Stock Si engine boost leak at 19,000 miles?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
The car is a 2019 Si coupe, has a bit over 19,000 miles. The only mods I've done are changing the Honda emblems to the red ones and adding footwell lighting. (No engine mods whatsoever and all service has been done at Honda dealerships)

I was driving home on the highway, not driving too hard and never coming even near redline and randomly I notice when going above 3000 RPM (normally where the boost kicks in) the car feels like it's not giving power and RPMs were hovering around there and I was like uhhh is my clutch gone or something? I drove pretty carefully on the way back home and could hear the turbo spinning really loudly (like a high pitched whine) a lot louder than normal and when the "blow off" noise happened it was a bit louder than normal (normally it's really quiet as you guys know).

I also switched the gauge in the gauge cluster to the turbo PSI one and noticed the car wouldn't go above like 9-10 PSI like it'd start stuttering around there and just not being able to hold boost. I know the car is still under warranty and will be taking it to the dealership as early as I can to get this sorted but I know they can be annoying about things at times and was wondering if you guys had any insight into what's going on so that I have a general idea before taking it in.

All comments/help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you wanted to check for it yourself just inspect all the couplers and hoses from intake to turbo inlet, turbo outlet to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body. Possible there's a leak somewhere there. But honestly if it's under warranty just let them deal with it.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should take it into the dealer. I remember my buddy @rhino was having a similar issue of not getting into boost and they did a factory ECU reflash and it resolved his issue. He also didn't have any engine mods or only a 27won CAI at the time.
yup it was rather odd tbh that a ecu flash fixed it

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
You should take it into the dealer. I remember my buddy @rhino was having a similar issue of not getting into boost and they did a factory ECU reflash and it resolved his issue. He also didn't have any engine mods or only a 27won CAI at the time.
I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and today they let me know that they found nothing wrong and scanned it and whatnot and weren't able to replicate the problem. I paid the $71 service fee since no warranty work was done and picked up the car. (I asked if I find that the problem isn't gone if the fee will be refunded and they said yes)

I took the car and the problem was still there. Still the high-pitched whining noise and still crappy power in the rev range where the boost is supposed to hit.

A few minutes before I reached home, every single light in my gauge cluster went off. Traction control, brake hold, hill assist, VSA, check engine, power steering, driving modes, all of them. Now I have to take the car back to fricking Honda tomorrow. So incompetent smh

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
If you wanted to check for it yourself just inspect all the couplers and hoses from intake to turbo inlet, turbo outlet to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body. Possible there's a leak somewhere there. But honestly if it's under warranty just let them deal with it.
Bro I took it in today and they gave it back, told me nothing was wrong, and charged me $71 for the service fee. On the way home I could still feel the lack of power and the intense whining noise above 3k RPM from the turbo. A few minutes later every single warning light in the gauge cluster popped up. Fricking dealership techs man...

Now I have to find time to take it back and get this all sorted with. Haven't had any good experiences with these dealerships techs even with past Hondas my fam has taken there smh

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Bro I took it in today and they gave it back, told me nothing was wrong, and charged me $71 for the service fee. On the way home I could still feel the lack of power and the intense whining noise above 3k RPM from the turbo. A few minutes later every single warning light in the gauge cluster popped up. Fricking dealership techs man...

Now I have to find time to take it back and get this all sorted with. Haven't had any good experiences with these dealerships techs even with past Hondas my fam has taken there smh
Is there any other Honda dealership in your area?

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
yup it was rather odd tbh that a ecu flash fixed it
I replied to the other guys on the thread but basically they told me nothing was wrong with my car, charged me $71 and then sent me home. On the way home I noticed the problem was still there and easily noticeable but what was even worse was that on the way home, after driving for a good 20-30 minutes, every single warning light came on in my dash ?‍♂

They even said they scanned it and whatnot at the dealership too smh but yeah so now I gotta take it back in and see if they'll actually do anything this time...

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replied to the other guys on the thread but basically they told me nothing was wrong with my car, charged me $71 and then sent me home. On the way home I noticed the problem was still there and easily noticeable but what was even worse was that on the way home, after driving for a good 20-30 minutes, every single warning light came on in my dash ?‍♂

They even said they scanned it and whatnot at the dealership too smh but yeah so now I gotta take it back in and see if they'll actually do anything this time...
damn sorry to hear that man when i was having issues with mine i told them i think its this can you check it and they said sure we will see. they told me they flashed it and went out on a drive and then it was fine now

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Is there any other Honda dealership in your area?
Yeah there are 2 others fairly close by but I have to go back to this one again now to get that dumb service fee refunded through the warranty smh

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
damn sorry to hear that man when i was having issues with mine i told them i think its this can you check it and they said sure we will see. they told me they flashed it and went out on a drive and then it was fine now
Did you have the exact same problem as me? If so I'll be sure to mention the ECU flash when I take it in, thanks for the help man
Sponsored