First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Hey Civic gang,

My defroster button is stuck in a pushed state. It still turns on when I press it but it also triggers whenever I hit a bump or touch anything around it (video below). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky Climate Control Button 20191004_014934

Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky Climate Control Button 20191004_014939

View attachment 178360

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Ricardowelch

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hey Civic gang,

My defroster button is stuck in a pushed state. It still turns on when I press it but it also triggers whenever I hit a bump or touch anything around it (video below). what happens if you put too much freon in a car? Visit Autguysland to find the answer. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

20191004_014934.jpg

20191004_014939.jpg

View attachment 178360
It is possible something wrong with the button. Another cause may be loose cable. I think you should check it.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I think a soda or coffee was spilled and is causing a sticky situation. Double check my suggestions; but De-Oxit or TV tuner cleaner (in a spray bottle with a straw), or maybe denatured alcohol would solve this issue.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think a soda or coffee was spilled and is causing a sticky situation. Double check my suggestions; but De-Oxit or TV tuner cleaner (in a spray bottle with a straw), or maybe denatured alcohol would solve this issue.

+1

Use only contact Cleaner with lubricant safe for plastic, Some low budget contact cleaner may melt the plastic.

OP
OP

jeffchp

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
I'll try De-Oxit, thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the button can be pried off and cleaned?

OP
OP

jeffchp

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
+1

Use only contact Cleaner with lubricant safe for plastic, Some low budget contact cleaner may melt the plastic.
I sprayed some contact cleaner on it prior to the post. For some reason it actually made it stick more.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'll try De-Oxit, thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the button can be pried off and cleaned?
I personally wouldn't try to pry it off.

But I'd take the plastic-safe cleaner and kinda direct it into the area near the top of the button (I'm guessing that's how the stuff got in). It may take several cycles of spraying and then repeatedly pushing the button to 'work' the solvent around the contacts. Or course... you should not do this with the system on. And you should let it dry completely before powering it up (at least a few minutes).

There was another thread where someone was experiencing the trunk opening by itself. It turned out that the previous owner had spilled something on the area near the release button. This is my hunch.

OP
OP

jeffchp

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
I personally wouldn't try to pry it off.

But I'd take the plastic-safe cleaner and kinda direct it into the area near the top of the button (I'm guessing that's how the stuff got in). It may take several cycles of spraying and then repeatedly pushing the button to 'work' the solvent around the contacts. Or course... you should not do this with the system on. And you should let it dry completely before powering it up (at least a few minutes).

There was another thread where someone was experiencing the trunk opening by itself. It turned out that the previous owner had spilled something on the area near the release button. This is my hunch.
Update for anyone else who has this problem:

Ordered a new climate control console, was a simple swap. Couldn't fix the sticky button with any of the suggested methods.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update for anyone else who has this problem:

Ordered a new climate control console, was a simple swap. Couldn't fix the sticky button with any of the suggested methods.
Thank's for report.
You don't know why button was sticky ?

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like there is some crud on the bottom of the recirc button, food/drink maybe? Anytime I need to unstick buttons like that I use hand sanitizer in the crevices and give the button like 50 presses, have to do a few treatments in a day or 2 and then less and less in the future. No damage to anything, in fact the button looks brand new after.

OP
OP

jeffchp

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Thank's for report.
You don't know why button was sticky ?
Bought the car used so my best guess would be the previous owner spilled something on it. Deoxit didnt help much.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bought the car used so my best guess would be the previous owner spilled something on it. Deoxit didnt help much.

You never say that before.... a used car .
And you never answer to message no 3 wich write a bout spill coffee or soda

Anyway issue is fixed now. :thumbsup:

Did you keep old parts ? Try to fix it.

VictorMet7

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
My brother had button is stuck in a pushed state, too. Only in contrast to your case, the air conditioner worked only if you press this button with all your strength. That was about a year ago. At first, it was normal to drive without air conditioning, but when summer came it was impossible. Then my brother's patience broke, and he decided to turn to the first service he saw when he was driving home. These guys https://www.socool.sg/ all was done twenty minutes, everything was done and my brother was calmed down. My brother still drives with this air conditioner and it still works.

Last edited:

ShinjiQ

First Name
Shinji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I personally wouldn't try to solve the issue on my own. When it comes to anything I don't understand, I wouldn't dare to try a hands-on approach. I went down to my local aircon company when I had an issue with my air conditioning knob too
Sponsored