First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Yeah, cheapest one there was :banghead:

Anyone strongly advise against driving to the dealer without an airbag? I really don't want to have it towed.
Personally I would drive it there if I didn't have AAA or Honda roadside service. Unless it requires some highway mileage then maybe not
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jayz.91

Jayz.91

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring
Country flag
Personally I would drive it there if I didn't have AAA or Honda roadside service. Unless it requires some highway mileage then maybe not
Highway's one way to get there, but I don't have to. I might just take it myself then.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, cheapest one there was :banghead:

I'm sorry, $1600 a year? I have Statefarm too, and I pay about $950 every 6 mo, which comes out to $1900 a year. You're making me jealous.

Does anyone strongly advise against driving to the dealer without an airbag? I really don't want to have it towed.
lol well don't be too jealous it's because we have multiple cars on the account as well as our house so it does help. Before when I got quoted on my own with no multi-car or safe driver discount, they wanted $2500 a year.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Highway's one way to get there, but I don't have to. I might just take it myself then.
If there are back roads I would stick to those. It's still not ideal and Im sure someone would give you flak for it. But it seems like it would be a hefty towing fee on top of your deductible. So just drive safe, slow and possibly put your hazards on so people keep their distance.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Terrible situation man, sorry. There's a lot of scumbags out there. Hopefully a replacement isn't too costly.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
My understanding (per the dealership) is that airbags are very expensive, and thieves can probably make a good amount of cash from selling them on the black market.
Whoever did it did a damn good job cause there was no sign of forced entry, just all my windows were somehow lowered about an inch and a half.
Wonder if the bad guys were using some kind of electronic keyless entry hack.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Airbags are expensive so they get stolen & sold to shops. Sometimes in a collision accident & car gets totaled because the airbags went off & cost a lot to replace.

I've heard of pickup truck tailgates getting stolen for the same reason.

Years ago someone cut the catalytic convertor off my daughter's car while it was parked in the street. The thieves get money for turning these in to the recyclers.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same reason people steal brass and copper from businesses and abandoned buildings. Free money. If you still have the honda roadside, you can have them tow it but driving it there isn't going to make a difference. Same as if you had just put in an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag.

Hopefully it won't be too bad. I have $500 collision and comprehensive and paying $1600 a year through Statefarm for a 2020 Sport touring model. Not the cheapest but I'm more willing to lay down $500 if something happens. Next year when my premium gets lowered I'll probably drop it down to $250 for each deductible.
Your premiums go down? I am 40 and over the past 5 years the premiums have started going up instead of down and I was accident and ticket free for 20 years. When you call the companies they use the excuse that you have to pay for everyone else's accidents in your area.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Not to turn it into an insurance premium pissing contest, but I only pay $350/6mo for a $500 Collision and $100 Comprehensive deductible with a good amount of other coverage through progressive.

You guys are getting fleeced!

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not to turn it into an insurance premium pissing contest, but I only pay $350/6mo for a $500 Collision and $100 Comprehensive deductible with a good amount of other coverage through progressive.

I don't think so. I imagine rates vary based on which state you live in as well as your age. For me, I got quotes from progressive, statefarm, and Allstate. All of them were over $2000 a year for the sport touring model because I haven't hit the magic age of 30 yet.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

i agree with you on this man, unless you guys are in the 18-29 range then i understand why insurance costs are so high.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Shit, that's a bummer. I live in LA too. Guess it's time to start using my locking steering wheel club.

IMG_0816.JPG
The Club is only good to beat the thief with. They just saw through the steering wheel and remove The Club and take your car anyway.

Last edited:

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
This is the second time I've heard about this but I still can't wrap my head around it. Are airbags that desirable/valuable to be the target of theft? What the hell do you do with a stolen airbag??
An airbag today is $3000 or more ($809?? Does it even work? lol). They steal them, sell them to shitty shops that replace blown bags with stolen ones; charge the insurance for a new one and no one knows any better. In the picture the OP posted, they didn't even attempt to disconnect it - they just snipped the wire and took it, so if you get a repair and airbag replacement, you could check to see if it's snipped and soldered, I guess. I can't see a legitimate replacement not being 100% intact.

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
i agree with you on this man, unless you guys are in the 18-29 range then i understand why insurance costs are so high.
I was 29 when I got my Si, same rates the last 4 renewals since.

An airbag today is $3000 or more. They steal them, sell them to shitty shops that replace blown bags with stolen ones; charge the insurance for a new one and no one knows any better. In the picture the OP posted, they didn't even attempt to disconnect it - they just snipped the wire and took it, so if you get a repair and airbag replacement, you could check to see if it's snipped and soldered, I guess. I can't see a legitimate replacement not being 100% intact.
The steering wheel airbag MSRP is $809, and is only $568 at HondaPartsNow.

Maybe some cars have airbags that are multi-thousands but the airbags on these civics are not that expensive, especially the easy to access steering wheel unit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stolen airbag from my 2018 Hatch :( Screenshot_20200305-071525

I suppose it doesn't really matter that it's only $600, people are chopping the cats out from under cars where the cat is only a few hundred dollars to replace.

Makes me glad that on the 1.5T the cat is in the downpipe and pretty much impossible to steal.

OP
OP
Jayz.91

Jayz.91

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring
Country flag
Man I was searching for like 2 hrs to find the part number for that :rofl: Was trying to see if it was cheaper for me to order it than through the dealer. Dropped off the car yesterday, oh well.

Anyone know if the Type-R version will fit an LX?
Sponsored