the 2012-2015 Si- which sounds identical to this.
Classic noise right there. If they say it's normal why doesn't it do it everytime! Stupid Honda techs.. Smh.

Thanks for the updates @ltmikepowell

@leodan I disagree sir. I believe mikes noise is the same as all of ours, his is just the worst..
Sponsored