Stock Tires, how many miles did you get?

dennis885

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
Curious how many miles I can expect to get out of the stock tires on my 2019 Civic Si. Goodyear Eagle AS

I have a 3 year lease and sort of expected that I’ll have to replace them. I checked the specs today and saw a 560 tread rating, so I’m optimistic now that I won’t have too. They only need 4/32” to be considered OK.

Just thinking ahead, thanks!
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
The tires last your entire lease phase. Just don’t expect great performance on them. For being a ultra high performance all season tire, they have pretty bad wet traction to the point it’s dangerous to drive in moderate rain or fairly wet roads. I had my tires for around 25k miles till one of them popped from a nail. Still had over half of the tread on them. I replaced them with a different set because I didn’t want to be put in danger. These tires are also stock on mustangs. It’s a wonder why we see them get wreaked all the time. The more you know ?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Replaced the stock FT-140s at like 44k after sidewall dry rotting on all 4 tires, and having multiple flats in same week. Just got sick of 'em, stock tires aren't great to begin with but I'd never go with any Firestone again.

Tread was still at 5-6 32nds when I got rid of 'em, they did wear well.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I rarely drive it during winter.

I'm close to 40k/km and I think this is my last year with them.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Good tires are, ultimately, the cheapest life insurance you can buy. I personally won't run a tire much lower than 5/32", wet performance especially gets pretty hairy below that on most tires.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
The tires have pretty bad wet traction to the point it’s dangerous to drive in moderate rain or fairly wet roads. These tires are also stock on mustangs. It’s a wonder why we see them get wreaked all the time. The more you know ?
The stock tires are only dangerous if you drive like a Ass......hence all those Mustang videos you see.
Do you really think Honda would put dangerous tires on their vehicles that wouldn't handle in the rain?
If you drive like a Ass in the rain......then yeah they might be dangerous.

BTW.......all those Mustang videos are usually people leaving car meets with COLD tires........tires have to be warm to have good traction.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
The stock tires are only dangerous if you drive like a Ass......hence all those Mustang videos you see.
Do you really think Honda would put dangerous tires on their vehicles that wouldn't handle in the rain?

BTW.......all those Mustang videos are usually people leaving car meets with COLD tires........tires have to be warm to have good traction.
Well, idk if driving like ass involves having the car lose traction at 20mph with appropriate braking to prepare for a turn. I nearly wreaked my car from that severe understeer. It wasn’t a one off thing either. It happened many times after. The tread was perfectly fine. Only had 20k on them. After getting an unrepairable flat on one tires, I simply upgraded my tires to some pirelli p zero pz4’s. No traction problems ever since.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

Automakers worry about COST, they will put whatever tires they can get at a reasonable price, them spending more on a higher quality tire could be hundreds of dollars less profit per vehicle and automakers will do things to save 10 cents per car. Especially since tires are a wear item they are even less likely to put good tires on.

the FT140's are shit tires, I've been driving these roads for well over a decade in multiple different honda's and other cars, EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR/TRUCK/SUV handled better in the rain then this car, but you get dry pavement and you are solid, the FT140's just have shit wet traction once they aren't new and are downright dangerous by 5/32's, i've had multiple occurences in this car unlike any of the other cars I have driven, when it rains I must slow down far more then I have in any other vehicle.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Automakers worry about COST, they will put whatever tires they can get at a reasonable price, them spending more on a higher quality tire could be hundreds of dollars less profit per vehicle and automakers will do things to save 10 cents per car. Especially since tires are a wear item they are even less likely to put good tires on.

the FT140's are shit tires, I've been driving these roads for well over a decade in multiple different honda's and other cars, EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR/TRUCK/SUV handled better in the rain then this car, but you get dry pavement and you are solid, the FT140's just have shit wet traction once they aren't new and are downright dangerous by 5/32's, i've had multiple occurences in this car unlike any of the other cars I have driven, when it rains I must slow down far more then I have in any other vehicle.
I think you are misinterpreting the stock tires that come on the si. The stocks for si are Goodyear eagle sports. The ft140’s are for the civic lx.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
As far as costs, si is advertised as a sports car. It better perform like one. Honda failed on the tire aspect of it. Your right about manufacturers being cheap wherever possible, but I wouldn’t really classify Goodyear as the cheapest option. They cost about $160(Tire rack) a piece. My new tires I put cost basically the same same and performs much better considering the p zero pz4 are stock tires on some super cars. The argument can be made Honda getting a bulk discount with Goodyear. One odd thing I came across was the civic hatchback sport. The stock tires on that are the continental contiprocontacts. $206 (tire rack)a piece. More expensive than the si set. Price isn’t everything of course. That price is basically having the summer tire package installed by default for the si. The Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 costs about $200 according to discount tires. The tires Honda puts in our cars are not really considered cheap. Idk what price range is cheap or not, but I see it being high end

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Currently 30k on stock continentals but need new soon Florida roads tear up tires even doing highway driving. Looking at generals Gmax A05 all season. I understand they handle very well especially on the wet. Roads

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 sport touring, I got ~40k miles out of them. Bought the car new in June 2018. I got new tires after about a year and a half.
Sponsored