strange clutch thing happened

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
So yesterday I was driving home (2 lane highway, 55mph, sport mode) and I slowed down because the car in front of me was turning. I dropped down into second gear. I decided to accelerate quickly. I gave it a lot of gas as I was slowly letting the clutch out. The car started accelerating. As I got to the top of the clutch, the pedal came away from my foot for a second, but the car continued to accelerate. Then the clutch released. I shifted into 3rd, no problem. But I smelled what i assume was burning clutch (This is my first manual car) for about a mile or so. What happened?
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
When you say accelerating and getting to the top of the clutch it sounds like you’re slipping the clutch on purpose in 2nd? First gear is the only gear you slip, 2-6 should be about a second the clutch pedal is pressed. Anything more and you’re burning it up like you did

What I’m saying is when you decide to accelerate your foot should be completely off the clutch pedal. Not even depressed the slightest.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i agree, you never want to slip the clutch like that in 2nd gear. make sure the clutch is fully engaged (pedal all the way out) before you start accelerating. you burned up some clutch, no big deal. live and learn.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info. That leads me to another question... why does the same thing not happen in 1st gear?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Ditto everyone else. Slow release of the clutch and lots of gas don't mix if you want your clutch to live a long life.

Regarding first gear, do you normally give it a lot of gas and while releasing the clutch from a stop? For one the clutch doesn't have to work as hard in first gear to get going, and is quick to "hook up" even if you had the clutch pedal partially out.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info. That leads me to another question... why does the same thing not happen in 1st gear?
Well for 1st gear you should only be slipping it to get moving from a dead stop. So slip it until like 3-4mph if I had to guess then it should be fully engaged and you can floor it.

Doesn’t sound like you’re ready for the confusion of launching a car where you might slip it even more. That’s only for launching and if you always do it will ruin your clutch fast.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
So yesterday I was driving home (2 lane highway, 55mph, sport mode) and I slowed down because the car in front of me was turning. I dropped down into second gear. I decided to accelerate quickly. I gave it a lot of gas as I was slowly letting the clutch out. The car started accelerating. As I got to the top of the clutch, the pedal came away from my foot for a second, but the car continued to accelerate. Then the clutch released. I shifted into 3rd, no problem. But I smelled what i assume was burning clutch (This is my first manual car) for about a mile or so. What happened?
In that situation you'd want to rev-match downshift. No need to slip the clutch while the car is in motion. Would have better results just letting the clutch out with no action on the gas pedal. The engine revs would catch up as you release the clutch then you'd be free to accelerate. 2nd gear sounds a bit aggressive in that situation (from 55mph), but you also don't state what speed you slowed to, so can't judge that entirely.

You mention this is your first manual, so I assume you are not experienced enough yet to rev-match, but it's something you should learn as it makes your driving much more smooth and fluid. Anytime you downshift to accelerate, you should be rev-matching. While the clutch is in (while shifting) you "blip" the throttle to bring the engine rpms up to where the next gear down would be. It'll come with experience knowing at what engine speed you should be at in a situation. It's something you can practice all the time on the street to gain experience.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^^^ this car does it automatically I assume most people aren’t turning it off

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Still something someone who drives a manual should know how to do.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed, but considering his current struggles I think there is more to learn first before that.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
The CDV valve is also slowing down the clutch engagement. You can dump the clutch, the CDV valve will help you. Or remove the CDV valve and you have full control.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In that situation you'd want to rev-match downshift. No need to slip the clutch while the car is in motion. Would have better results just letting the clutch out with no action on the gas pedal. The engine revs would catch up as you release the clutch then you'd be free to accelerate. 2nd gear sounds a bit aggressive in that situation (from 55mph), but you also don't state what speed you slowed to, so can't judge that entirely.

You mention this is your first manual, so I assume you are not experienced enough yet to rev-match, but it's something you should learn as it makes your driving much more smooth and fluid. Anytime you downshift to accelerate, you should be rev-matching. While the clutch is in (while shifting) you "blip" the throttle to bring the engine rpms up to where the next gear down would be. It'll come with experience knowing at what engine speed you should be at in a situation. It's something you can practice all the time on the street to gain experience.
So to clarify i was slowed down to under 20 mph. I had already downshifted to 2nd gear and the RPMs were down low, so I gave it gas before i let the clutch out. I always drive with the rev match on. I have planned to someday experiment with driving having it off.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ditto everyone else. Slow release of the clutch and lots of gas don't mix if you want your clutch to live a long life.

Regarding first gear, do you normally give it a lot of gas and while releasing the clutch from a stop? For one the clutch doesn't have to work as hard in first gear to get going, and is quick to "hook up" even if you had the clutch pedal partially out.
Thank you for the explanation on why this doesn't happen in first gear. I've never really tried to "slip the clutch". This time it happened purely by accident. I have launched the car pretty aggressively from 1st gear plenty of times (autocross) and never had this happen.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am old school, that is the first thing I disable and I actually asked people in the group how to disable it but in return a million new / young manual driver scream to me saying I am disabling the best feature of this car.
I was like, I always does that myself why would i need the car to do it for me. If i want auto this and that, i might as well get a tesla..

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still something someone who drives a manual should know how to do.
I believe less and less people will actually know how to rev match or heel toe because of this auto rev match features. I disable it in first 10mins... according to the comment I got from younger & newer manual car owner.. i am dumb person
Sponsored