Steering wheel locks

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Hi everyone!

I know that steering wheel locks are not the best way to prevent someone from stealing your car. I have seen the videos where people are using tools to break them off, cut the steering wheel or to pick them open. But for me it just adds an easy extra layer of protection.

Later on when it gets warmer Iā€™ll probably investigate into putting a kill switch in and I know that there was another thread about doing that. One of the things I hesitate about is that if I do put in a kill switch then the potential for something going wrong with that switch or getting switched off accidentally could potentially cause the car to stop running while driving. Iā€™ll figure something out later as to where to hook it up. Also if I go to the fuel pump route I donā€™t know if when someone does try to start the car with the switch off, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™ll cause the check engine light to come on. I wanna try to avoid doing that. Might look into the clutch switch.

But for now I ordered a twin hook Club off of Amazon. They run about $30. It fits on the steering wheel well and does not scratch the center steering wheel emblem.

For another layer of protection I use a single hook club facing backward which makes it harder for somebody who wants to pick it open. If you use the second club on top of the steering wheel I would advise putting a piece of cloth or something between the steering wheel and the club so it doesnā€™t scratch the top of your steering wheel. I actually got the second one for free off of craigslist. You can find them used for anywhere between $5 and $20 on Craigslist.

In addition to this for the home I have a metal box lined with heavy duty aluminum foil that I keep my keys in to protect any stray RF signals from being caught by anybody who would want to try to capture the signal.

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel locks 8DA22EB0-C9B6-4893-8C3B-3BD648CE7CD3
Sponsored

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
You already saw (no pun intended) the vids... Useless really... stall the thief a little... they just hack saw the wheel (or even remove it) in two places and gone in 60 seconds... happened by me already with that two club configuration (thieves just laugh) :p Get the solid thick steel one for the wheels... that'll take way longer to saw and most likely they aren't going to bother unless they crane it off the ground (that tow you see in europe) or tow it =D Had someone put front and rear wheel locks on... https://www.ebay.com/itm/3930653259...MIo93N-LW_7wIVeDizAB1gwgWYEAQYBCABEgLO2PD_BwE

... cause with a regular tow... two wheels gotta be on the ground and if neither the front or rear rotate... going to be very difficult to get on the truck/tow without hacking at least one off and that'll take way too long. Believe me ... we had some Nigerian outfits few years back doing this shit in Cali :p Russian gangs as well (with permission and a cut for the Mexican Mafia... they just can't waltz in here and do what they want on the La eMe's turf).

If they're going to go through the time and trouble of taking your wheels off and replacing it with another wheel/wheels to steal the car.... man they must really really want that car... that'll take a long time and depending on where you're at... really attract a lot of attention =) too many cameras floating around these days... Although original authentic OEM 20" CTR Honda rims are like $1500 each here at Honda... i kid you not! Like i said... this car is getting more and more popular on the boost hit list. The cars are not really for parts... they get shipped over seas where they can get a lot more money for them than the USA :p Just had a car theft down the block from me and a burglary on the next street over.... welcome to SoCal.

Don't do the metal box aligned with aluminum foil (faraday cage idea) because THAT only dampens the signal... it's not 100%... You need the proper mesh design so the external electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed so that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. Lexus owner found out getting jacked 3 times =) Spend 10 or 15 Bux and get the Faraday pouch. I live in one of the highest car theft areas in the USA... and watch out for leaving it in the garage. Coat hanger through the top weather seal... hit the lock... takes about six seconds... presto garage door open... jack your car (most people leave there keys in the car or not even locked let alone the valet key might be in there still ... manual/tool kit).

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
After seeing a vid of a guy driving with vise grips on the steering column, I don't think anything will stop a really determined thief.

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
the connection for the PTS can be found at the BCM. putting a switch on that wire to disable the PTS can prevent thieves from actually pressing the button.

Remote starts still work but still require pressing button for "takeover". Without that button functioning, they won't go anywhere

OP
OP
BABY NSX

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
After seeing a vid of a guy driving with vise grips on the steering column, I don't think anything will stop a really determined thief.
Thatā€™s very true. If a thief wants something, he/she will get it. Stuff I did is just to deter a few possible thieves for a cheap price. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood.

On an old Dodge Challenger site we had the same conversation especially as a number of guys had their Challengers/ā€˜Cudas stolen. Same conclusion, if someone really wants your car they will get it.
Sponsored