Si Stock airbox modified for cold air.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
With the resonator removed, there are still two bolts that hold up the stock airbox.
I looked back at some pictures and realized that there is in fact a bracket that I had removed. I might be throwing back on the stock intake for a bit to compare, as I periodically feel like my CAI is making less power than the stock air box did
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I looked back at some pictures and realized that there is in fact a bracket that I had removed. I might be throwing back on the stock intake for a bit to compare, as I periodically feel like my CAI is making less power than the stock air box did
Which CAI?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Which CAI?
PRL Cobra. The only evidence that I have that something is off is admittedly pretty thin:

- I'm running slightly rich, with my post install Long Term Fuel Trims going from 0 to a consistent -3 to -5 at idle, I know that this is not dangerous - I'm more interested in why an intake with a larger diameter would seemingly result in less air getting through (based on the suddenly negative trims).

- From day one following my installation, I've felt a slight reduction in the immediacy of my acceleration. It feels almost like the car is now lugging at RPM's where it was previously happy at, and is slower to accelerate at RPM's where I'm hitting boost. This lugging feeling could be from the increased NVH that I'm feeling following my install rather than actual lugging, so I'm not sure.

- Every other Cobra CAI user seems to report a noticeable increase in power. How could I be the only one to feel to the contrary, unless something is off?

EDIT: I bit the bullet and e-mailed PRL on this. I hate bothering them again (especially after bugging them so much for my intercooler install), but I feel like I'm the only one not absolutely loving my Cobra CAI. I desperately want this to change, so if there's any possibility that I might've done something incorrectly during my install, I want to know.

Last edited:

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
I would not bother removing the resonator unless you want to free up space or reduce weight.
All I did was to put Black duct tape over the hole inside the airbox going to the resonator and now it's not part of the airbox air flow.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I would not bother removing the resonator unless you want to free up space or reduce weight.
All I did was to put Black duct tape over the hole inside the airbox going to the resonator and now it's not part of the airbox air flow.
For like structural integrity reasons? Are the two bolts not enough to hold it up without the resonator?

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the resonator in place, it would be impossible to run a tube from the bottom of the airbox to the cool air location; the resonator has to be removed for this mod.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a bit more on this mod over the weekend. Inspired by @maddmatt02 I cut holes in the fake vent to allow more air to pass through to the location from whence the intake is drawing air. I matched them up to the holes on the passenger side for the horn to keep things symmetrical (though I do need to go back with my Dremel and clean them up a bit).

Results are great! Even in city traffic I'm a few degrees closer to ambient than I was previously, and I've noticed that the temps drop significantly quicker once I start moving from a red light.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. IMG_20181006_115935935_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. IMG_20181006_115947808_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. IMG_20181006_160947777_HDR

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Did a bit more on this mod over the weekend. Inspired by @maddmatt02 I cut holes in the fake vent to allow more air to pass through to the location from whence the intake is drawing air. I matched them up to the holes on the passenger side for the horn to keep things symmetrical (though I do need to go back with my Dremel and clean them up a bit).

Results are great! Even in city traffic I'm a few degrees closer to ambient than I was previously, and I've noticed that the temps drop significantly quicker once I start moving from a red light.
Finally someone did this, nice. What I'd like to know, is there any way to actually run some ducting to further direct air to the problem areas from these fake vents. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything like this for a while myself considering I have a broken shoulder. Good job....looks great.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally someone did this, nice. What I'd like to know, is there any way to actually run some ducting to further direct air to the problem areas from these fake vents. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anything like this for a while myself considering I have a broken shoulder. Good job....looks great.
Thanks!

Yeah, the tube I have down there still has enough length left that if I wasn't lazy and popped off the splash guards I could optimally position it to be right at the new intakes holes. But, lazy. :D

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks!

Yeah, the tube I have down there still has enough length left that if I wasn't lazy and popped off the splash guards I could optimally position it to be right at the new intakes holes. But, lazy. :D
Do you know the overall length over that Spectre hose that you linked in your OP? Did you have to trim off any to fit it?

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you know the overall length over that Spectre hose that you linked in your OP? Did you have to trim off any to fit it?
I think it's a bit over two feet? I didn't have to cut any, though.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for posting. I was going to do this myself but that plastic is pretty darn thick. Started to try to cut holes in the piece I purchased but don't have the proper tools to do this safely.

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag

IMG_20181006_115935935_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_115947808_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_160947777_HDR.jpg
Just did this too. Thanks for the original post which made me start modding my stock intake. The hatchback sports box though is alittle different to work with because its not this nice big flat box. I also used smooth piping thinking it would help with smoothing out the air flow to get more cold air up there and also help with some more sound from the turbo. Sound wise i am alittle disappointed. I have stock filter so i hope that by buying stage prl stage one kit will help with alittle more sound or when i get a ktuner because of pushing more boost.

For anyone thinking about rain issues getting up in the box it rained again here in pa and i was driving 60mph and flooring it and when i got home i took filter out and nothing in the box or tube. When i looked in the vent in the bumper everything is wet like the other side for the horn but i angled the pipe away from the opening so it doesnt get a direct hit from the water.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. image