Strange noise when decelerating from 4000 to 3500 rpms

tflowers94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hearing a strange noise (2019 Type R) from the front end when decelerating from 4000 to 3500 rpms in every gear and goes away when on the throttle. If not in that range, you don't hear the noise. It sounds like some sort of whirring/metallic noise.

Took it to Honda and they said they could not replicate the issue and did their courtesy inspection and everything looked good..

Anyone else hearing this noise or might know what's causing it? I just bought the car used with 2.4K miles on it and want to make sure its nothing serious.

you can hear it at 1, 10, 16, 23, 30, and 36 seconds in the video

Sponsored

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Is it when the A/C is on or does it not matter? If so, it’s probably your A/C slowly failing. Just like every other 10th gen civic.

Maybe it is transmission noise, idk. You only have 2500 miles on the car.

OP
OP
tflowers94

tflowers94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is it when the A/C is on or does it not matter? If so, it’s probably your A/C slowly failing. Just like every other 10th gen civic.

Same noise with the A/C on and off. Not sure what could be wrong since its pretty much a new car.. Maybe the previous owner didn't break it in correctly?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hearing a strange noise (2019 Type R) from the front end when decelerating from 4000 to 3500 rpms in every gear and goes away when on the throttle. If not in that range, you don't hear the noise. It sounds like some sort of whirring/metallic noise.

Took it to Honda and they said they could not replicate the issue and did their courtesy inspection and everything looked good..

Anyone else hearing this noise or might know what's causing it? I just bought the car used with 2.4K miles on it and want to make sure its nothing serious.

I wasn't sure until I heard it at 36. I hear this as well, it's fairly normal. It's partly the engine parameters transitioning a lot in that RPM range, partly just plain old mechanical resonance.

Last edited:

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Could you please repost the video? It says it has been removed for me.

FK8_JJ

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R, 92 Civic Si, 04 Honda S2000, 13 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I have this same noise that I'm trying to figure out. I mostly hear it from 4000-3500 rpm on deceleration especially on the highway. I have a stock exhaust so it stands out even more.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
I mean K20C1 for start does not have balance shaft, so it will feel more harsh, noisy and vibrate more. Add less sound deadening than normal car and you got all bunch of noises lol

FK8_JJ

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R, 92 Civic Si, 04 Honda S2000, 13 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I mean K20C1 for start does not have balance shaft, so it will feel more harsh, noisy and vibrate more. Add less sound deadening than normal car and you got all bunch of noises lol

My car just started making the noises recently and sometimes I can feel the vibration through the pedals.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
I would say completely normal, I would have to feel it myself but I wouldn't stress about it. Mine does that since day one and I was beating my head with it all the time till I figured it is normal. And I drive the shit out if just hit 40k the other day and about 30k is full bolt ons+ tuned.

I can't watch the video for some reason so I wouldnt be able to tell you my opinion on what it is . I guess it is clutch engagement that you feel through clutch pedal due to light flywheel. I mean since you have 2500 miles only if you are really concerned I would take it to a dealer that you can trust so they can look at it. But honestly don't think you have a reason to be worried

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag

How widespread is that A/C issue? Tons of 10th gen here, and no one had that issue (just checked on our IG group). I also asked our FK8 IG group and no one has any A/C issues (now gear grind... urgh).

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
How widespread is that A/C issue? Tons of 10th gen here, and no one had that issue (just checked on our IG group). I also asked our FK8 IG group and no one has any A/C issues (now gear grind... urgh).
This doesn’t seem to be an issue with the A/C, but A/C issues have been reported on all 10th gens. Not excluding the Type R.

iLxfted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I have the same problem with a 2018 Honda Si coupe, started happening after I got my AC repaired for leaking back in August of 2020. The vibration noise is when around 3.5k-4k RPMs in all gears and even in neutral. Even had a foreman as a passenger and heard the noise said something might be loose. So far I've taken it 3 times to the dealer and have not been able to find anything causing it. My vehicle is currently still at the dealer, will have an update later today.

***UPDATE*** The dealer found it was a loose pipe when the AC was repaired a while ago. It's secured and also had foam tape applied. The vibration noise went away when test driving with a Foreman, but will drive at night when to confirm.

Last edited:

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure but there ks a recall

Not sure, but there is a bunch of recalls on them for having holes in the condenser. My wifes ex has a recall on it
Sponsored