greggers70

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 2018 Civic Type R just over a week ago and already I've had to take it to the dealership due to grinding/metallic noise intermittently coming from the calipers/roters. As suspected there were pebbles stuck in between the calipers and rotor. Honda removed them (13 pebbles) for me free of charge this time but said that they will charge me if I come back with the same problem. The helpful tech told me this is a common problem with the Brembo calipers. My issue going forward is that it is going to happen quite frequently. My questions are as follows?

1. Has anyone managed to control this problem, and if so what measures did you take?

2. Where is the best point to jack up the car so I can remove the pebbles myself next time? I was told by the tech the carbon fiber sills are very expensive to replace if I damage them with a jack. I've seen people jacking these cars up from the front, but the tech told me that it's not advisable.

Thanks
Sponsored

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No need to go to the dealer for this. It is very simple and takes no time. Most often it is in the front brakes. More specifically it gets stuck between the heat sheild and Disc (not in the red caliper). Stop the car, stick in your finger and puch the heat shield gently in thorwards the car (if your sitting in front of the wheel push the shield in thorwards thechassie). I would suggest to push in maximum a 1/4" only and the pebbles/ rocks will fall out.

Only thing you can do later is to try avoid riding on rocks and pebbles hehe =P

OP
OP
greggers70

greggers70

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
No need to go to the dealer for this. It is very simple and takes no time. Most often it is in the front brakes. More specifically it gets stuck between the heat sheild and Disc (not in the red caliper). Stop the car, stick in your finger and puch the heat shield gently in thorwards the car (if your sitting in front of the wheel push the shield in thorwards thechassie). I would suggest to push in maximum a 1/4" only and the pebbles/ rocks will fall out.

Only thing you can do later is to try avoid riding on rocks and pebbles hehe =P
Hi Wassen,

They didn't find anything stuck in between the rotor and shield. The pebbles were actually lodged in the caliper. He had to take of the front wheels and pry them out with a small flat head screw driver.

Unfortunately loose pavement is a problem here in NJ, particularly on side roads where I live, the pebbles just bash away at the wheel arch even driving very slow.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
No solution for your issue if you frequent gravel roads... other than buy a truck. These calipers are the easiest to work on in my opinion. Familiarize yourself with em and just clean them out regularly.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I had it once . Brakes making funny noises . Took it out for a drive , slam the brake at 80mph to dead stop . Noise gone .

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Step 1....remove the decent brembo brakes, step 2....remove the backing plate, step 3....install better brakes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stones/pebbles lodged in Brembo calipers Civic Type R 0503181803

Honda Civic 10th gen Stones/pebbles lodged in Brembo calipers Civic Type R 0503181747