Stock SI on Phearable 1.5 tune - what's the next move?

Falafelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys I've been feeling out my (completely stock) SI on the Phearable tune (23psi) and I'm loving it. I'm ready to add a bit more to the car, but I'm not sure what to go with next. I'm considering one of the three: Intercooler, Cold air intake, downpipe. I know the car is susceptible to heat soaking, and in southern CA the heat is rising and summer makes it hard to get decent IAT. My Kcon is down to around 50-70 depending how I drive which is nice, but my IAT hits about 120-145 and I don't like it. I'm not entirely sure if something like a PRL Cold air intake would help more than an intercooler would in the way of performance/cooling, or maybe even a down pipe? I'm a bit new to the significance of a down pipe, but I have a rough idea of how it helps - more air flow/etc.- but does that mean more cooling?

I'm still a bit of a novice so I'm not entirely sure as to what the best option would be or even if a Downpipe is worth getting right now, as I feel cooling is the top priority to keep the car and turbo performing at more efficient/better temps. Suggestions are welcome!

A bit off topic, would a rear sway bar help out much when doing mountain cruising (on stock wheels/suspension?)

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Intercooler is the best move. Intake next. Downpipe will help with power but do nothing for IATs.

And yes, a RSB upgrade makes the car handle so much better!

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si
Country flag
Have you done any hard pulls from a dig with the tune? Hows the clutch holding up?

I've been debating for the past 6 months on getting a ktuner but if the clutch is as fragile as glass I don't want to bother yet with 5k on the car.

OP
OP

Falafelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Intercooler is the best move. Intake next. Downpipe will help with power but do nothing for IATs.

And yes, a RSB upgrade makes the car handle so much better!
Yeah I was really hoping the CAI would be a better cooling option than it is - because.. you know.. the sound ... hrrngnggg, but yeah you can't compete with an intercooler for performance.

OP
OP

Falafelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Have you done any hard pulls from a dig with the tune? Hows the clutch holding up?

I've been debating for the past 6 months on getting a ktuner but if the clutch is as fragile as glass I don't want to bother yet with 5k on the car.
Alright so, backstory of my car - I purchased it used (no mods, stock), 2020 Si with 9k miles on it. I drove it for about a month or so, put about 1k miles on it, and then got the tuner. To be honest, I've only ever launched it 3 times so far, and probably will never be doing so again for the foreseeable future unless I buy a racing clutch/flywheel.

So far the clutch seems great, I don't pull from a dig ever, and I don't WOT unless I'm at around 2.5-3k RPM, and no WOT in high gear - low RPM's (like 6th gear 3k RPM). The thing about the turbo is that it's small and so you don't get THAT much power produced, but it also doesn't take a whole lot to spool it up. With the Phearable tune, if I'm in like 2nd/3rd or even 4th gear, I hit 23 PSI doing like 50% on the throttle (I'll note, the tune adds throttle sensitivity, so it's way more receptive). I've noticed that putting your foot to the floor doesn't really make that much of a difference when driving spiritedly in the city - or anywhere other than a track I'd assume, so I don't really ever do it, because I don't really ever need to.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Depends what your goals are. Street only, do nothing other than the tune. Your Kcon is where you would be losing the most. With that I would do the E85 sensor kit. If your tracking it, do the intercooler.

I've been back and forth on mods. Did the Phereable 1.5 and happy with it. Thought about an intercooler but I'll never track it since its just my beater. I'm running 94 octane, my Kcon never goes above 0.50 and with 91 octane around 0.55. My next jump will be @RV6 Turbo and a OEM short block with only BC Rods. Intakes/TIP seems the be the biggest waste of money under 350WHP

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Intercooler won’t help much with heat soak. A bigger intercooler just blocks more air to the already dinky radiator. I do track my 21’ CTR and I benefited more from a better radiator than my PRL Intercooler. I also added a oil cooler kit.

If you’re not tracking it, do intercooler, downpipe, front pipe, e85 kit. The turbo on these cars are small and limited.

Bigger turbo is always an option. But with that comes the possibility of better clutch and down the rabbit hole you go.

OP
OP

Falafelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Intercooler won’t help much with heat soak. A bigger intercooler just blocks more air to the already dinky radiator. I do track my 21’ CTR and I benefited more from a better radiator than my PRL Intercooler. I also added a oil cooler kit.

If you’re not tracking it, do intercooler, downpipe, front pipe, e85 kit. The turbo on these cars are small and limited.

Bigger turbo is always an option. But with that comes the possibility of better clutch and down the rabbit hole you go.
What does your IAT sit at when you're tracking it? I plan on doing casual tracking/autocross in the near future and I hate seeing 140degrees on normal days of driving, which is the main reason I wanted the intercooler after hearing it helped but now it seems like that idea is a 50/50. Are you saying I should potentially look at radiators?
Sponsored