Strange creaking noise of front suspension?

T.is.for.turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi all,

I am new here so apologies for the lack of knowledge! My newly bought(5m old) 2018 Honda Civic EX-T has been making some odd groaning noises while turning the steering wheel fully to the right and left while depressing the brake pedal. The noise happens again, abruptly and loudly when I let off of the brake.

Some people have told me this is normal due to wet conditions or the parking brake. I’m just not sure if it is normal or something to be concerned about. It DOES NOT happen every time but this past week it happened many times while it was raining but also in cold conditions with no rain.

I have attached a video to demonstrate the noise. The first bit of it is me turning the steering wheel and the final big groan is me letting off of the brake.

Dennis_LiuYX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have similar noise on my 2018 fk8 civic type r. Have not got any solution yet.
Here is the video to demonstrate the noise

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the exact same noise occasionally on my 17' coupe. usually when turning order an uneven surface.

It was pretty bad for a while until i jacked the car up one day and then the noise went away for about 6 months I now only here it when going slow over large undulations when the suspension needs to travel a lot. I've stopped caring about it, only keeping it another year.

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
If it happens while on the brake and again when you left off the brake, I would say it's brake pad chatter. As ypu turn the wheel, it moves slightly, and the pads shift causing the noise.

One way to check this is to press the brake pedal really hard and turn the wheel. And then again with a "normal" amount of pressure. Compare noises. Try there first, and then we can shoot off into checking suspension items.

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
I have the exact same noise occasionally on my 17' coupe. usually when turning order an uneven surface.

It was pretty bad for a while until i jacked the car up one day and then the noise went away for about 6 months I now only here it when going slow over large undulations when the suspension needs to travel a lot. I've stopped caring about it, only keeping it another year.
Your noise doesn't sound like what they were saying. Yours sound really similar to what I had going on with my SI.
I ended up lubing the front struts with Shin Etsu grease. I put it on the strut shafts, and on the bump stop, and have been noise free over bumps and off camber due to uneven ground.

hitch

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
I've been searching this for a while and am in the same boat. Very noticeable when parking and reversing slowly, huge creaking noises from the front, definitely audible when even slightly turning the wheel at slow speeds. Having my workshop do a full nut & bolt check as well as giving everything a good lube to try eliminate.. it drives me fkn crazy when parking and people looking at the car like "WTF?!?!?!"

GRMPADVE

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP Coupe
Country flag
I have the exact same noise coming from my ‘18 Si HFP. I thought it was an issue with my 19” HFP rims coupled with my 235/40/19’s that are slightly larger in diameter than the stock spec 235/35/19’s.

I’ll give the grease a shot and see what happens, then report back.

GRMPADVE

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP Coupe
Country flag
Your noise doesn't sound like what they were saying. Yours sound really similar to what I had going on with my SI.
I ended up lubing the front struts with Shin Etsu grease. I put it on the strut shafts, and on the bump stop, and have been noise free over bumps and off camber due to uneven ground.
Thank you for this suggestion. I’ll let you know if it worked for me as well.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
How did this go for you guys? Suddenly my FK8 has been doing this on full lock while turning the wheel to park from a stop.
Sponsored