Stiff Brake Pedal

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
Anyone else getting an occasional stiff brake pedal at startup, like you pumped it a few times? I park on an incline and start to roll, and have to pull the brake and jerk the car to a stop. I don't always set my ebrake when I park, but don't think I should have to either... There's one post on the forum but I wanted to run it by you guys.
Sponsored

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else getting an occasional stiff brake pedal at startup, like you pumped it a few times? I park on an incline and start to roll, and have to pull the brake and jerk the car to a stop. I don't always set my ebrake when I park, but don't think I should have to either... There's one post on the forum but I wanted to run it by you guys.
ALWAYS set your ebrake! It you're having to turn off the car and then apply brake after you start to role, that will make the pedal stiffer next time you drive. My advice still stands to always set your ebrake.

OP
OP

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
It's stiff before starting. Foot on brake and clutch in to start, and the pedal gets stiff from sitting overnight occasionally. Does everyone else here set their ebrake every night?

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It's stiff before starting. Foot on brake and clutch in to start, and the pedal gets stiff from sitting overnight occasionally. Does everyone else here set their ebrake every night?
Yes! Assuming you're just leaving it in gear without applying the e-brake, you're just putting unnecessary strain on your transmission, especially parked on a hill.

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put my ebrake on whenever I turn off my car; regardless if on a hill or not. I strongly recommend you do so as well. I have even accustomed my wife to using the ebrake in her Fusion. Automatic or manual, do it.

OP
OP

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
Thanks for the replies all! I have been setting it more now, and will do it every time now. Thanks for the tips and advice!

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I put my ebrake on whenever I turn off my car; regardless if on a hill or not. I strongly recommend you do so as well. I have even accustomed my wife to using the ebrake in her Fusion. Automatic or manual, do it.
I thought the vehicle sets the e-brake automatically? That's what it does on mine I believe. Once you turn off the engine, and that is why your brake pedal is stiff at start up no?

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the vehicle sets the e-brake automatically? That's what it does on mine I believe. Once you turn off the engine, and that is why your brake pedal is stiff at start up no?
I think if you have the Brake Hold activated, upon shutting off the engine it may automatically engage the e-brake. I have heard that but never tested it out; so don't quote me on that one. However, I have never had the e-brake engage automatically after turning off the car, it only does so when I engage it.

After engage the e-brake you can feel the brake pedal pull in making it have less travel and be more stiff. But again I have always had to set the e-brake myself.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda recommends applying the e-brake before turning off the car. You do that to ensure the brake booster isn't heavily engaged full stop. Instead, pressure is facilitated by the rear actuators above the calipers.

I don't think it will hurt anything; just result in the "issue" you're describing.

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did confirm that if the BRAKE HOLD is set when the ignition is turned off, it does automatically engage the e-brake.
Sponsored