Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
is this the airbox?! heat wrapped!
Yes, bottom/side closest to engine. DEI gold tape- easy to knock out in an evening after work. Still looks stock when you open the hood, from the top.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
It probably makes more sense to say that oil/wet filters allow easier flow of air by being worse filters. Some feel that the oil itself can mess up your MAF sensor as well (others disagree and simply say to not apply so much oil). PRL has 2 intakes, the high-volume intake (HVI) and their stage 1 drop in filter with inlet. The latter is an oiled filter for sure.

There are a couple dry filters that exist which do filter better than oiled, though I’m not sure how they filter against stock. They’re by AFE and AEM if memory serves. As far as power and sound is concerned, I wouldn’t expect much power from a drop in filter (if you get any power). Sound should be improved, but the key word there is should. Oiled drop in filters tend to sound better than dry. HVIs tend to sound the best. Most recommend a tune if using an HVI, granted some manufacturers do claim you don’t need one for their HVI.

Another note is to probably avoid the Mishimoto CAI for now since that’s known to heat soak. I remember them posting that they were revising the design (didn’t specify a reason).

I have the HVI and the filter is oiled on that too.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have the HVI and the filter is oiled on that too.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't actually sure whether it was or wasn't. Granted the HVI actually does make power though (granted a tune is recommended).

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the filters that come with the HVI and stage one are k&n filters. I know the stage one filter from k&n i picked up looks identical except it's red instead of blue.
Sponsored