cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Well, I know my Z32 would run a 13.5-14.00 consistently with stock boost. My Civicx with a 19.5/21 basemap w/quicker spool and better throttle response is noticably quicker than stock but would not be as quick as my Z32 even at stock boost (though that might not be 100% fair as there's more done to the Z that just more boost). I've seen a few YouTube videos with reflashes putting a Civicx around a 14.25-14.5 w/a CVT, though it also had an intake. Perhaps a 14-flat is possible.

0-60 times on a FWD car are never all that impressive. The SI runs a mid-6... pretty much just like how SIs have been running the last couple generations.

If you look at Vits blog, you can see how the Hondata and Ktuner maps don't do a great deal to 5000-6500... essentially nothing after 5800 RPM. Thats where you'd be staying after a launch running 1/4 mile. His Stage 1 basemap is a definitely improvement over the regular Hondata/Ktuner ones, but for any big power improvements up top, I'd say a tune is mandatory... or running E85 w/the ethanol sensor. Adding boost to this tiny turbo does help w/midrange power and torque drastically, but it chokes out at high RPM. Still... again, on Vits blog he makes impressive power on the stock turbo with an actual tune.

If you do a basemap reflash only and crack into the 13s, I would say you're a great driver.

In southeast GA... I'm pretty sure the closest strip to me is over 2 hours away so... yeah, it won't be me.

To me, the car shines on a twisty road, keeping revs between 3000-6000 RPM. I had to drive from SE GA to Atlanta the middle of last year. I ended up skipping I-95 and I-16 and cut across the state on county roads and state highways in my 9th gen SI. Looking forward to my next reason to do it in my 10th. Maybe I could get my old lady to go to a strip... I think there is one near Macon. Hell... she might out drive me, though she can't launch a car to save her life. She'd probably get a 3 sec 60 ft.
I'm in the northern part of the state (ATL) so I'm looking forward to stretching my Si's legs through the mountains when life returns to a new normal this Summer. I've done new tires (Michelin PS4S) and will do the 27WON Front Strut Tower Bar and maybe the Whiteline 22mm RSB but every time I think I want to do a CAI and TSP Stage 1 I read threads like this that make me think that a good tune and maybe intake is the limit for reasonable with this engine. It seems that after that you have to upgrade to say a CTR clutch retrofit that with install is close to $2500 if you go beyond a tune/bolt ons. Then you have to do a turbo upgrade to really get gain anything on the higher end of the revs, so you're now in another $2000 at least with labor. I dunno....

The first car I ever modified was my then brand new 2001 Honda Prelude. I did AEM CAI, AEM accessory pulleys, Mugen header & cat back exhaust, and Apexi VAFC (piggyback tune). All of that was probably around $5K almost 20 years ago and it shaved all of 0.5 seconds off of the 1/4 mile runs I made. I know turbos are different, of course, and make much easier power but it does remind me of how I learned a lesson at a young(er) age of wanting to make a car "fast" that really didn't have that capability unless you changed the car so dramatically that it really no longer resembled the car you bought.

My thinking is that upgrading the tires was/is the biggest practical feeling upgrade you can do on this car. The stock tires are garbage and the PS4S is a quantum leap in every performance metric. Maybe the younger guys plan on hanging onto their cars forever and have some mechanical know how but I'm definitely not one to go down the bigger turbo, upgraded clutch, ethanol mix, etc path with this car. Maybe I'm showing my age but I think it's plenty fun as-is if you're using it as a daily driver. If you're not using it as a daily driver.......well, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
After reading post on here and seeing other si with a flash only
It might be a waste of money to flash tune a car with out some major modifications the 6 psi boost is really not much better than my stock car
Have a friend with a 9 psi boost
Was planning to race his but unfortunately he lost his clutch
So if you do anything to get actual
Useable power you need a clutch
To start and probably a custom tune

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was looking at hondata and have
Not seen any information that would
Make me want it for just a tune with no mods have a 2018 coupe si stock
And my 0 to 60 is around 5.5 to 6
Stock with only k n filter any hondata tune on stock coupe doing any better
A blast from the past. That post was before I did anything to my car. About $5k later my car is totally different. A guy with a car like mine is now pulled out his passenger seats, put slicks on and went 12.6 seconds in the quarter. The first mod was a Ktuner. Slippery slope! :rofl:
Sponsored