Exavoltt

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a 21 type R with Titan7 TS5 18x9.5, swift springs, adjustable camber arms on the rear. I’ve had multiple alignments done, some of which did nothing, some of which actually worked…for a few days. The car drives perfectly straight but the steering wheel is still slightly off center to the left. I can’t keep paying for alignments, not sure what the issue is. I had the Honda tech take one of the teeth off the steering wheel column too and it went right back to slightly to the left. Anyone having same issue, fix?
Sponsored

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Are your alignment specs moving every time you get an alignment, prior to the alignment?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perennial issue for me, but just recently had it re-aligned back to straight after raising the car back up a bit. So far, so good. 🤞🏼

Wherever you get the alignment done, they should have a warranty, yeah? Like, within 30 days, if the alignment is off again, they should fix it.

OP
OP

Exavoltt

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Perennial issue for me, but just recently had it re-aligned back to straight after raising the car back up a bit. So far, so good. 🤞🏼

Wherever you get the alignment done, they should have a warranty, yeah? Like, within 30 days, if the alignment is off again, they should fix it.
The one shop I went to did, they did it twice and it didn’t do anything. Brought it to Honda and they got it right after like 4 hours and then it went back to being crooked.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one shop I went to did, they did it twice and it didn’t do anything. Brought it to Honda and they got it right after like 4 hours and then it went back to being crooked.
I suspect the original shop didn't do a four-wheel alignment, or otherwise didn't reset the Steering Angle Sensor, which needs to be done at every alignment. Typically, those are the issues that seem to prevent our cars from being corrected.

Honda probably did that, but why it shifts back to being off 🤷🏼. Is Honda's alignment warrantied?

OP
OP

Exavoltt

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I suspect the original shop didn't do a four-wheel alignment, or otherwise didn't reset the Steering Angle Sensor, which needs to be done at every alignment. Typically, those are the issues that seem to prevent our cars from being corrected.

Honda probably did that, but why it shifts back to being off 🤷🏼. Is Honda's alignment warrantied?
I watched them do it both times, they did.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Very slightly
I'd be curious to know what the before/after measurements are, i.e., right after it is corrected vs. when you bring it back in and the wheel is off center.

I've done thousands of alignments and if the steering wheel is off center after driving a bit, either your specs are changing after you leave, or your car is actually pulling and you can't tell, which could be due to radial pull or a hung caliper (unlikely - car would probably pull when braking).

Try swapping the left and right front wheels side to side and report back if anything changes.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
they probably centered the steering wheel with the steering column cover. the cover top doesnt sit truly flat with the ground, its slightly angled.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Had this issue after installing a new steering wheel. Went away when I installed springs oddly enough.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
try different reputable shops every time you do do an alignment. If you've had multiple alignments that didn't fix it. Sit in the car and straighten the wheel when the alignment is being done. Should be an easy fix for the alignment shop. Bottom line is long as you're able to drive straight and your tires are ok, nothing to really worry about besides annoyance.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
I will say that I also had this issue with my old FoST - after getting an allignment lol like end result of an allignment. Took it back and the tech had to use a tool to hold the wheel once centered then allign. Said he never had to do that before (free of course).

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
they probably centered the steering wheel with the steering column cover. the cover top doesnt sit truly flat with the ground, its slightly angled.
I've had the same with the two FK8s I've owned and this is what two different shops said. The steering column cover isn't straight so it gives the appearance of the wheel being off centre.

The steering angle sensor shows my wheel is at the correct setting which is what matters.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
If the front toe measurement is where you want it, you can change your steering wheel position by making small adjustments in the opposite direction on both front tie rods. It is important to keep the adjustments the same amount but opposite on both sides.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is why I don't mess around with alignment of the cars anymore unless it is really obvious. Every time I take my car in they say the alignment is off even though the car rolls straight with the steering wheel dead center. They say if I don't get it done it will make the tires were faster but I haven't noticed any difference after 36,000 mile and the tread patter looks like regular wear and tear to me. Always seem like a big scam to me.
Sponsored