Stopping at stop sign

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Just wondering how many of you all come to a complete stop at stop signs with the Si. And if you don’t, how often? Other MT car drivers chime in too. I noticed when driving mine, most times instead of putting it in neutral and coming to a complete stop, I prefer to leave it in low gear and very slowly coast through, but only if no other cars are around.
It’s a bad habit, I know, not to mention illegal. But I’m too lazy or whatever to take it out of gear, stop, then put back in 1st again. I come to a dead stop with automatics most times, but not so with MT
Sponsored

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
You know you don't have to put the car in neutral to stop right lol? What i mean is you can stop your car in any gear if the clutch is depressed. Why would you put the car in neutral to stop? I just slow down, downshift to 1st and engine break with the clutch in, make a complete stop if i choose, and drive off in 1st gear. I mean, i get why you roll thru stop signs occasionally, but i don't understand the putting it in neutral thing as the reason.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i do it very often in any car i drive especially the SI

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I’m too lazy or whatever ...
not sure what the "whatever" would be.. its just simply too lazy to follow the law. If a cop was at the stop sign, you'd stop, right? But most people want to get away with something.. feel empowered blah blah.

I used to live next to a 4 way stop. There was a time when everyone stopped (lots of young families and small kids out and about). But in the last 3-4 years (lived there almost 15 years).. I see a lot of slow rollers.. some looking down at their phone.. some almost stopping some 10 feet before the line but still roll through, as though "slowing is good enough"... I get it.. you want to get where you are going with minimum inconvenience. Coming to an empty intersection with a stop sign is annoying. With my own kids now approaching driving age, i make it a point to come to a complete stop. leave my phone off etc to promote the ideas that following the laws is a good thing. I also make it a point to point out all those people not using turn signals, blowing through stop signs, obvious texting as they swerve down the road etc.

Do I do it though? sometimes. when i feel lazy.

OP
OP
Captaindicki

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
You know you don't have to put the car in neutral to stop right lol? What i mean is you can stop your car in any gear if the clutch is depressed. Why would you put the car in neutral to stop? I just slow down, downshift to 1st and engine break with the clutch in, make a complete stop if i choose, and drive off in 1st gear. I mean, i get why you roll thru stop signs occasionally, but i don't understand the putting it in neutral thing as the reason.
Everyone's got their technique. But I don't downshift gears when stopping at a sign or light. I put it in neutral just before a stop.
But I see the reasoning in engaging the clutch and putting it into first just before the stop, and driving off again in 1st. Maybe I'll try this

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Everyone's got their technique. But I don't downshift gears when stopping at a sign or light. I put it in neutral just before a stop.
But I see the reasoning in engaging the clutch and putting it into first just before the stop, and driving off again in 1st. Maybe I'll try this
I never consideted the different strokes for different folks aspect lol Ive always used dropping gears to slow down. I think mostly because i just personally dont like the way cars feel in neutral- i feel like i have much less control of the car like that. It may sound trivial, but I also get peace of mind from knowing i can hit the gas at anytime if i need too without having to shift in an emergency. There's obviously nothing wrong with the way you stop, i just honestly thought everyone stopped like me, mostly because i don't know anyone with a stick except me lol cheers!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Too lazy to stop at stop signs.
Too lazy to use turn signals when switching lanes.
Too busy on handheld cell phones to be aware of surrounding traffic.
Too much in a rush, and dangerously weave in and out of traffic lanes
Too totally oblivious to others on the road.
Too totally dependent on GPS to get anywhere - no sense of direction
Too fast on roads that make such speed a danger to others

Welcome to 2019 and so many incompetent drivers, putting everyone's lives at risk.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
There was one stop sign where I lived on Long Island was useless it was at the bottom of a steep hill and the crossroad was a service road for the power lines it was for power vehicles only. When you stop and going up the hill you had to put your foot in to it auto and manual transmissions and forget going down especially in the snow you’re not going to stop so I didn’t mind if someone rolled through this stop sign. The sign caused more accidents then anything after a few years they finally took it out

JadedSpade

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Too lazy to stop at stop signs.
Too lazy to use turn signals when switching lanes.
Too busy on handheld cell phones to be aware of surrounding traffic.
Too much in a rush, and dangerously weave in and out of traffic lanes
Too totally oblivious to others on the road.
Too totally dependent on GPS to get anywhere - no sense of direction
Too fast on roads that make such speed a danger to others

Welcome to 2019 and so many incompetent drivers, putting everyone's lives at risk.
Only thing I disagree with is the "oblivious" part. At least here in South Florida, it's more of an entitlement thing than being oblivious. It's the mindset of, "I come first."

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Only thing I disagree with is the "oblivious" part. At least here in South Florida, it's more of an entitlement thing than being oblivious. It's the mindset of, "I come first."
Especially in snow bird season

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I feel blessed to be alive in a time where MT's are still available. I would never consider it an inconvenience to come to a stop because I have to change gears. It's completely automatic in my mind and I don't even think about it when it's happening. It's simply stop, then go. In fact, I like stopping, because it means I get to start again... and my favorite part is rowing through the gears.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Agreed, my Bad .. "ENTITLEMENT" should have been there, probably as #1

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I don't have any particular technique, but I do try to make a complete stop at a stop sign and not do a "California stop". There is a 4 way stop sign near my house where nobody stops, and I cannot tell you how many times I have almost been hit while walking my dog or driving through it. There has been several accidents and near pedestrian hits, so much so that periodically cops park nearby to catch people

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
I do! It cost me $350 to learn my lesson, california roll baby!
Sponsored