Stock Type R tires only last 9,000 miles?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Planning to swap to my DWS 06 in probably a few weeks, monitoring the temperatures and waiting to see them drop into consistently cold temperatures. Not too much longer... that extra sidewall is gonna help when the roads implode.
Sponsored

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I got 3000 miles out of mine, or more accurately out of my fronts. Figured I'd rotate them after my first track day in the car, but destroyed the front shoulders in two sessions and that was that. Even if the shoulders hadn't chunked, they are basically on the wear bars anyway. Rears are in decent shape though! :). Some might say I was over-driving, and perhaps I was, but I was only three tenths off the pace of my buddy in a 981 Cayman S, so that was good anyway. I doubt chasing him helped longevity, however.

I truly don't understand how C&D got 9k miles out of theirs without rotating. If they did any track testing on that particular set of tires, they'd have been gone well before that. Sometimes I think we don't get the full story. Just running through cloverleafs and roundabouts that I live by, there was wear halfway down the sidewall. And I'm running them a few pounds above the factory spec. Other than outright grip, of which they have a ton, it's just not a very good tire. Or I'm not driving right. Maybe both.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They don't offer as much grip as the OE tires.
The sport contacts this comes with are garbage. So that's not saying much. Decent grip for the first few thousand miles (as long as it's not wet) but after the first rotation and some miles it's all gone. Not to mention they wear out super fast, I could never recommend them to anyone.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The sport contacts this comes with are garbage. So that's not saying much. Decent grip for the first few thousand miles (as long as it's not wet) but after the first rotation and some miles it's all gone. Not to mention they wear out super fast, I could never recommend them to anyone.
I got decent wet traction in the OE tires. They were on par with what I have now (the PS AS3+) but much better than the Nitto NeoGen that I had before in wet weather (the NeoGen were kind of trash in just about any weather unfortunately).

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I got 3000 miles out of mine, or more accurately out of my fronts. Figured I'd rotate them after my first track day in the car, but destroyed the front shoulders in two sessions and that was that. Even if the shoulders hadn't chunked, they are basically on the wear bars anyway. Rears are in decent shape though! :). Some might say I was over-driving, and perhaps I was, but I was only three tenths off the pace of my buddy in a 981 Cayman S, so that was good anyway. I doubt chasing him helped longevity, however.

I truly don't understand how C&D got 9k miles out of theirs without rotating. If they did any track testing on that particular set of tires, they'd have been gone well before that. Sometimes I think we don't get the full story. Just running through cloverleafs and roundabouts that I live by, there was wear halfway down the sidewall. And I'm running them a few pounds above the factory spec. Other than outright grip, of which they have a ton, it's just not a very good tire. Or I'm not driving right. Maybe both.
I got ~3500 miles out of my front right before it chunked during my 2nd track session. Both fronts are pretty close to the wear bars in the center of the tread also (from overinflating the fronts to avoid sidewall rollover on track).

The stock Contis have decent grip but are just trash on the track. They get thermally shocked way too easily and the treadblocks and sidewall shoulders just melt away with any sort of prolonged high speed use.
Sponsored