flash_company

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I see so many people here spending unnecessary money on “boutique” oils that you don’t need. Spend a few minutes reading a good summary (from the people that test your oil!) about why it doesn’t matter.

Every oil you can get off the shelf now is really good, yes even the Walmart Supertech oil and AmazonBasics oil are fantastic and it’s more than your stock internals civic will ever need.
Stop listening to the marketing that your Amsoil salesdude is trying to tell you, I’ve heard so many lies from them that even amsoil disproves.

Stop paying for marketing; it’s your money.. your problem, just trying to help out a fellow car enthusiast to stop being taken advantage of.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

If you wanna learn *more*, go spend a few hours at bob is the oil guy, read the motor oil university.

The main issue with these cars is fuel dilution; the only solution is to change your oil more often. Not even the most expensive oil made from baby unicorn tears will prevent fuel from getting in your oil.

Personally, I use Supertech synthetic 5w30 and change it every 5k miles, it costs about $18 to change the oil and have a bunch leftover.
Sponsored

mrlm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Country flag
I see so many people here spending unnecessary money on “boutique” oils that you don’t need. Spend a few minutes reading a good summary (from the people that test your oil!) about why it doesn’t matter.

Every oil you can get off the shelf now is really good, yes even the Walmart Supertech oil and AmazonBasics oil are fantastic and it’s more than your stock internals civic will ever need.
Stop listening to the marketing that your Amsoil salesdude is trying to tell you, I’ve heard so many lies from them that even amsoil disproves.

Stop paying for marketing; it’s your money.. your problem, just trying to help out a fellow car enthusiast to stop being taken advantage of.

If you wanna learn *more*, go spend a few hours at bob is the oil guy, read the motor oil university.

The main issue with these cars is fuel dilution; the only solution is to change your oil more often. Not even the most expensive oil made from baby unicorn tears will prevent fuel from getting in your oil.

Personally, I use Supertech synthetic 5w30 and change it every 5k miles, it costs about $18 to change the oil and have a bunch leftover.
Arent you supposed to use 0w20? Does using a heavier oil affect you gas mileage much?

c1vic

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018 EX
Country flag
But mobil 1 is still cheaper with rebate

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Yup, I get my Mobil 1 for about $12 shipped 5qt jug

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag

I've been using any good synthetic 5W30 oil for the last three years.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I think as long as it is a quality synthetic at the recommended viscosity you should be just fine. As long as it is changed at normal intervals. I think the more important part is to get a quality oil filter that gives good filtration while also allowing the proper flow, but that’s my opinion. I’ve been using, and plan to continue using, Honda oem full synthetic oil and filters. They can also be ordered at a low price online.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stop worrying so much about oil brand 66E89127-E68D-46F1-B4D4-BB73EA26F5FC

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
*Lectures the community on wasting money.*

*Changes oil early.*

:rofl:
For FI engines - decreasing the oil change interval is a good practice.
Remember:
The Engine itself is operating at (min) 14.5psi.
Then your turbo is compressing another +14.5psi into the cylinders.

5K Miles for $18 is priceless as it relates to longevity.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I can understand the concern of running any oil (particularly 0W-20) for "extended" intervals. But we're simply not seeing evidence of higher wear rates. To each their own. :dunno:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

Regardless, I'd argue it's more efficient to pull an occasional UOA than adhere to an arbitrary interval. TCDI creates too many variables that negate traditional OCI schedules. Our limited readouts have all shown the MM reading a tad conservative - even under conditions that create high fuel dilution (frequent cold starts, short trips, cold climate operation, excessive idling, etc).

And yet for some, 5K is simply too long:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/maintenance-minder-is-at-50-with-only-1-682-miles.29141/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/15-oil-life-at-2500-miles.4296/

mrlm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Country flag
Ive read at the other post about using Castrol Edge 0w40 which is supposedly better oil at around the same price as M1 EP. Would the heavier oil damage my engine? would it lower mpgs as well?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Ive read at the other post about using Castrol Edge 0w40 which is supposedly better oil at around the same price as M1 EP. Would the heavier oil damage my engine? would it lower mpgs as well?
I'd be careful w/ 0w40. You'd probably see a bit lower gas mileage, but it might not be noticeable. As far as damage, 40 weight seems too heavy for an engine designed around 20 weight. I could see the argument for using a 0w30 as those will likely shear down to around a 20 weight over a typical OCI, but a 40 weight will likely only shear down to around a 30 weight.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I always stick to what the manufacturer recommends. I had a 97 Chevy Silverado with a vortec 350 which called for 5w30. Some people would tell me it was too thin. I say nobody should know better than the manufacturer. I ended up getting 250,000 miles out of that truck before I sold it with no engine problems at all. So stick to the proper viscosity oil that the manufacturer recommends and change when the reminder on your dash tells you then you will be fine. Just use full synthetic oil. Full synthetic oil doesn’t break down as fast as conventional oil does, so you can keep it in your engine longer. Yeah it’s more expensive but you don’t have to change it as often. So you end up spending about the same in the long run. I’d rather pay more and get synthetic and don’t have to change it for 7 or 8 thousand miles then have to change it every 3.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
why take the chance??

there is never a reason to use a different grade oil then what is recommended, the engineers know better then you and i do....just stick with the 0W20
There is, it's called racing or putting a lot more heat into your engine that normal use should. Honda put the 0w-20 in there for the extra 0.01% better fuel economy it gives. If you look at the european guides for recommended oil for the 1.5 some places say 5w-30 is ok. If you plan on daily driving your car and MAYBE once a year go to the race track, then 0w-20 is fine. If you'll be using your right foot regularly and doing a lot of auto-cross or canyon carving, then a slightly thicker oil will protect the engine better at the higher temps the engine oil will be at. A lot of people have also switched and said the engine sounds smoother as well and not as harsh at higher RPMs.

In the end, it's your choice but it should depend on your driving habits also.

mrkyle31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2002 Corvette Z06
Country flag
For FI engines - decreasing the oil change interval is a good practice.
Remember:
The Engine itself is operating at (min) 14.5psi.
Then your turbo is compressing another +14.5psi into the cylinders.

5K Miles for $18 is priceless as it relates to longevity.
Yes because you know better than the much more qualified engineers who put millions of man hours into designing and producing the engine :crazy:. Follow your oil life % and replace when necessary; otherwise you're wasting your money.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Yes because you know better than the much more qualified engineers who put millions of man hours into designing and producing the engine :crazy:. Follow your oil life % and replace when necessary; otherwise you're wasting your money.
Obviously your reading comprehension is very low. It is comforting to know that you are genuinely concerned with how others spend money on oil change intervals.
Sponsored