Strange noise when turning

trunks235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r, Subaru Legacy
Hi all,

I’ve noticed this occurring when it’s cold outside. Whenever I first turn the car on and leave the parking space, as I reverse and fully turn the wheel either left or right, the car begins to make this popping noise around the front tires and kind of shakes. Not sure what it could be. I tried taking a video but it didn’t show the magnitude of the sound/“hopping” motion from the car. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

TeKNiC3

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3|GTR|997TT
Country flag
Hi all,

I’ve noticed this occurring when it’s cold outside. Whenever I first turn the car on and leave the parking space, as I reverse and fully turn the wheel either left or right, the car begins to make this popping noise around the front tires and kind of shakes. Not sure what it could be. I tried taking a video but it didn’t show the magnitude of the sound/“hopping” motion from the car. Any thoughts?

Did you check to see if the dealer removed the spring spacers when they PDI'd your car?

Take a look at your front struts / springs to see if there are orange blocks installed. If so, get them removed ASAP.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this exact same thing happen two nights ago when it started snowing.... in Texas... I took the car for a drive and felt it when doing a tight U-turn. So it's normal?

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
When it's cold, the LSD locks earlier and the outer wheel cannot rotate much faster than the inner wheel. So, you will feel the front wheels hopping and slipping.

OP
OP

trunks235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r, Subaru Legacy
When it's cold, the LSD locks earlier and the outer wheel cannot rotate much faster than the inner wheel. So, you will feel the front wheels hopping and slipping.
Thanks. So is this something normal that I should get used to?

Ramster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8 / Supra MKV / Tesla M3P / G80 M3C xDrive
Country flag
How do you hear that over the ridiculous brake squeal. :)
Because I have to be at work by 5am so I’m the only car outside that’s turning. The brake squel drives me crazy too, it’s embarassing when having come to a stop, I have to gently tap on the brake so minimize the squel.

Gjj1056

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
I also noticed this when it started snowing and very cold weather. When I turn my wheels driving really slowly to either left or right, there is a grinding noise. Disappears when I drive straight or if I turn the car fast enough. Never had this before before the cold kicked in.

Also, it's her first winter. 2017 Civic Hatch CVT Sport.

Is this normal?

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I also noticed this when it started snowing and very cold weather. When I turn my wheels driving really slowly to either left or right, there is a grinding noise. Disappears when I drive straight or if I turn the car fast enough. Never had this before before the cold kicked in.

Also, it's her first winter. 2017 Civic Hatch CVT Sport.

Is this normal?
Does it have an LSD? Or open diff?

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Are you guys running the stock tires in this cold weather? If so a few weeks back when I had to use the CTR I was pulling out of the driveway and the tires more or less skipped on the cold pavement making that noise you speak of. Just a thought.

Gjj1056

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Are you guys running the stock tires in this cold weather? If so a few weeks back when I had to use the CTR I was pulling out of the driveway and the tires more or less skipped on the cold pavement making that noise you speak of. Just a thought.
Yes. Stock Continental tires... With the 18". ) So could it be the tires??
Sponsored

Last edited: