Sticky/crunching Shifter on Type Rs?

Is there also crunchy resistance in your Type R shifter?

• Total voters

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
I'm considering moving up to a Type R. I like my Sport Hatch, but hate the shifting.
There's significant resistance in/out of gears. I made a thread not long after delivery & sadly, nearly half of owners reported the same:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/tricky-shifter-new-2018-civic-manual.30101/

For those of you with one, is this a concern for Type Rs??

I allowed 2 answers in case issue's there, but fixable.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The shifter is one of the things the Type R is highly regarded for, having one of the best shifters in any manual.. well, ever.

The transmission does have some issues with gear grinding time to time. The shifter, however, is amazing.

OP
OP
Starion

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^ Gear grinding is my issue with the 1.5 Hatch sport. Trouble shifting in/out despite pedal fully pressed, even with vehicle not moving.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^ Gear grinding is my issue with the 1.5 Hatch sport. Trouble shifting in/out despite pedal fully pressed, even with vehicle not moving.
Does it actually grind and make you want to die inside or does it just lock you out? Lockouts are somewhat common among R owners too, but rare in how often it actually happens.

OP
OP
Starion

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It feels shifter &/or synchro related. Difficulty getting in/out of gear. Shifts have been missed before despite pedal to the floor, which = gear grind. It's well documented in the other 1.5 thread linked in the OP.

Is this the lockout you describe?

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
My car has 1,100 miles on it. I have gotten a few 2nd gear grinds, but 4th gear lockout happens often sigh

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag
2021 here with < 1000 miles. Only had a single 1st gear lockout but otherwise no grinds or funny business. Shifts like butter if you don’t force it into gear. One of the better-feeling cable shifters in the market but may leave you wanting for more if you’re used to a direct linkage shifter. Although comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges.

OP
OP
Starion

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2021 here with < 1000 miles. Only had a single 1st gear lockout but otherwise no grinds or funny business. Shifts like butter if you don’t force it into gear. One of the better-feeling cable shifters in the market but may leave you wanting for more if you’re used to a direct linkage shifter. Although comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges.
Thanks. This helps. I've had both including stock for both and several direct linkage short throws which are great. My 1.5 is just terrible.

haojohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Country flag
2018 CTR. Currently at 21k miles. 1st/2nd/4th crunching but not grinding, crunching not to severe so I can live with it. Changed Hybrid racing short shifter @ 15k huge improvement on crispy engage feeling but crunching still persists. Changed ACdelco friction modified trans oil 2 weeks ago, much much improvement, less crunching and I regret not having done that earlier.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
change the fluid, haven't had a lockout since and the trans shifts so much better
Sponsored