Stiff/Hard Brake Pedal During Startup

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The best way to test is to turn the car off and pump the brakes 3-4 times. If the pedal becomes firm, and remains firm, your condition is normal and can be attributed to the operation of the booster. If you're really worried about it, ask that an experienced mechanic take it for a quick test drive during your next oil change. GL.
Sponsored

sb92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
The best way to test is to turn the car off and pump the brakes 3-4 times. If the pedal becomes firm, and remains firm, your condition is normal and can be attributed to the operation of the booster. If you're really worried about it, ask that an experienced mechanic take it for a quick test drive during your next oil change. GL.

Thanks for that tip! I will try that.

mtbd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot Elite 2017
Hi,

Just checking if other owners have experienced this: During startup in the morning, if the car has not been used overnight or sitting for a long period of time, the brake pedal is very hard, and would not depress. Can't start a car without depressing a brake. It's not the weather cuz FL is hot. Thanks.

2016 Civic Sedan
Did you ever get this figured out? My Pilot 17 Elite is doing the same thing. Dealer can't or won't help, as they claim they can't duplicate it.

mtbd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot Elite 2017
I've experienced this issue too. I've brought it to the dealership and left it there overnight for two nights and they said they didn't experience anything.

My story on this:

When I initially start the car, the brakes are very firm (not like how brakes usually feel when you press down on them such as when you drive). Sometimes through out the day, I'll experience it again, sometimes I won't. It varies. People have explained to me about the vacuum and I understand that for the most part. But I'm confused on why it only happens now and then.

I'm still trying to find answers for this too because it's pretty risky having a new car yet issues like this arise...
My story exactly! Any new answers that you've found out?

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
my 2017 civic ex hatchback also has this stiff brake pedal on some mornings. Cant deperss the pedal much when I am about to start the car for the day. Other times I can depress it like normal. Hard to find a pattern it just seems random mornings for me.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
my 2017 civic ex hatchback also has this stiff brake pedal on some mornings. Cant deperss the pedal much when I am about to start the car for the day. Other times I can depress it like normal. Hard to find a pattern it just seems random mornings for me.
Normal operation of the booster.

The best way to test is to turn the car off and pump the brakes 3-4 times. If the pedal becomes firm, and remains firm, your condition is normal and can be attributed to the operation of the booster.

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
Normal operation of the booster.
Same here on a '17 Si. It happens a few mornings a week where it's very stiff like you'd pumped the pedal a few times, except it only sat overnight. I park on a slight incline and don't set the e-brake every night so the car starts rolling when this happens. I have to set the e-brake and jerk the car to a stop. In those instances, it's a concern as there could be a car or person behind me (live at apt complex). I get that vacuum will go to atmosphere eventually, but overnight seems too quick.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and check the frequency. May bring it to a dealer - I don't think I should have to set the e-brake every night or try to floor the brake pedal if it's stiff like that.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Same here on a '17 Si. It happens a few mornings a week where it's very stiff like you'd pumped the pedal a few times, except it only sat overnight. I park on a slight incline and don't set the e-brake every night ...
Set the e-brake every time you park.

mrscranky

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic ex
Did anyone ever get there’s fixed? I am having this same problem with my 2018 Civic ex. Can’t get it to duplicate. I think it is the vacuum booster, but not positive. Thanks!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Did anyone ever get there’s fixed? I am having this same problem with my 2018 Civic ex. Can’t get it to duplicate. I think it is the vacuum booster, but not positive. Thanks!
What's wrong?

A stiff brake pedal is normal.

Is yours completely soft and won't stiffen up if you push it a couple times?

You always set the e-brake when you park, too, right?

mrscranky

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic ex
Brake is sometimes hard as a rock after it has been sitting. The dealership has it since Monday trying to get it to recreate the problem but we all know that is not how it happens. When the brake is hard it won’t start if course because the car doesn’t see me trying to engage the brake for the push button start. I think it is the vacuum booster. I am hoping to find someone who has had this problem and gotten it fixed so I can tell the dealership.

Bonski98

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
I've experienced this issue too. I've brought it to the dealership and left it there overnight for two nights and they said they didn't experience anything.

My story on this:

When I initially start the car, the brakes are very firm (not like how brakes usually feel when you press down on them such as when you drive). Sometimes through out the day, I'll experience it again, sometimes I won't. It varies. People have explained to me about the vacuum and I understand that for the most part. But I'm confused on why it only happens now and then.

I'm still trying to find answers for this too because it's pretty risky having a new car yet issues like this arise...
I have a BRAND NEW 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX. I parked outside overnight and the next morning the brake pedal was so stiff I couldn't start the car. I just called the dealer and they acted like they never heard of such a thing, which is most likely bunk. I don't know how I actually got the car started. After about the 7th time of trying to move the pedal, it just started on it's own.

Ishikata808

First Name
Ishikata808
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe
Country flag
Hi,

Just checking if other owners have experienced this: During startup in the morning, if the car has not been used overnight or sitting for a long period of time, the brake pedal is very hard, and would not depress. Can't start a car without depressing a brake. It's not the weather cuz FL is hot. Thanks.

2016 Civic Sedan
Did u ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the same issue right now.

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
i had this problem on another vehicle (not honda).
basically the check valve for the vacuum in the brake booster is leaking,so you lose the stored vacuum overnight and pedal becomes stiff like pumping it a few times.
dealerships will tell you everything is AOK and that they tested the whole thing and its normal :rolleyes:
Sponsored