cloudyy

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR, 320i, S2000
Country flag
I have a strange metal sound that I noticed when I slow down and start to make a turn to pull into a spot. I would describe it as like metal dragging/scrapping followed by a flicking metal sound (like flicking an antenna). It sound like it coming from the front bottom area.

Anyone suggestions on what I should check?
Sponsored

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
I have a strange metal sound that I noticed when I slow down and start to make a turn to pull into a spot. I would describe it as like metal dragging/scrapping followed by a flicking metal sound (like flicking an antenna). It sound like it coming from the front bottom area.

A rock probably. It should fall out...

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
This happened to me yesterday, what a scary sound!!! Rocks popped out after about 20-30 feet.

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR

Pebbles get in between the caliper and backing plate. I have to take my wheels off and remove them sometimes once a week. Usually notice it the worst when reversing.

maverick

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR
Country flag
Pebbles get in between the caliper and backing plate. I have to take my wheels off and remove them sometimes once a week. Usually notice it the worst when reversing.
Had this happen to me today and it doesn't seem to have fallen out. The noise was terrifying when backing up into my parking spot. Where exactly should I be looking?

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
Had this happen to me today and it doesn't seem to have fallen out. The noise was terrifying when backing up into my parking spot. Where exactly should I be looking?

When you take the wheel off, look in between the rotor and the backing plate with a flash light...typically wedged near the caliper. Sometimes you will have to pop the brake pads out. Luckily with Brembos, its a matter of pulling two pins and sliding the pads out. Just pay attention to how the metal clip of which the pins slide through goes, as well as the pads.

Putting the pads back in requires a little tap with the screw driver handle if they won't go freely. Pins will require a small rubber mallet and a punch, do it with ease as not to chip the powder coat!

I've had to do this numerous times and haven't had to compress the pistons yet...just don't let anyone tap the brake pedal while apart:thumbsup:

You'll be surprised how small the pebble making that much racket really is.

Do it at your own risk/discretion.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Going to bump this thread from the dead because i just experienced this noise with only 400 miles and it was a damn rock. Im going to say if you randomly hear a metal clanking noise, 95% it's a rock stuck between dust shield and rotor. I took a picture for future reference.

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange Metal Sound 148463-364edacc2e9b2991bf0d65632e7b4ebd

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Had this happen twice today. Had no clue what was going on and it sounded like I was dragging half of the underbody on the ground. Took a peek and nothing to see but it sure sounded like something rubbing against a heat shield or something like that.

Thanks for starting this thread.