Stolen License Plate

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
My bf Rav4 had its license plate stolen...most likely at work but we aren't positive. I know the plate was on the night before because we took it to the grocery store. Anyhow, since we dont know where it was stolen i want to take precautions and prevent it from happening to mine.
We've been trying to file a police report and its taking all day. Not only that we'll have to pay for replacement plates and spending a day at DMV which I dont want to do.
What do you guys have on your civic plates to prevent theft? I'm posting here because I have a civic...it just so happened that the Rav4 plates were stolen and not mine.
Sponsored

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
My bf Rav4 had its license plate stolen...most likely at work but we aren't positive. I know the plate was on the night before because we took it to the grocery store. Anyhow, since we dont know where it was stolen i want to take precautions and prevent it from happening to mine.
We've been trying to file a police report and its taking all day. Not only that we'll have to pay for replacement plates and spending a day at DMV which I dont want to do.
What do you guys have on your civic plates to prevent theft? I'm posting here because I have a civic...it just so happened that the Rav4 plates were stolen and not mine.
best advice i can give you is get a 4 bolt holder and instead of using a phillips screw maybe you can find a different not very well known screw... maybe get a hex or diamond shaped screw, but then again if you have some cool vanity plate the theif WILL and can steal it regardless but this option would probably slow him down! goodluck

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made a thread about people taking pics of my vanity plate a while back (I've seen it happen frequently) - this makes me worry now...

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
best advice i can give you is get a 4 bolt holder and instead of using a phillips screw maybe you can find a different not very well known screw... maybe get a hex or diamond shaped screw, but then again if you have some cool vanity plate the theif WILL and can steal it regardless but this option would probably slow him down! goodluck
thanks!

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Use tamper resistant screws - security torx is a lot harder for them to get out...

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-License-Security-Tamper-Screws/dp/B00KDSJARS
'Thanks! the bf took a stroll in his parking lot at work and sure enough he found his two screws laying where he last parked. I had a rental (Chrysler) and had been bugging him to let me drive his car and he could drive the rental but he refused. so when we found out his plate was stolen i laughed and said to him "dont you wish you took the rental that day?" LOL
But thanks again. I"ll be 2 sets!

oh...lastly...can i still use it with my current license plate frame? only difference would be the type of screws used, correct?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
oh...lastly...can i still use it with my current license plate frame? only difference would be the type of screws used, correct?
You could if they have 4 holes, a lot of frames are just 2 holes and skip using the other 2... I've seen many dealer installed frames with just 2 screws and changed those for 4 screw frames. Might want to check on the screw size/thread just to be sure you're getting the right set.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
You could if they have 4 holes, a lot of frames are just 2 holes and skip using the other 2... I've seen many dealer installed frames with just 2 screws and changed those for 4 screw frames. Might want to check on the screw size/thread just to be sure you're getting the right set.
thanks!

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
If someone wanted to steal my plates, I'm not sure having more difficult measures would do any good. Maybe they'll just screw up my car in the process of stealing them. At least with simple philips screws, they can just take it without damaging the car. As long as you file a police report soon, whatever crime they do with your plate is not on you.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
If someone wanted to steal my plates, I'm not sure having more difficult measures would do any good. Maybe they'll just screw up my car in the process of stealing them. At least with simple philips screws, they can just take it without damaging the car. As long as you file a police report soon, whatever crime they do with your plate is not on you.
I agree, however it'll cost me money to replace my plates and waste my time at DMV.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
My wife's plates were stolen off her vehicle a few months ago in her work parking lot. Filed a report, cost $20 for a replacement at the DMV. The tags on our vehicles are bolted on now.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
My wife's plates were stolen off her vehicle a few months ago in her work parking lot. Filed a report, cost $20 for a replacement at the DMV. The tags on our vehicles are bolted on now.
Haven't went to dmv yet. The bf will go Tuesday. Hopefully he'll only pay $20 too

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Haven't went to dmv yet. The bf will go Tuesday. Hopefully he'll only pay $20 too
It should just be about $20, depending on your state license costs. Make sure he puts them on with bolts and nuts. Then you guys won't have to worry about it again. Might have to remove a panel or cover for access, but worth the extra 10-20 minutes in the long run.

Good luck.
Sponsored