steering wheel

abitolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 accord
Country flag
Is there any way of knowing if last years leather steering wheel could work with this years 2020 alcantara version, the alcantara in the covid19 era seems a poor choice for holding germs, just an idea. Would gladly replace if it was plug and play, apparently air bags are the same
Sponsored

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They are interchangeable, however i do believe the 17+ steering wheel from honda has been discontinued, You would have to find one on ebay or a parts site probably. Not sure who still has them in stock.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm not sure why you think Alcantara will hold germs and somehow leather doesn't?

To answer your question they're the same otherwise and you could swap them if you want.

They are interchangeable, however i do believe the 17+ steering wheel from honda has been discontinued, You would have to find one on ebay or a parts site probably. Not sure who still has them in stock.
I doubt this, car manufacturers have to keep making parts for a number of years after a model is discontinued so you should be able to order directly from Honda. They become less "in stock" or readily available over time as they become further away from the current offering, but they will be made for years to come.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not sure why you think Alcantara will hold germs and somehow leather doesn't?

To answer your question they're the same otherwise and you could swap them if you want.

I doubt this, car manufacturers have to keep making parts for a number of years after a model is discontinued so you should be able to order directly from Honda. They become less "in stock" or readily available over time as they become further away from the current offering, but they will be made for years to come.
Thats just what Ive read on these forums. Something like the part number supersedes to the new 2020 wheel. I saw how one guy bought a whole bunch in bulk for when they cannot be found anymore.
I could definitely be wrong, Ive been wrong before, just relaying what I heard.

OP
OP

abitolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 accord
Country flag

Alcantara is definitely more porous than leather, I know leather is porous but I would have no hesitation wiping it with an alcohol wipe, cannot see doing the same with alcantara. As an FYI called Honda Canada and asked how you clean the new wheel and what can a customer do to keep it 'safe' and they had no idea, said go to the dealer. And they made the car!

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just ordered one one on Honda parts direct for $126. Pretty good deal if you ask me and they are interchangeable.
if i bought a 2020 instead of my 19 type R i would have swapped out steering wheels i like the one on the 19 dont like the 2020 ones

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
if i bought a 2020 instead of my 19 type R i would have swapped out steering wheels i like the one on the 19 dont like the 2020 ones
Honestly, coming from an STi, one of my few complaints was I didnt like the OEM wheel. Felt thin, flimsy, the leather felt 'loose' in some areas and not tight and clean. I ended up opting for a buddy club wheel which i love, i like the fact that it looks very OEM, some people have actually asked if it came with the car. I also happened to pick up a cusom CF one from IG as well with real CF flat top and flat bottom. But im waiting to install that one. Gonna rock the buddy club for a bit.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, coming from an STi, one of my few complaints was I didnt like the OEM wheel. Felt thin, flimsy, the leather felt 'loose' in some areas and not tight and clean. I ended up opting for a buddy club wheel which i love, i like the fact that it looks very OEM, some people have actually asked if it came with the car. I also happened to pick up a cusom CF one from IG as well with real CF flat top and flat bottom. But im waiting to install that one. Gonna rock the buddy club for a bit.
i thought of buying the buddy club one dont like how they put the brand name on the front would been better with no name on it. but the reason i dont like the 2020 wheel is because of what its made of just does not belong on a steering wheel and just has a odd feel to it

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i thought of buying the buddy club one dont like how they put the brand name on the front would been better with no name on it. but the reason i dont like the 2020 wheel is because of what its made of just does not belong on a steering wheel and just has a odd feel to it
Although others may disagree, i happen to agree with you. I am not a fan of the alcantara on a steering wheel. Other interior parts are fine, but not the wheel.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although others may disagree, i happen to agree with you. I am not a fan of the alcantara on a steering wheel. Other interior parts are fine, but not the wheel.
I also agree. After my first R got flooded and totaled, I was looking at many other vehicles, one being the Kia Stinger GT2 I really disliked the Alcantara steering wheel.... Ultimately I went with the Civic Type R again. In the same color :)

Nothing that I test drove handled like the R does.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
An alcohol wipe is not going to ruin the Alcantara either, it’s suggested to be used to remove certain stains from the material. Though I would say even leather would be negatively effected if you didn’t follow up with a proper conditioning afterwards.

If you prefer the leather that’s fine, but it’s not like it would ruin the Alcantara wheel.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There is also Handcraftd on EBay that makes CivicX wheels. I know members in here have been able to get by offering as low as 200 dollars (full leather) or 250 (hydrocarbon).

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I put a leather cover on the alcantera wheel in my Type R. Cheap and cheerful option that also adds a bit more beef to the wheel.
Sponsored