Stolen airbags story

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Airbags are a thing of the past. I remember tape players and especially airbags were stolen back when dinosaurs were around. Nowadays, it's practically impossible to get away with very little benefit.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have seen a thread or two on these forums with people who have been victims of this type of theft. I still think its strange.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really though, who is buying a stolen airbag? I doubt they are taking the time to remove it properly.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I love how they include a how-to infographic for any aspiring thieves.
Thank god for that infographic! I only made it to Step C with the last 5 cars I broke into. My wife and I were getting into constant arguments on what to do with all those stolen air bags in our living room. We never thought that Step D was to sell it...

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Really though, who is buying a stolen airbag? I doubt they are taking the time to remove it properly.
Anyone who had an airbag go off but never reported it and just want it fixed so they can sell the car.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Shady repair operations. They buy the airbag for $50 and bill the insurance company $1000 for a new one.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shady repair operations. They buy the airbag for $50 and bill the insurance company $1000 for a new one.
This. And the areas where they're being reporting stolen - major metros - have a metric fuckton of shady repair shops spread around.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
With all the tech these days they need to add GPS tracking to the wheels and any other sought after part. If it’s stolen you can look on your phone and see the location. Or alarms that sound when the lugnuts are loosened.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Wait, the thieves can rip out the airbag without tripping the alarm? :confused1:
It probably does trip the alarm. But that stops honking the horn 30-seconds later, well after they've run away with the airbag.

It's easier to prevent the whole car getting stolen that someone ripping out a single part.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Anyone who had an airbag go off but never reported it and just want it fixed so they can sell the car.
These days it doesn't matter if the airbag is visibly there. Once the airbag deploys the SRS unit has a permanent code until the SRS unit is replaced.

Good luck to thieves trying to get the SRS unit, it's buried under the dash.
Sponsored