Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's proper winter here in the Midwest, but I'm still DDing my FK8. However I've noticed something peculiar (I think?) with my car's idle after it's fully warmed up.

It's fairly subtle, but there is a distinct inconsistency or un-smoothness to the exhaust note specifically. Kind of like a "mmmmmmmBmmmbmmmm", almost like baby backfires. The boost gauge also jumps from -10 to -9 and back again intermittently (but not tied to the sound), but revs seem to be consistent.

I'd share a video, but I can't get the backfire sound to pick up, it's only in the bass note of the exhaust.

Am I just being overly sensitive? The car drives great otherwise as far as I can tell. The only thing I could think of is a bad spark plug but I've only got 5k miles on the OD.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
mine does since day 1. in face the coyote in my mustang does that too since new. its just more obvious in a v8. maybe emission related?

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Mine does this too. Never really considered it an issue. No CEL, car runs fine. Just little burble farts from the exhaust on idle.

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
yes, mine comes from the rear and occasionally the sound dips in and out, but it is audible to backseat passengers

OP
OP
Hacklespur

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds like the consensus is that I'm just over thinking it. Thank you everyone for your replies!

These sounds are now going to be referred to as "burble farts" from here on out.
Sponsored