First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
Hello
I have a 2020 Civic Sport. I drive a lot, I did 30k miles in a year. I have been daily driving hondata +6psi base map for about 1.5 months and I started noticing slippage the other day. Flashed the car back to stock and it’s still slipping. Came to the realization that my clutch is at the end of its life. I am not a bad stick driver at all, if I can keep the little whispering voice telling me to go WOT outta my head. I’m definitely a spirited driver.

Bottom line is I need a new clutch. I want something that will hopefully last longer than the OEM clutch, and be able to handle higher horsepower than stock. Does anybody have a clutch that they have had a great experience with for hard daily driving/light track use that will last as long as possible? Let me know and thanks for your help
Sponsored

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I haven’t had it long but I’ve got the competition stage 2 and it’s holding tsp stage 1 just fine. After breaking it in, the pedal feel is pretty close to stock

OP
OP
ergoodfellow

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven’t had it long but I’ve got the competition stage 2 and it’s holding tsp stage 1 just fine. After breaking it in, the pedal feel is pretty close to stock
Is the competition clutch good for daily driving? My civic is a daily for me and I am looking for longevity that can support a little more power and hard driving

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is the competition clutch good for daily driving? My civic is a daily for me and I am looking for longevity that can support a little more power and hard driving
They're all easily dailyable. Comp is probably the stiffest. ACT is close to OEM and CTR retro is most like OE

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
breaking in the first couple hundred miles was a leg workout. im about 1k miles in and it’s easily daily. My civic is also my daily. The pedal is slightly stiffer between the clutch and the line, but easier to feel the engagement for smooth driving. Chatter is pretty much gone after the break in. The flywheel makes rev matching easier also. I also have the kzcmc

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i've had the ACT street clutch kit for the last 3500 miles or so. price being a factor it was by far cheaper than the retro R everyone seems adore. i paid $900 when it was on sale at map vs $1600+ of the retro R. comp came out shortly after i installed the ACT street kit. i added the kzcmc (3 week wait) and the prl stainless clutch line 'while i was in there'.

overall the act street is easy to daily and the pedal is a bit firmer than stock but still very enjoyable to drive through the city. i had some lockout issues but i resolved those by adjusting the acuity shifter i adjusted a bit too far over to the left. it's 100% awesome!

OP
OP
ergoodfellow

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
breaking in the first couple hundred miles was a leg workout. im about 1k miles in and it’s easily daily. My civic is also my daily. The pedal is slightly stiffer between the clutch and the line, but easier to feel the engagement for smooth driving. Chatter is pretty much gone after the break in. The flywheel makes rev matching easier also. I also have the kzcmc
Where did you get your stage 2 competition clutch from, also how is clutchmasters? Seems like a lot of their clutches are really cheap

Last edited:

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Where did you get your stage 2 competition clutch from, also how is clutchmasters? Seems like a lot of their clutches are really cheap
I ordered from prl for the clutch kit and line, they always have great service. I got the kzcmc from the only source
I don’t know much about clutchmasters first hand, but there seems to be a lot of negative feedback for them on this platform

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I would not recommend Clutch Masters. I am running an FX300 and an Aluminum Flywheel and have had many problems with it.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/headache-after-clutch-change.37647/

Even now I am having issues with my grab point changing. That aside though it isn't too bad but still would not recommend

Once I need a new clutch I will be upgrading to an ACT

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I would not recommend Clutch Masters. I am running an FX300 and an Aluminum Flywheel and have had many problems with it.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/headache-after-clutch-change.37647/

Even now I am having issues with my grab point changing. That aside though it isn't too bad but still would not recommend

Once I need a new clutch I will be upgrading to an ACT
Do you do a lot of stop and go driving? The FX300 is a kevlar type disk which can glaze pretty easily. I think thats why a lot of people have issues with their 300 and 350 series.

If anyone is to get clutch masters, I'd say either the fx400 with a ceramic (will have a shoter life span though) or the fx250.

OP
OP
ergoodfellow

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you do a lot of stop and go driving? The FX300 is a kevlar type disk which can glaze pretty easily. I think thats why a lot of people have issues with their 300 and 350 series.

If anyone is to get clutch masters, I'd say either the fx400 with a ceramic (will have a shoter life span though) or the fx250.
Yeah I do a lot of stop go driving. I’m trying to find something that bridges the gap between stop go daily driving and high hp and performance

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
The type r retrofit feels almost the same as stock, the pedal is ever so slightly stiffer. I'm not sure what the highest mileage type r is, but I'm certain it will have the same longevity even when pushing ~300whp/wtq (around stock r power) which is like the avg range of typical fbo+turbo/e30 builds with the 1.5

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah I do a lot of stop go driving. I’m trying to find something that bridges the gap between stop go daily driving and high hp and performance
Then your best bet is going to be either type r retro, ACT sprung organic or Competition Clutch stage 2. These are all organic faced and will have the best drivability and longevity compared to the ceramic puck type clutches

OP
OP
ergoodfellow

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chances are I’m going to go with the competition clutch stage 2. There are 2 options, light flywheel and ultralight flywheel. What would be best for my situation? Based off what I have read, light flywheel seems like the way to go for me.
Sponsored