Stock Crystal Black Pearl Hatchback - 2 Weeks In - A Love Story

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
So I have had my Hatchback for two weeks now and I thought I would share my initial impressions. First a little back story.

My 2006 Pilot was starting to show signs of major repairs on the horizon so it was time to look for a replacement. I really thought I would end up with another SUV with a third row. I started shopping around and fell in love with the Mazda CX-9. So much so I got the financing and just needed the Mrs. to drive it and love it too. She did not.

So we went to a different Honda dealership(the one I went to previously didn't have any Pilots in stock)that had three of the trim we wanted listed in stock on their website. When we drove up they had just sold their last one! So as I walked away the salesman jokingly asked if we were interested in anything else, like the new Civic Hatch. I told him there was no way he had one. Low and behold they had just finished processing the first one in the state two hours before we drove up. So instead of a SUV I ended up the happy owner of a compact hatchback!

So on to my impressions.
Cons:
*There is a little wind noise coming from the drivers door. I am going to have that fixed.
*The owner's manual as well as the salesman said the volume rocker on the steering wheel had the ability to "slide" your thumb up or down the ridges to adjust the volume. It does not.

Pros:
Everything else.
*The handling is smooth and responsive. It is simply a blast to drive; even with the CVT. I am still getting used to it and find myself going much faster than I feel I am going. We took a drive up a nice winding road to the top of the Sandia's today and if it weren't for the truck in front of me I would have taken those curves much faster! Probably a good thing the truck was there as a Sheriff was parked on the side about half way up the mountain!!!
*Instrumentation/Controls - Everything is placed just where I would want it. The digital displays are clear and give me easy access to all of the information I could ever want. I wish I could change the color of the instrument panel but not enough that it ruins my experience! I really don't miss a volume knob as I am used to using the steering wheel controls. I like the touch display much more that the one in my wife's 2015 Camry. The pass through for the cables for your phone is a thoughtful design.
*Seats - Very comfortable and the two tone leather seats are beautiful to me. My 19, 16, and 10 year old are just fine in the back seat together on trips less than 20 minutes long. I wouldn't want to push them any further than that.
*The Hatch - I have a photography business on the side. All of my equipment fits easily in the back, including my C stands. I also packed up my son's Pugg soccer goals for practice and they fit just fine with the rear seats up. Lots of usable room here.
*Gas Milage - Even utilizing the turbo in Sport/Non Eco mode quite often I am still averaging close to 34 MPG.
*The looks - I find myself taking a closer look at all of the other hatchbacks on the road now. I love that Honda went with more of a fastback style than the more prominent squared off back I see on almost every other hatch. I love the lines and creases and spoilers and even the faux honeycomb vents.

My only wish is that the center dual exhaust would have been standard on all of the trim levels. I am happy to be part of the Civic family once again as the second vehicle we bought as a couple was a 1993 LX Sedan. I forgot how much fun these cars were to own and drive.

I have a few pics in my garage on this site. Nothing spectacular. http://www.civicx.com/garage/jedisrus.369/

Ask me any questions and I will try my best to give you timely answers.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Cons:
*The owner's manual as well as the salesman said the volume rocker on the steering wheel had the ability to "slide" your thumb up or down the ridges to adjust the volume. It does not.
It does, unless yours is broken. There is a setting for "Touch control" or whatever on steering wheel - make sure it's enabled.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Hatchbacks have LX trim?

Man with 3 different body styles in 2 (predominantly) different countries with different standard options it's getting very very hard to see who has what lol.

Fucking Honda and their Musical Features.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The OP's car isn't an LX, it's an Ex-L or better.

I believe the setting is called "enable audio gestures", or something similar.

@jedisrus
Great looking car BTW.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hatchbacks have LX trim?

Man with 3 different body styles in 2 (predominantly) different countries with different standard options it's getting very very hard to see who has what lol.

Fucking Honda and their Musical Features.
Your hatchbacks don't have LX? I think ours begins at LX then goes Sport, Ex, exl then sport touring later

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
In Canada the LX comes with the EX 16" wheels (best way to tell it apart) & upgraded infotainment
Ex comes with EX-T areo design wheels
No EX-L in Canada
Sport and sport touring I believe are the same in North America.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
In Canada the LX comes with the EX 16" wheels (best way to tell it apart) & upgraded infotainment
Ex comes with EX-T areo design wheels
No EX-L in Canada
Sport and sport touring I believe are the same in North America.
I thought the hatch didn't have an Ext since it's all turbo?

golobos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic
Congrats it looks awesome. We can be NM Civic Bros here in a few months once I finally decide what model/trim im gonna get.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
So today was the first time I noticed somebody checking out the car while I was driving. I am on the highway going 70 and a large truck is quickly gaining in my rear view. He signals to go into the passing lane and starts the transition. He abruptly pulls back into the lane behind me. The next thing I see in my rearview is a large grill and a guy with his phone pointed out his windshield taking pictures of my car. :/

And all I could think was that I hoped I didn't have to brake all of a sudden because there was no way he could react in time!
Sponsored