strange rubbing/clicking from front end when turning sharp?

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
New axles? I have not gotten new axles. They are supposed to get new cv boots in, but it isn't going to change. They need re designed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Ok I must have gotten confused. I thought when you went and got the sensors replaced they also replaced the axles. So they are going to replace the boots on your axles?

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I had them inspect the sound. Which they confirmed were the cv boots rubbing when wet. They rescheduled me in to have the boots replaced but they said the passenger side boot is discontinued. Something is fucked up. So he is calling me back when they can get the boot in so they can replace them.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well if they are discontinued I'd assume they did do a redesign maybe. No reason to discontinue an axle boot for a car that's been out barely 2 years unless there's a problem. Strange that if that's the case though it isn't more wide-spread.

4drsiblue

First Name
Itz_knt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Dam that’s pretty bad. Mines doesn’t do that at all, i’am so sorry.try a silicone lube spray on the boots.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
silicone lube didn't do anything for me. Out of desperation I actually rubbed wheel bearing grease all over them just to confirm that my sound was in fact chafing rubber like I thought. (had the car in the air in gear, axles turning and held a rag against the boots) then wiped them clean with another rag and have never heard another sound except once for a few minutes (if its even what I heard for sure).

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Yeah, they still can't get the passenger boot in. Kind of ridiculous. I think I am just going to tell them to fuck off and I will just grease the boot like you did. Unless they did a re-design of the boot I can't see how replacing it is going to do anything anyway.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've replaced a lot of axles and always looked for the cheapest route, hence doing it myself, so at first I inquired about just replacing the boot versus getting a whole new axle. Every place I asked told me it was more labor intensive to just do the boot and way easier and cheaper to just put a new axle on. I can't see why Honda wouldn't just replace it , but then again if they don't have an axle with the new designed boot, you'd have to wait on that too.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing it you work at a dealership and have the nice tool to use those clamps, are in a nice clean shop, car on a lift with the wheels at chest level, etc then the boot could be a fairly quick/simple job.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm guessing it you work at a dealership and have the nice tool to use those clamps, are in a nice clean shop, car on a lift with the wheels at chest level, etc then the boot could be a fairly quick/simple job.
Lol, yea, all my jobs entailed either laying on ice, or 100° blacktop.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I work in the gravel usually... Not fun but sounds a bit better than scorching blacktop... Or ice lol. I worked under the car yesterday, 39 degrees out and my fingers just didn't want to cooperate.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work in the gravel usually... Not fun but sounds a bit better than scorching blacktop... Or ice lol. I worked under the car yesterday, 39 degrees out and my fingers just didn't want to cooperate.
Oh geeze, been there done that, seems like nothing wants to cooperate when its that cold, your fingers, the parts,or your tools. Hell, even my wife won't cooperate when its that cold, just sits there screaming"why can't you do this when its warm out?" As if I chose when the car breaks down,lmao.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does that mean she cooperates other times? My wife must need to learn a thing or two! :rofl:

fk7_muffin

First Name
Kyra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I've noticed a similar sound twice but it's not consistent. It happened while turning sharply into a parking spot and then another time when parallel parking. Both times I thought I had hit a curb or ran something over but thankfully not let us know if greasing the boot resolves the issue! I might mention it at my next oil change.
Sponsored