First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Am I the only person in the world that the stock wheel and tire set up on the R is the best?
Not sure about the R, but as far as non R trims go, I think the Si stock wheels are the nicest looking 18” wheels on the planet.
Sponsored

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
The stock wheels and offset fit the silliness of the CTR.

I ran the stock wheels last summer and an 18 in set up for winter. I’m considering a second set of aftermarket wheels once the original tires wear out.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Lighter wheels are easier on the drivetrain. Accelerate quicker, stop quicker and handle better.
Less rotational mass less unsprung weight. If you've ever ridden a motorcycle with light weight
wheels you know exactly what I mean. Completely changes your riding style. You dive deeper into the turn and exit much quicker. Same applies to cars. That said I LOVE the look of the CTR and 2020 Si wheels Honda nailed it on style. Honda didn't choose to use anchors as wheels it all boils down to cost.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
If my rims/wheels are still fine when my stock Contis wear out, I’ll stick with 20” wheels but go with Michelin PS4 tires. If the stock rims get damaged before that, I‘ll consider NSX 19” wheels and 19” PS4s. So far, the stock wheels and tires have been fine.

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
the stock wheels look alright, the weight and size being drawbacks.

The conti tires are pretty damn grippy but tread life is atrocious. Also a very thin tire as noted above.

Tons of great looking aftermarket wheel options with a more comfortable ride and better tread life to boot

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
I would agree with you if you’re referring to the LE OEM wheels/Sport Cup 2 tires.
They look very nice and drive great, until they get shredded, rolled, and delaminated. I was one of the biggest believers in the OEM setup (20x8.5 with 245/30R20 tires). I thought Honda broke Nurburgring and Suzuka records on this configuration for a reason. I tried to delude myself that putting enough tire pressure would work.

But it doesn't.

This is what happened to the Cup 2 tires on LE wheels driving mountain roads.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/michelin-cup-2-shredded-and-rolled.66797/

And this is what happened to the Cup 2 tires after 3 mountain runs and 3 track days (last one I couldn't finish because of this). Both fronts got shredded, but the left one much more so. Thank God it didn't blow up on me in that track session. The left tire looked fine with zero signs it was about to get murdered before that track session. And I had alignment done at the Honda dealer. That wheel has 1.47 negative camber and 0.03 toe, within OEM specs. It had the OEM recommended 35 psi cold pressure, and after the session, it was 43 psi hot. So this absolutely has nothing to do with under-inflation. It got murdered like what happened to so many others.

Left:

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock wheels are the best shredded_cup2_1

Right:

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock wheels are the best shredded_cup2_2

Bottom line, they look good. They drive well. But if you're driving hot or doing track days, be prepared to change them very often. Like may be every couple of months and risk catastrophic failure.

I have FINALLY given up on this setup. I'll most likely go with 18x9.5 with 265/35R18.

I will post more info on this in the Track Junkie thread.

Last edited:

CWNole95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW FL5 #775, '23 SGP FL5 #10771, 2005 NFR S2K
Country flag
They look very nice and drive great, until they get shredded, rolled, and delaminated. I was one of the biggest believers in the OEM setup (20x8.5 with 245/30R20 tires). I thought Honda broke Nurburgring and Suzuka records on this configuration for a reason. I tried to delude myself that putting enough tire pressure would work.

But it doesn't.

This is what happened to the Cup 2 tires on LE wheels driving mountain roads.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/michelin-cup-2-shredded-and-rolled.66797/

And this is what happened to the Cup 2 tires after 3 mountain runs and 3 track days (last one I couldn't finish because of this). Both fronts got shredded, but the left one much more so. Thank God it didn't blow up on me in that track session. The left tire looked fine with zero signs it was about to get murdered before that track session. And I had alignment done at the Honda dealer. That wheel has 1.47 negative camber and 0.03 toe, within OEM specs. It had the OEM recommended 35 psi cold pressure, and after the session, it was 43 psi hot. So this absolutely has nothing to do with under-inflation. It got murdered like what happened to so many others.

Left:

shredded_cup2_1.jpg

Right:

shredded_cup2_2.jpg

Bottom line, they look good. They drive well. But if you're driving hot or doing track days, be prepared to change them very often. Like may be every couple of months and risk catastrophic failure.

I have FINALLY given up on this setup. I'll most likely go with 18x9.5 with 265/35R18.

I will post more info on this in the Track Junkie thread.
Truthfully, if I am seriously track driving (I road raced in a Honda series for years back in the 2000s), I would absolutely not even consider this setup. You’ll get no argument from me on that front.