Stock Wheels Suck

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag

BOOSTFAN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, MX5, TVR Griff 500.
Country flag
First & only mod I have done to the car. I had 18'' & 40 series Michelins tyres ready to go as soon as I got the car home.
No need to worry about bending a wheel or punctures, plus the Michelins last at least twice as long as the Contis.
Very rare to do this in the UK, maybe its an age thing, most younger buyers are more bothered about looks & perceived performance rather than practicality & longevity.
Honda Civic 10th gen Stock Wheels Suck IMG_0512

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Here’s a video about those 20” wheels being dangerous also.
Being dangerous? Drive better.

I've know people to bend wheels on 18s with a 45 sidewall. It's not a wheel problem, it's a you problem.

This video is nothing but a pointless vlog parroting the thoughts of other popular opinions.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The stock tires are only dangerous in cold weather due to their nature as summers. The stock setup is just inconvenient on poor pavement conditions. That's a better way to look at it IMO. How much of an inconvenience is dependent on you and your opinion.

Changing out for an 18" setup with longer lasting tires for daily duties might be the fit for you, or you might want the extra bit of handling keeping it stock. 18" will make life a bit easier, as you can worry a little less about potholes- but they are always going to be a threat so don't take 18" wheels as be all end all solution. Plenty of members here have swapped for 18", myself included, but plenty also keep the stock 20" tires on and once we get past winter mine will probably go back on as well for some fun in the summer.

Make sure you keep your tires fully inflated during the colder months with either solution- every 10 degrees F can decrease your tire pressure by 1 PSI I believe. Under inflated tires, especially the stock rubber bands, offer less protection for your rims.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
The stock tires are only dangerous in cold weather due to their nature as summers. The stock setup is just inconvenient on poor pavement conditions. That's a better way to look at it IMO. How much of an inconvenience is dependent on you and your opinion.

Changing out for an 18" setup with longer lasting tires for daily duties might be the fit for you, or you might want the extra bit of handling keeping it stock. 18" will make life a bit easier, as you can worry a little less about potholes- but they are always going to be a threat so don't take 18" wheels as be all end all solution. Plenty of members here have swapped for 18", myself included, but plenty also keep the stock 20" tires on and once we get past winter mine will probably go back on as well for some fun in the summer.

Make sure you keep your tires fully inflated during the colder months with either solution- every 10 degrees F can decrease your tire pressure by 1 PSI I believe. Under inflated tires, especially the stock rubber bands, offer less protection for your rims.
This is probably the best answer. It's mostly a common sense issue.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I agree that 18” or 19” wheels (40 or 35 aspect) are more practical but there are places that can repair your rims for far less than the replacement price.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hit the nail right on the head ? roads here are terrible. The weather fluctuates so much that they fix the same holes every year they just get bigger and bigger until the road is redone. I feel like with all the technology out there, someone has to have come up with a material that has similar properties minus being so affected by temperature swings...
There are better road building methods and materials. Just like you can make an incandescent light bulb that never wears out. But making a better road is just like making a longer lasting light bulb; it one way to put yourself out of business.

Tell a politician, we can fix your pot holes for a thousand dollars, or we can fix your road so it doesn't get potholes for ten times that. Guess what choice they are going to make?

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I bought a wheel and tire warranty (already paid for itself this summer). Once that is spent, I'll ditch the stock wheels, but as long as the warranty company is footing the bill for repairs, I'll stick with that factory feel.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
I bought a wheel and tire warranty (already paid for itself this summer). Once that is spent, I'll ditch the stock wheels, but as long as the warranty company is footing the bill for repairs, I'll stick with that factory feel.
Same here.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Looking at going to a 245/35-20, it seems these tires are a full 1 inch bigger in diameter. Would certainly help with potholes but would raise the car by 1/2 inch, and look kinda goofy. I would also suspect they rub somewhere.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Going with 18s is cheaper long term, better on the track, better on the street, the 20s look cool, but i found on track they would persistently roll over on the sidewall at basically any pressure.

On poor roads the 20s aren't so obnoxious if you run a 35 on them, but that is even worse on the track. Although they never rubbed, just rolled over onto the sidewall during hard corners.

I didn't think of it as the wheels sucking, but I guess I wouldn't have spent 2500 bucks on two new sets of wheels for the car if they were good.
Sponsored