Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2016 Civic VSA Software Update (electric parking brake issue)

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Had an 8:40AM appointment this past Saturday for this recall; software update.
Did not get the call to pick till noon.
Started to drive out from the dealership and noticed the VSA bright orange light blinking and beeping (my music kept shutting off and on too).
My steering wheeling kept veering to the left.
Continued to drive home (5 min drive) to see if it was just nothing.
My car kept automatically turning to the left.. In a parking lot, down the street, and even on the high way.
Call them about this issue while test driving up and down the street to make sure.
Confirmed that I can go back to the dealership.
Informed them about this new issue, the VSA light on my dashboard and my steering wheel control.
Rude service. They tried to brush it off and laugh it off stating I should keep my hands on the wheel and control it or that I shouldn't run over pot holes.
That all they did was "plug a computer to my car" and "nothing was physically done"
Complete BS... Mechanic came out to ride with me to see for himself. Still stating that I should control the wheel (I should not need to force and turn right slightly at all times to go straight!).
Now it's Monday and I called for an update and turns out that they haven't done any thing.
Called again and manager states that "they are working on the alignment to see if that works."
Just got another call and the alignment did not work. So tomorrow, Tuesday, they will call the "Honda Tech Support" to diagnose this issue and for more instructions.
I will call the manager again. Then call corporate etc. I have no car. I was not offered a rental for this inconvenience since Saturday.

I will page catch this thread to see if anyone has this issue regarding the steering wheel.
If anyone else is having this issue, please let me know!

Thanks!!!
Dang! Sorry to hear about your experience....don't you hate when you have this occur and you KNOW something isn't right yet no one believes you....or nothing appears to fix the issue at hand. I hope you get it all sorted out...keep us informed !
Sponsored

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
Started to drive out from the dealership and noticed the VSA bright orange light blinking and beeping (my music kept shutting off and on too).
My car kept automatically turning to the left.. In a parking lot, down the street, and even on the high way.
Call them about this issue while test driving up and down the street to make sure.
Informed them about this new issue, the VSA light on my dashboard and my steering wheel control.
Rude service. They tried to brush it off and laugh it off stating I should keep my hands on the wheel and control it or that I shouldn't run over pot holes.
That all they did was "plug a computer to my car" and "nothing was physically done"
Complete BS... Mechanic came out to ride with me to see for himself. Still stating that I should control the wheel (I should not need to force and turn right slightly at all times to go straight!).
Now it's Monday and I called for an update and turns out that they haven't done any thing.
Called again and manager states that "they are working on the alignment to see if that works."
Just got another call and the alignment did not work. So tomorrow, Tuesday, they will call the "Honda Tech Support" to diagnose this issue and for more instructions.
I will call the manager again. Then call corporate etc. I have no car. I was not offered a rental for this inconvenience since Saturday.

I will page catch this thread to see if anyone has this issue regarding the steering wheel.

Thanks!!!
I seemed to had read somewhere (although not 100% certain) that when the software update is done the steering wheel should be facing straight forward. I am thinking that they did the update with the steering wheel to the right and so the computer is reading the wrong steering wheel alignment. If this is the case then they are quite ignorant. And by the way this dealer you are dealing with are indeed quite rude. When they came to fix my air condition the guy called right away to headquarter to inquired about something technically specific to the Ruud mechanism. I am sure they could have called Honda techs right away. Hope they refund you or give you some free service. Or perhaps otherwise you can write a negative review. I know I did when I dealt with the VW dealer here in Kenner and that is the main reason I left VW as well. That dealer in Kenner but also another one in the west band in New Orleans--beyond horrible, dishonest, etc.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
Does anyone know if when they update the software of the emergency brake system whether other multiple systems are updated as well? So far the automatic locking system problem I was having has not recur since this update, but it has been less than a week so maybe it will happen again.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks!!!
What dealer did you go to in MD? I'm in WV but from MD...this sounds like stealership BS...

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just had my VSA update and TCM update (for surging). It took a long time because they say all 7 computer components got updated.

The car drives perfect and has no issues. I tried all the touchscreen functions, lock functions. Everything looks great.

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So has anyone got their Civic through the update without any problems? It seems like most people here have problems. I'm still holding off on the recall because I don't want to be the guinea pig in this. This recall doesn't really affect me either as I always set my parking brake before shutting the car down.

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So has anyone got their Civic through the update without any problems? It seems like most people here have problems. I'm still holding off on the recall because I don't want to be the guinea pig in this. This recall doesn't really affect me either as I always set my parking brake before shutting the car down.
I took mine in for the recall update process..., but as I've posted previously they stated the updated had already been completed by Honda prior to the vehicle being release on the lot. The vin had not been updated. So, that being said, I cannot say I truly went through the update process, but did go through the motions....lol and it went pretty smoothly. I know that really doesn't answer your question completely....sorry

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just had my VSA update and TCM update (for surging). It took a long time because they say all 7 computer components got updated.

The car drives perfect and has no issues. I tried all the touchscreen functions, lock functions. Everything looks great.
Excellent!! :thumbsup:

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
It took them 4 hours to complete the recall, but other than that my car has been flawless.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
I would just do the update. As I posted previously the only issue I had were the warnings that came up on the center console. these went away very quickly after letting the car idle. Other people have posted similar results.

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It took them 4 hours to complete the recall, but other than that my car has been flawless.
4 hours? Honda says that the recall should talk 26 minutes to address. Did the dealer end up giving you a loaner? Did they tell you it would take 4 hours?

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
4 hours? Honda says that the recall should talk 26 minutes to address. Did the dealer end up giving you a loaner? Did they tell you it would take 4 hours?
Well I had splash guards and door edge guards installed, which is like a 30 min job. It was pretty busy that day, but still not an excuse to make me wait that long (had an appointment). At least my car works lol.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I'm with you and holding out. I also never turn the car off without engaging the parking brake since mine is a manual.

Glad to hear some are reporting no problems. I think I will head in once the dealers get enough time and experience to correct this issue properly.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I had no issues. Just reinstalled Honda Link on my iPhone and connected via cable for the first time yesterday. No issues, no bogus errors being displayed.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had no issues with the EPB per se but got the safety recall notice last week from Honda & NHTSA so I am taking it in Tue. I usually take care of any safety recall remedial pronto so this one should be no exception to that rule.

Will post my experience after Tue.

It says the software update is a 25 min process so give or take 45 min is what I am anticipating.

Funny I just took it to the dealer on Thu and had I noticed the recall notice, I'd have taken care of it with the oil change. Thats what you get for not checking your snail mail often.
Sponsored