First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I am thinking about doing the TNiA event later this year. Whats the minimum I need for the car to do it? Stock pads/fluid will hold up? Do I need to get the tow hook situation sorted? Factory fill 0W20 will survive?

I'll probably do my first oil change after that. And I am planning to just run on the factory Contis since I won't use them for anything else.

Any ideas are appreciated....
Sponsored

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
minimum necessary? probably nothing. just need some blue painter's tape and a favorite 2 digit number (preferrably without 2,5, 6, 8, or 9)

Be sure to watch your engine temps. Even if you don't technically overheat and go into limp mode, I think like basically all modern OEM cars are a little sketch on the oil temps. I think most motor oil starts breaking down around 260F, which is well below limp. On a 20 min session I think it's prudent to take one cooldown lap in the middle (or like 80% of a cooldown lap so you can get the run up to the last turn and not spoil the next lap time). Note cooldown lap does not mean slow as F and boring. It means no slogging the engine, you can take turns plenty fast still.

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah I think I'd do my normal thing for track day, I just drive between 70% and 90% in the 20 mins....

Any other way to monitor temp other than dummy gauges?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
yeah I think I'd do my normal thing for track day, I just drive between 70% and 90% in the 20 mins....

Any other way to monitor temp other than dummy gauges?
Oh I thought you were asking as a first timer. Dunno if stock form takes up to serious driving.

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I won't be doing any serious driving, I've done like 4 track days in the last 4 years lol. I've mostly stuck to autocrosses. The plan is just to have fun with the stock car before the season is out in the midwest and try take advantage of the fact that the car is probably better at that than the GTI is. My MO at track day mostly is just to work up to my limit and try not to get too worked up in a session.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Going to Gingerman? Depending on experience level (and yours sounds pretty low) stock should be ok. Watch your temp guages, your mirrors and keep the ego in check. One great motivator of keeping it safe is the reminder of having to drive home in the same car you track. Seen many folks do silly things over the years.. mostly run out of talent or luck ;)

Have fun!

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going to Gingerman? Depending on experience level (and yours sounds pretty low) stock should be ok. Watch your temp guages, your mirrors and keep the ego in check. One great motivator of keeping it safe is the reminder of having to drive home in the same car you track. Seen many folks do silly things over the years.. mostly run out of talent or luck ;)

Have fun!
Yep Gingerman, it'll be my first planned any kind of performance driving outing with the new car so its mainly meant to serve as some kind of acclimatization thing. This is like my first time to Gingerman in 6 years so plenty to be rusty about too.

the fear of financial ruin and personal harm is a great motivator not to be an idiot with a DD....:D

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Yep Gingerman, it'll be my first planned any kind of performance driving outing with the new car so its mainly meant to serve as some kind of acclimatization thing. This is like my first time to Gingerman in 6 years so plenty to be rusty about too.

the fear of financial ruin and personal harm is a great motivator not to be an idiot with a DD....:D
Yeah, my fear is too great, I usually go with track insurance even though it is pricey.

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, my fear is too great, I usually go with track insurance even though it is pricey.
Bought that too, with the Hagerty deal going on with TNiA I was able to get entry for $100 and insurance for $132 with a relatively high deductible. But still obviously less than buying a new car....

TNiA obviously doesn't have as much track time as a full day thing but 3 20min session should get it started for that first hit....lol

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I boiled the stock brake fluid and ate up the rear pads in two sessions @ Gingerman in the spring. That track is hard on brakes. Went with RBF600 and Hawk race pads for Gridlife (same setup as Johnny had in the spring) and had no issues once the pads were bedded in.

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok I might either get a carbotech setup for the car and just hang on to them(1521 for street, XPs for track on the same rotors) or I might end up buying Johnny's setup. I have ATE Type 200 that I can flush the system with so fluid front is ok.

What tires did you use?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
RE-71R's. Literally the first time I had ever run RE-71R's.

BTW, Hawk has just discontinued the Street/Race compound (used on the rear). I'm going to try Carbotech or g-Loc (more-or-less the same compounds supposedly) next.

OP
OP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So Gingerman TNiA was yesterday and it was pretty fun. I ended up buying all of Johnny Rose's parts from his CTR that he is selling. So I flushed my fluid with ATE Type 200 and ran his spare front rotors used with DTC60 pads and left the rear stock. Ran 3 sessions with TNiA in Intermediate group. Car was easy to drive and never had any brake issues. Stock Continentals seems pretty ok with the abuse though not sure if the laptimes were anywhere near anyone running 200TWs. I would push 95% for maybe 3-laps and would notice the water temp gauge would move from the normal below center position to above center and I would back off for a lap or so and it'll go back down. Never felt the car pull power or anything. Using the auto revmatch is pretty cool. Felt like cheating, lol. This was the first time I hit the track in 4 years I think and 5 years since I last went to Gingerman in my older MK6 GTI. Had a pretty fun time.
Sponsored