Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof

Msquared

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch w/Honda Sensing
possible to get better pictures of where it was placed to stop the rattle? i've got the same problem but i dont want to just stuff the whole roof with material if i dont need to :p
It's really difficult to actually see what you are doing. My project was mostly by feel. I did open up my sunroof for more space, but unless you can somehow get above the car, you've got to just sit in your car, reach up, and shove the padding in.

You can stick your fingers beneath the headliner next to the side of the sunroof. You will feel a metal frame around the sunroof. The goal is to get the padding underneath the metal frame and between it and the headliner.

I knew exactly where to put the padding, because when I pressed up on a certain spot in the headliner, it made the clicking/rattling sound. So that's where I put it. To test it out after you put it in, just press up again to make sure that the clicking sound is no more.

Really, I thought this diagram that AegisPrime88 made was very helpful:

Sponsored

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's really difficult to actually see what you are doing. My project was mostly by feel. I did open up my sunroof for more space, but unless you can somehow get above the car, you've got to just sit in your car, reach up, and shove the padding in.

You can stick your fingers beneath the headliner next to the side of the sunroof. You will feel a metal frame around the sunroof. The goal is to get the padding underneath the metal frame and between it and the headliner.

I knew exactly where to put the padding, because when I pressed up on a certain spot in the headliner, it made the clicking/rattling sound. So that's where I put it. To test it out after you put it in, just press up again to make sure that the clicking sound is no more.

Really, I thought this diagram that AegisPrime88 made was very helpful:
perfect. maybe itll make more sense when i go in my car and check it out. i've heard it make the noise but never really looked into it much.
i have this foam stuff with sticky backing. not sure if this would work, its about 1inch wide and a few mills thick.
Honda Civic 10th gen Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof Photo 2017-09-25, 11 25 30 AM
i imagine it would.

Msquared

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch w/Honda Sensing
perfect. maybe itll make more sense when i go in my car and check it out. i've heard it make the noise but never really looked into it much.
i have this foam stuff with sticky backing. not sure if this would work, its about 1inch wide and a few mills thick.
Photo 2017-09-25, 11 25 30 AM.jpg
i imagine it would.
I don't think it could hurt to try that, as long as the sticky part doesn't make it difficult to slide in there.

Soh_civicx

First Name
Sohaib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback
Hey folks,
I have the European version of the civic hatchback, with a panoramic tilt and slide glass roof. I am also hearing popping sounds from the headliner (images attached) . When I press, it feels something sticky is inside, which isn't sticking properly. I went to the dealer, and they refused to do anything about it. Since here in Finland, its freaking expensive to do repairs and the dealers try to avoid any repairs even under warranty, unless something is really broke.
Have anyone successfully tried the fix mentioned here?

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof IMG_20171023_125641

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof IMG_20171023_125720

LockDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Plus
Hey folks,
I have the European version of the civic hatchback, with a panoramic tilt and slide glass roof. I am also hearing popping sounds from the headliner (images attached) . When I press, it feels something sticky is inside, which isn't sticking properly. I went to the dealer, and they refused to do anything about it. Since here in Finland, its freaking expensive to do repairs and the dealers try to avoid any repairs even under warranty, unless something is really broke.
Have anyone successfully tried the fix mentioned here?

IMG_20171023_125641.jpg

IMG_20171023_125720.jpg
Hello Soh-civicx,
I also bought a European version with panoramic glass roof in Poland. Unfortunately, after the 3000 km there appeared cracks, knocking on the inside roof of the car. The car was in service repair 3 times and did not bring a positive result. The next complaint was that they did not know how to fix it. They told me to contact Honda Poland. Talking on the phone did nothing to solve the problem. They said they knew a few of the faults and would report to Honda Europe. Unfortunately they did not confirm it on paper. The service said that he was replacing the clamps - the fittings in the headliner. Probably it comes to vibration while driving and the latch gets slack. Then the headliner hits the roof - the car's frame. When you start to press the headliner, you will hear a crack. I hope it is the same thing as the people from the ocean. The second thing - as you close the panoramic roof, try to push it where it joins the roof of the car. Also creaking. I think there should be a second gasket so that the rubber from the roof of the panormic does not wipe the roof paint of the car. I do not want to repair anything myself because the car is with a 3 year warranty. In the days I will send a letter to the Honda department in my country. and waited for feedback. If that does not help, I will contact Honda UK. If I have a response from Honda, I will write to the forum.

I wrote a bit with google translator forgive for errors.

I found it on YT:

Last edited:

Soh_civicx

First Name
Sohaib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback
Hello Soh-civicx,
I also bought a European version with panoramic glass roof in Poland. Unfortunately, after the 3000 km there appeared cracks, knocking on the inside roof of the car. The car was in service repair 3 times and did not bring a positive result. The next complaint was that they did not know how to fix it. They told me to contact Honda Poland. Talking on the phone did nothing to solve the problem. They said they knew a few of the faults and would report to Honda Europe. Unfortunately they did not confirm it on paper. The service said that he was replacing the clamps - the fittings in the headliner. Probably it comes to vibration while driving and the latch gets slack. Then the headliner hits the roof - the car's frame. When you start to press the headliner, you will hear a crack. I hope it is the same thing as the people from the ocean. The second thing - as you close the panoramic roof, try to push it where it joins the roof of the car. Also creaking. I think there should be a second gasket so that the rubber from the roof of the panormic does not wipe the roof paint of the car. I do not want to repair anything myself because the car is with a 3 year warranty. In the days I will send a letter to the Honda department in my country. and waited for feedback. If that does not help, I will contact Honda UK. If I have a response from Honda, I will write to the forum.

I wrote a bit with google translator forgive for errors.

I found it on YT:
Hey LockDown,

I also went to the dealer twice without any results. I will launch a complaint to Honda Finland. Did you get any response from Honda?

LockDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Plus
Hey LockDown,

I also went to the dealer twice without any results. I will launch a complaint to Honda Finland. Did you get any response from Honda?
Hi, unfortunately I have just sent a letter to the headquarters and I am waiting for a reply. I had health problems and that's why it took so long. I contacted the service and unfortunately nothing has changed. I found one user on another forum.
He said he was creaking material over his head in the roof. Glue was missing or dried out. Apparently it helped. If my Honda service does not deal with this, I will go to another one.
If I know something I will let you know right away.

Rojer

ANW Pirate Ninja
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback RED
The noise is enough to make me want to burn my car down. It's awful and I only have 1000 miles on my hatch.

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
This has been driving me insane !! I just got my vehicle brand new 6months ago and since that i have had this crackly sound from the ceiling panel as well. Rattles constantly. I also have some rattle in the front of my car somewhere but i dont think i will ever figure out what that is. I will try and stuff something in there to solve the ceiling issue. God knows dealerships probably wouldnt do jack shit to fix amyway.thanks everyone for not making me feel alone

patmzhang

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have had the same problem for a while. The sound wasn't that bad until I had a sub woofer installed and the bass would make it rattle like crazy. I put some dynapad where the people previously said; I shoved it in in the front and sides. Just pull on the headliner and it will clip off and then shove the stuff in and push the headliner back in. But the rattling didn't stop. I found out that some of the rattle was coming from the sun visor for me. So, I just put some soft stuff up there. Bad way to fix but it worked and now I can listen to my music without an annoying rattle.

Hatchback_lifestyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (VERY SOON)
Country flag
Did anyone follow that video up there and have successful results? I might do that instead of having the dealer waste time doing nothing to fox my problem.
Sponsored